PDA

View Full Version : Well, looks like I'm off to the doctors :(

wolfsoul
05-15-2003, 09:50 PM
Remember my speel about my eyelashes falling out? Well, it's gotten worse - My hair is now starting to fall out :(

It's not too horrible...I have sooo much hair, so it's not noticable, it's so thick...

My mom finally agreed to take me to the doctor...I'm so scared that I'll have to get a needle :( I hate needles :(

But they may have to take a blood test :eek: If they do, please pray that I faint, I don't want to be awake for that :eek: I said I would agree to a blood test if they tell me my blood type...Always thought it would be neat to know.

I'm not ruling out hypothyroidism. I said before how irregular my "not so monthly" is...I read that symptoms can include loss of hair and eyebrows..

I thought it was just stress...:(...I hope that's all, I've been under ALOT of stress lately...My mom thinks that I have a vitamin defficiency.

Please pray for me, I know it sounds stupid, but I'm more afraid of getting a needle than anything :( And I don't want to have something wrong with me.

JGuitaristR
05-15-2003, 10:03 PM
:(I hope everything goes okay. I will be praying for you. Please keep us updated.

slleipnir
05-15-2003, 10:08 PM
I hope all goes well. My mom told me that once when she was younger she lost a lot of her hair because she was really stressed..and you say you are so maybe its related to that

Soledad
05-15-2003, 10:11 PM
I'll be thinking of you! I have hypothyroidism, actually, and it isn't that bad (in my case). It's treatable, which is a lot more than some people get, so don't worry too much. Think about how now you're going to be able to know what it is and control it to some extent.:)

wolfsoul
05-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Thanks everyone :) I know everyone here will be there for me :)

I have hypothyroidism, actually, and it isn't that bad (in my case). It's treatable, which is a lot more than some people get, so don't worry too much. Think about how now you're going to be able to know what it is and control it to some extent.

I'm so glad it's not that bad :D I was scared that it would be a horrible disease lol

I suddenly started thinking about cancer :eek: ...I don't think it's cancer, I don't have a family history of it, never once in my family has anyone had it,Except my baby Leather And doesn't cancer hit you pretty quickly? I mean, my hair has just gradually started falling out..

I don't think that's it at all, but I can't help but think...

popcornbird
05-15-2003, 10:19 PM
It may have to do with your irregular periods. You said that you always have them most of the time right? I wish you all the best luck. You don't want to your pretty hair to get thin. Hopefully it won't be a biggie and you'll be all well in no time! Good luck!

Aaah! :eek: Don't think of such things silly! It won't be anything bad hopefully! If its just a little minor hormone related thing, its very curable and isn't even a disease. Just the way some people are. Don't worry!!!!!

wolfsoul
05-15-2003, 10:27 PM

I'm starting to go through my whole list of symptoms lol..I'm a total hypochondriac...Somethings always wrong with me :rolleyes:

My left arm's been going numb lately lol..I swear I'm crazy! :p *sigh* I'm a wierdo..

popcornbird
05-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Ps. They probably will do a blood test, but don't worry. I got one a few months ago and was freaked out before it, but its not too bad at all. All you do is pull up your sleeve and close your eyes. ;) You will feel a little prick, but once its in, you can't even feel it. It doesn't hurt at all during the test, but your arm might be sore after, for the next few days. Its not too bad. Don't worry.

BTW, I have a feeling you're being a worry-wart and imagining things. ;)

Uabassoon
05-15-2003, 11:07 PM
Good luck at the doctors, hopefully it's just stress.

PayItForward
05-16-2003, 03:27 AM
All the best at the doctors.

Having injections isn't that bad, Good advice to close eyes. Don't forget to breath deeply.

tatsxxx11
05-16-2003, 04:36 AM
I'll be thinking of you and saying a prayer that it's nothing serious! If you get scared, just hang on to Mom!;)

anna_66
05-16-2003, 07:19 AM
I'll be thinking of you today, hope it's nothing serious.
Good Luck:)

Cataholic
05-16-2003, 07:28 AM
Good luck with the people white coats, AND, do not borrow trouble. Relax, relax, until you have something to worry about. I know it is easy for me to say it, BUT, you have to try to keep yourself in check....it will be helpful overall. Also, lots of people lose hair at various times in their lives. I know a vitamin def. can be the cause of it, among other things. Really, I don't know that hair loss is a sign of cancer, at least not in the early stages- which you would presumably be in, usually it comes about as a result of the treatment for cancer. So, deep breaths, positive thoughts, ok?

ramanth
05-16-2003, 08:43 AM
Prayers that the doctors get to the bottom of it.

