PDA

View Full Version : Locating a kill shelter

JGuitaristR
05-17-2003, 10:09 AM
Can anyone help me in finding a kill shelter in my area? google.com doesn't seem to be working very well. Thanks.

CameozMom
05-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Why do you want to locate a kill shelter?

JGuitaristR
05-17-2003, 10:16 AM
So I can adopt a cat from there.

CameozMom
05-17-2003, 10:18 AM
I am sorry...I have never heard it refered to as a kill shelter unless someone is TAKING a cat there! lol I am very sorry...I got my cat from a pet store. Petsmart gets their cats from the local animal shelters. I think it ends up being about the same price because when you buy a cat from there, it's already fixed, whereas if you get it directly from the animal shelter, you have to have them fixed. Sorry about the mix up!!

JGuitaristR
05-17-2003, 10:22 AM
No problem! I understand your concern. No need to apologize. :) I'd get a cat from PetSmart, which I was going to do recently, but the cats from PetSmart won't be euthanized if they don't find homes. I'd like to save a life. :) That's why I don't adopt from no-kill shelters... they won't be euthanized. I don't mind getting them fixed and other. As long as I'm givin' 'em a home, I'm fine with it. :)

CameozMom
05-17-2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks! I understand about wanting to get from a shelter! Most pet stores just keep cats until they sell them...but with Petsmart, they rotate cats in and out from the shelter to the store. So the ones in the store end up going back to the shelter if they aren't adopted....then if they don't get adopted there, they are either euthanized or sent to another store. I used to know this girl who worked there.

Kfamr
05-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Uh.... most shelters fiz their animals as soon as they get them or when they're old enough...... Why no just try petfinder.com ..... i'm not sure if there's kill all shelters but you can find an animal in your area who needs a home nonetheless.

CameozMom
05-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Yes, alot of shelters do that....however, alot of shelters don't do that right away. They wait until someone comes in to adopt the pet and then the "foster parents" have to pay for it. My boyfriend has a cat he got from an animal shelter in Virginia and he had to sign a paper saying that he was going to have her spayed. My sister got a dog from an animal shelter in Texas and they couldn't take him home without having him neutered. It all depends on if the animal has already been fixed.

Cheshirekatt
05-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Usually the local "Animal Control" or "City Shelter" are the kill shelters and the "Humane Society" are the no-kill shelters. Typically the city/town/county animal services have the highest euthanasia rates.

Kfamr
05-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Here, ours SPCA is a kill shelter, that's where we got Simba - The humane society is no-kill where we got Nala and Honey. Maybe try both kill and no-kill till you find one thta fits you.

Uabassoon
05-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Here the humane society and animal control are kill shelters. But getting them fixed is included in the adoption fee. I adopted Missy from animal control, and they made me wait until the following afternoon to pick up up because she had to get fixed.

marysmerrycats
05-17-2003, 05:31 PM
try your local humane society or animal control.
and sorry, like Cameoz mom, I also wondered why.

moosmom
05-17-2003, 07:33 PM
The Dearborn Animal Shelter where I volunteer always fixes the pets before they are placed.

When I adopted Doogie, he was fixed the day before he came home with me. The total cost was $70, which to me is a real bargain considering vets charge WAY more.

Good luck in your search for a cat. Try Petfinder.com. That's how I found Doogie. Alot of the Humane Society's also list their cats and dogs there.

carole
05-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Here in nz they put animals to sleep at the S.P.C.A if they dont find homes for them, but the cats protection league and human alternative donot, all animals are speyed or neuteured at all three, so thats good.
Anyhow good luck with your kitty find, i am sure you wont find it too hard to find a pussycat, let us know when u do and post pics plz,

marysmerrycats
05-18-2003, 01:56 AM
shelter to the store. So the ones in the store end up going back to the shelter if they aren't adopted....then if they don't get adopted there, they are either euthanized or sent to another store.

not the no kill shelters, they do not
euthanize them. thats why I would get them from the places that do, so they will live, but then there are some wonderful cats in the no kill shlters too that deserve to be out of their cages! see there is no way to win, just too many many cats. its so sad.
I just don't want to think about it anymore.:( :(

Uabassoon
05-18-2003, 06:16 AM
There are also some great No-Kill shelters where the animals aren't caged. I got Tibby from a shelter like that.

sasvermont
05-18-2003, 07:35 AM
I too thought this thread was going to be horrible, so I am just now getting around to opening it.

I know that all shelters will eventually pet an animal down if it is ill and beyond recovery.

Most shelters have difficult placements and would love to have someone take a special needs kitty.

