PDA

View Full Version : One more Binx 'issue'

Cataholic
05-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Is it possible the flea/tick stuff I applied on his back caused a sore? I just felt a glop of fur, and after careful picking away, there is a small open sore....it is in the place I put the stuff, last week. I wonder if it 'ate' a hole in him???

I doused it with peroxide til it fizzed, and will put anti biotic on it in a bit...but, has this happened to anyone else?

Cheshirekatt
05-16-2003, 03:52 PM
I have never had this happen to any of my animals, but that certianly doesn't mean that it can't! You should definately call your vet and ask. Maybe it was itchy to him and he scratched the spot? He's a big boy, right? Did you put half on his neck and half above his tail? Which brand did you use? I've only ever used Advantage.

Cinder & Smoke
05-16-2003, 04:01 PM
:eek:

Hey BinxBoy ~

Thought you wuz gonna *lay-off* fur a while!???
Gollll-Lee! Give yur MawMee a break!!

Hey Mom ~

What WAS the stuff - name-brand or pet-store variety?

Most of the Flea/Tick med copmanies have 1-800 numbers that you can call for Information.

Cataholic
05-16-2003, 04:32 PM
I ordered, over the 'net, some Frontline Plus. I came to find out the sample I purchased was imported from Australia, against US Customs regs!!! Those Aussies, never, never trust 'em..:D

I located our Frontline people, and spoke with someone. He said it is rare, but, the sore developing HAS been reported. Once again, Binx steps outside the box...He said I can return it, as an exception since I didn't buy it from them or an authorized retailer, for full refund! But, I got to thinking...is ANY product going to do this? It seems that puppies with a sensitivity to alcohol and something else that i forget, can have this happen....

So, I will try it one more time, with a three point application area, and see the difference.

Thanks for your help!!

mugsy
05-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Geez, is he trying to give you heart failure here? C'mon Binx...give Mom a break. I would definitely call the vet. My guess is that it bothered him so he either scratched or chewed it raw.

Cheshirekatt
05-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Ya know....that's why I just buy my stuff at the vet. I know that you can sometimes get it cheaper over the net, but you just don't know what you're getting! I'm glad to hear that you got it some what straightened out. :) I think Binx just likes all the PT attention he gets. Hehe.

Cinder & Smoke
05-16-2003, 04:46 PM
Hmmmm; always wondered about those "Rx: Required" drugs you can buy over the 'net...

I used an application of Frontline Plus on both Cinder & Smokey last year when Cinder developed a tummy rash and a lot of itching. NO problems with either one of them. Can't remember the "Application Instructions", though. I wonder if you got "too much" in one place on his back?

I also think there are different "strengths" - depending on weight... Was the package marked with the right weight bracket for Mr Binx?

I'd suggest you ask the Vet before trying another application! *IF* he really is alergic to one of the ingredients - he *might have an :eek: worse reaction if given it again.

Cataholic
05-16-2003, 04:58 PM
I think I am just going to put Binx in the world's biggest curio cabinet, to protect him from the world's harm...

Course, when I look at him right now, front legs curled up tight like a baby, and snoring like a grown man...I know we will just have to keep dealing with these issues, and be thankful they are as minor as they are.

Cinder & Smoke
05-16-2003, 05:08 PM
Well... just looked on the Frontline Plus webby site...

"THEY Say" to dump it all in one spot...
"To Apply FRONTLINE Plus.
Place applicator tip through animal's hair to the skin level between the shoulder blades. Squeeze applicator, applying entire contents in a single spot to the animal's skin."

Seems to me I member Doc's Gurl saying to kind of run a stripe down their back - but making sure it went on the SKIN and not on the hair.

Dunno... sounds like all in one spot should not have caused a problem.

Here's the Merial/Frontline web site:
Frontline by Merial (http://frontline.us.merial.com/products/prod_plus.asp)

Cinder & Smoke
05-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I think I am just going to put Binx in the world's biggest curio cabinet, to protect him from the world's harm...

Best not the same kabinet ya store GranMaw's Best China in... :eek:

Ole Binx mite roll ober an knock inta sumpin. :rolleyes:

anna_66
05-17-2003, 07:29 AM
Poor litte big guy:( Almost seems like it's a never ending battle doesn't it?
We used frontline and never had a problem, maybe he just has sensitive skin:(

captain
05-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Hey, hey ........ you can trust us Aussies, Cataholic!!!!:D

Binx + curio cabinet = one almighty mess of broken china!!!

My Mum's dog also got a sore ONCE from Frontline. But he is OK now!

Chin UP Cataholic - maybe Binxy is like my Captain. He cost us a hell of alot of money in the first 8 months of his life ...... and now he is A-OK (5 years old now!)