*hugs*

zookeeperinaltha
05-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Good Luck at the Dr. appt. I pray that they find nothing serious! I am afraid of needles too! It's just the thought though, all you feel is the stick and it isn't that bad!

IttyBittyKitty
05-16-2003, 09:17 AM
I know how you feel - I lost a lot of hair when I was 16. I also hate needles! GOOD LUCK!!

zookeeperinaltha
05-16-2003, 09:20 AM
Good Luck at the Dr. appt. I pray that they find nothing serious! I am afraid of needles too! It's just the thought though, all you feel is the stick and it isn't that bad!

micki76
05-16-2003, 09:38 AM
Jordan-
Sounds like stress to me, too. I was under any enormous amount of stress as a young woman and had the numbness thing going on too and it turned out to be anxiety attacks. The hair and your periods can be from stress, but it could also be from HYPERthyroidism, which I have. My periods went wacko and my hair started to fall out, gradually getting worse. I also lost a lot of weight. That happens because your thyroid controls your metabolism. HYPERthyroidsim is when your thyroid OVER functions and sends out too my thyroid hormone. HYPOthyroidism is when it under functions, sending out too little thyroid hormone. The symptoms of HYPO are the opposite of HYPER, your period gets heavier, you gain wait, and hair usually thickens.
Hair loss is not a symptom of cancer. I know cause there's been a lot of it in my family. The hair loss is only from the chemotherapy.

Whatever the problem, take care of yourself!!!

Let us know what the dr. says.

Tina
05-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Good luck at the doctors today. Hope everything turns out alright:)

moosmom
05-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Wolfsoul,

I am ENVIOUS of your hair!! I have always had thin hair. I guess it's in the genes.

Good luck at the doctor's today. I'll be thinking of you. BTW, there is also a condition called Halopecia. It is a condition brought on by stress. My brother caused my SIL to get it during their very messy divorce.

Please keep us posted. ;)

slleipnir
05-16-2003, 12:06 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the radiation used to stop cancer cells from multiplying or w/e that makes your hair fall out, so you don't have to worry about that hehe

wolfsoul
05-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone :) I'm so happy that people here care, my mom is calling to sign me up for an appointment today :D

The hair and your periods can be from stress, but it could also be from HYPERthyroidism, which I have. My periods went wacko and my hair started to fall out, gradually getting worse. I also lost a lot of weight. That happens because your thyroid controls your metabolism. HYPERthyroidsim is when your thyroid OVER functions and sends out too my thyroid hormone. HYPOthyroidism is when it under functions, sending out too little thyroid hormone. The symptoms of HYPO are the opposite of HYPER, your period gets heavier, you gain wait, and hair usually thickens.

Well, I always prided myslef on having a great metabolism lol. It may be over functioning, and I noticed last month that my period was shorter and less heavy. (Get this, my mom told me to keep track so I could tell the doctor the amount of days I had it, anything unusual, stuff like that: I forget to keep track of it when I had it for 26 days, and the time that I DO remember, I have it for only eight days! stupid conspiracies.. )

I don't seem to be losing weight...I don't think lol...now I have to go check...

I lost three pounds! lol..:D

I think it's very possible that my thyroid could be over-functioning. All I ever do it eat and eat and eat and sit at the computer and the TV all day lol (except the one hour to five hour period that I bike with Timber, but I can't see that my biking would help me lose weight any..)

