PDA

View Full Version : what kind of oil?

wolfsoul
05-16-2003, 01:43 PM
What kind of oil is it that people feed their dogs to keep their coats shiny? I wanted to give some to the rats, but I don't know which kind to use...

My mom said it's probably caster oil, does anyone know? :confused:

GoldenRetrLuver
05-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Im not sure about giving rats oil..but i give a teaspoon of Canola Oil to Molly and Daisy, mixed in with their food:)

ramanth
05-16-2003, 02:51 PM
I give Kia Safflower oil. :)

I'd check with your vet to find out what oils if any to give to a rat. :)

wolfsoul
05-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys :) I was thinking about it being Canola oil, I'll look it up to see if it's aklright for rats, thanks :D

GoldenRetrLuver
05-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Your Welcome!:D :)

Cheshirekatt
05-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Ok so I've heard that oils like mineral oil and castor oil don't get absorpbed enough to be beneficial to the skin....they act more like a laxative. Now I have no idea if this is true or not. :D I'm sure some people have used those with success. I've always used either Solid Gold flax seed oil or 3-V Omega fatty acids (fish oil). I prefer the flax seed because the other makes Elvis smell a little "fishy" and he sleeps on my pillow. lol

Cisco's Mom
05-16-2003, 08:09 PM
I give Cisco Fish Oil that comes in capsules. It has omega-3 Fatty Acids that are good for the coat and the heart. I put a whole in the capsule with a knife and squeeze the oil on his kibble. It smells!! It sure does a number on his coat. He didn't like it at first, but now he loves it. I only give it to him a couple times a week, because this seems like it works well for him. I started this with the advice of my vet and you can buy these capsule at the wal-mart or any vitamin store. Talk to your vet about the dosage to use.

kingrattus
05-16-2003, 10:13 PM
With the food Max is on he doesn't need oil, his fur is very shiny, even when he hasn't had a bath in 6 months.

micki76
05-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
Ok so I've heard that oils like mineral oil and castor oil don't get absorpbed enough to be beneficial to the skin....they act more like a laxative.

Yep, they're both laxatives and stool softeners! :eek: Wouldn't use those unless you're a glutton for punishment! ;)