As has been mentioned, lots of shelters are forced in to cutting the population at their shelters by putting pets to sleep.... and most will not say that over the phone.... although some will.... A cat/dog life is....no matter how you look at it....they all need to be adopted.....for one reason or another.... it should be the cat that works out for you....so that you will be happy and live a long life together....

I for one, just adopted a cat that is not for me, as it appears at this point anyway.... A careful evaluation of the pet/cat/dog should be your first item to consider.....after you decide on the shelter.... I didn't do this and I am very sorry.

Good luck in your efforts to find that perfect pet from a kill shelter.

I am sorry I was thinking so negatively about your thread title!

marysmerrycats
05-18-2003, 08:04 AM
A cat/dog life is....no matter how you look at it....they all need to be adopted.....
exactly! that's why I am against breeders, they bring more cats into this world for profit, and then it takes away from the homeless cats that need adopting. and possibly makes them have to be put down...:(

Ua-
yes there are, you are right. like the hermitage, thats where I got Patches and Charlie. but they were in cages, because they were kittens, to be safe from the other grown cats, which were roaming free:)

sasvermont
I feel terrible for you, I do really, you have had so much pain this year. I'm sorry it has not worked out for you with the new cat:(
keep trying, there is a cat or kitten waiting for you, you will find the right one!:) good luck to you!

moosmom
05-18-2003, 08:20 AM
SAS is right.

I know that all shelters will eventually pet an animal down if it is ill and beyond recovery.

When I did my orientation at the Dearborn Animal Shelter, they told us they are not a "totally no-kill" shelter, because there are times when they have to euthanize animals that are very VERY sick, or so dangerous they cannot be placed.

marysmerrycats
05-18-2003, 08:43 AM
yes, that's right Donna and sas... of course they have no choice, they told me that at the hermitage, if a cat is sick then it is the humane thing to do. and if it is beyond adopting...:(

that's why I want to be careful where I place George and Henry, because at first, you would swear they are un-adoptable! but after a couple days, they calm down, and are totally different! its like jekyll and hyde:eek: but they are not scared of strangers...when my mother saw them they couldn't have been more friendy! its just new places that frighten them.

I mean, to WHO i give them to, not bringing them to a shelter... but I wouldn't want the people to think they are always going to be mean.

Cisco's Mom
05-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
Usually the local "Animal Control" or "City Shelter" are the kill shelters and the "Humane Society" are the no-kill shelters. Typically the city/town/county animal services have the highest euthanasia rates.

Dido for me!!

marysmerrycats
05-18-2003, 09:53 AM
odd. I guess each states/city's humane society is different!

PayItForward
05-18-2003, 10:01 AM
It funny about the different opinions toward kill/no kill shelter.

Some people adopt from kill shelter , to save a life and I can understand this. But should we support these places.

I like to adopt from no kill shelters, in this way the no kill shelter should get more funding if the scheme is sucessful (i.e. If they have adopted more cats.)

I like to think that the adoption fee will go towards keeping a no kill shelter going.
As I have adopted cats from no kill shelters, they have spaces to take in cats, that might have ended up at a kill shelter.

I don't want to hand over money or encourage kill shelters to continue to run. I would rather support no kill shelters in the hope, that it becomes easy to adopt pets if your shelter is a no kill place.

This is why all three of our cats come from no kill shelters. :D

marysmerrycats
05-18-2003, 10:07 AM
As I have adopted cats from no kill shelters, they have spaces to take in cats, that might have ended up at a kill shelter.
VERY good point! I had not thoughtof that! I was confused, because there are good and bad points of both, kill and no kill. but now after reading what you said...hmm. will the kill shelters ever go out of business though?

As I have adopted cats from no kill shelters, they have spaces to take in cats
yep... I remember when I got Patches and Charlie, I was there to pick up only Charlie, with my mother, when she saw Patches, so we brought them both home, and the guy said, good now we can get 2 more.
:)

PayItForward
05-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Kill shelters probually won't go out of business and indeed I wouldn't want them too, they still help a lot of pets.

But it would be wonderful, if these shelters decided to become no kill shelters. :D

marysmerrycats
05-18-2003, 10:12 AM
that would be great!

K & L
05-19-2003, 01:58 PM
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~laird/animal_rescue/shelters

jenluckenbach
05-19-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
Not true. The Lehigh Valley Humane Society, which is in the town I live in IS the local KILL shelter. The best thing to do might be to try going to petfinder and locate all the shelters in your area and then read about them and try to determine which ones are no-kill and which ones are not.