I am ENVIOUS of your hair!! I have always had thin hair. I guess it's in the genes.
Lol, thanks so much! I love compliments :) Thick hair is definatly in my genes, I got it from my dad...Along with everything else lol....got his nose too grrr

05-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Good luck at the doctor, Wolfsoul! Don't worry to much, you will be fine:) :)

popcornbird
05-16-2003, 12:15 PM
I had *and still do have* the opposite *period* symptoms. Unlike your's being over frequent, mine is kinda, under-frequent. The length etc. is pretty much normal (4-7 days) but I pretty much never know when its going to start. Sometimes it comes after1 month, sometimes 1 1/2 month, sometimes 2 months, sometimes even 3, and once or twice it has gone longer, but recently its been coming mostly after 1 1/2 - 2 months. My mom wants to take me to the doc but I'm terrified of the doctor (don't ask me why) and always refuse to go. Maybe after you go I can think about it. ;) I did get a blood-test for my thyroid gland several months ago though (not a checkup, just blood test) and it came normal, thank God. I was worried about having a slow thyroid, but thankfully its normal. Its best to get checked though! ;) *tell me that* :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't think it could be anything but a hormone imbalance now.........which I'm still scared to go to the doctor for, but someday, just someday, I know my mom will make me. ;) Good luck and let us know how it goes!

slick
05-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Good luck at the docs. I'll be praying for you.

I'd give anything for thick hair. Mine is so baby fine it drives me nuts!!

micki76
05-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Just wondering if you've been to the Dr yet? Are you doing ok? Let us know!

wolfsoul
05-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Not yet :( My mom keeps forgetting to call the doctor and I don't get home from school in time to remind her..I know, it shouldn't be hard to forget when your daughter's eyelashes are gone!! >_<

I'm feeling fine, thanks :) My eyelashes are all gone on the top, and on my left eye they are all gone on the bottom :( There is some on my bottom right eye..

My hair isn't doing too bad, it's still falling out, but it's not too noticable lol..my friends like to come along and pull it out..:rolleyes:

I'm going to get her to call the doctor tomorrow hopefully..She was supposed to make an appointment ages ago!

Thanks for your concern :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
05-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Oh NO! Wowies! Don't worry I am scared of needles too... I REALLY hope you get better... I'm worried for you... I hope nothings wrong...

GET BETTER, DANGIT! :)

I'll be praying for ya...

~Talk to ya soonies!~
Meg

SeamusK
05-22-2003, 08:41 PM
:( I Hope You get better soon!

primabella
05-22-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm a huge worrier and I just hope all goes well. Besides, doesn't hair only fall out form cancer because of the treatments you go through or the medication you take? Anyways good luck and keep up updated! Sending some prayers along the way~:D

RockyRoad
05-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Jordan,

I'm petrified of needes. I have to get a blood test tomorrow, orders of my intestinal dr. :( I'm so scared, that last time my mom took me I would not get out of the car, and we ended up leaving. OK, sorry, just really worried...

You'll be fine. I'm glad you're going to go to the Dr. soon, and I'll be praying it is something small. :)
{{Hugs}}

wolfsoul
05-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Britt,
oooh, you have to get a blood test?! I'm sooo sorry..lol...I make it sound like your dieing :rolleyes: I hope it's nothing serious, if you don't mind me asking, what's it for?

Nomilynn
05-22-2003, 10:43 PM
I have to go in for blood tests every three months (diabetic). Every time they put a needle in my arm, my veins retract. The only vein that works if the one on the back of my left hand. There is a product called "Emla" that numbs the area before the needle goes in, and you honestly can't feel ANYTHING. I hate blood tests and getting shots (from someone who isn't me) so I searched until I found something to make the experience more comfortable. Maybe talk to your doctor and the pharmacist about this product? Good luck :)

wolfsoul
05-22-2003, 10:49 PM
I'll defintaly talk to my pharmacist about that product, thanks! :) Anything to get rid of the yucky feeling....blah...:o

carole
05-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Believe me its taken me years to finally get over being terrified of needles, now i realize i get worked up about nothing , but i still will, so remember its only a little prick usually and all over and done with, i need to take my own advice here,
As for the thyroid maybe causing your problem, i wonder are you hyper most of the time, my mother had that and she could not sit still for one minute just wondering. good luck

wolfsoul
05-23-2003, 10:05 AM
i wonder are you hyper most of the time, my mother had that and she could not sit still for one minute just wondering. good luck
Well, sometimes...And when I get hyper, I get reeeeally hyper :p And I really embarass my friends on purpose heehee ;) But only about 1/3 of my time is spent being hyper...It usually takes a certain setting, or a certain person to wake me up and jump around and get all hyper ;)

I lost some more weight --- But hey, that's not all too bad, right? ;) I'm down to 120...I lost six pounds :eek: