PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if your cat is an alpha?

Soledad
05-15-2003, 09:25 PM
I'm looking to get Boo a brother or sister when we get to the States. How can I know if Boo will be good with another cat and what sex I should get?

Miss Meow
05-15-2003, 10:59 PM
You will never know for sure until he's with the new cat, but I think the fact that he has his little girlfriend up the road is a good sign. Maybe you could note her personality traits and look for the same in your next cat. It would be good if you could see cats interacting with each other before selecting one so you don't get the alpha from a group.

We introduced Tabasco and Pickles into the new house before it had Mini and Jasmine's scent and while they were all insecure about the new surroundings. It was the first time they'd moved so I can't be sure, but I feel it helped them integrate more quickly because they were all in the same 'new house' situation.

How exciting, not long until you leave!

Soledad
05-15-2003, 11:15 PM
We're going the week after next!! I'm so anxious/nervous/excited.

krazyaboutkatz
05-16-2003, 12:56 AM
If Boo is easy going and laid back then he should do well with another male or female cat. I have 3 males and it seems like males are better at living in multi-cat households than females but there are always exceptions to the rule. My cat Storm is the alpha cat and also my first cat and oldest cat. Boo may become the alpha cat to his new brother or sister or the new cat may take charge. You'll just have to wait and see. You just don't want to get two dominant cats together because this won't work. Good luck. I can't wait to hear about your new cat and see his/her pictures. :)

Cataholic
05-16-2003, 03:46 PM
I cannot believe it is almost time for the move!!! I would be soo excited/nervous/scared!!

As to Boo and another kitty, I have only had luck with my integrations. Tex was an only boy for 4 years? He has acclimated to three girls and two other boys. Well, I think he is acclimated to Minnie. Four of the five were kittens. Minnie was 1.5 years...and the only hissing that goes on in my house is Allie and it is usually at her BROTHER Dakky, go figure. I think it will work out.

Good luck to the three of you!!!