PDA

View Full Version : Please say a prayer for my parents.

anna_66
05-15-2003, 05:53 PM
I just talked to my mom and her & my dad had an accident on their motorcyclelast night when they were coming back from Myrtle Beach. From what I can get, they went there and had the back of the bike transformed into a trike. Well, I guess something went wrong on the way home and dad couldn't control the bike. They hit the guard rail and both of them were thrown off. Dad has a concussion & my mom has a broken wrist (broke in a few different places), and of course they both are battered and bruised. They are being discharged from the hospital which is about and hour or so away from where they live, so their friends are going to go get them.
I'm still pretty much in shock & don't quite know what to make of all of this. Mom said she'll call me whenever they make it home. She was so upset when we talked, she said both of them were knocked unconscious, and when she came to she couldn't find my dad, and when she did see him, he was a bloody mess:( I hate that I live so far away from them:( But I am thankful that they are both alive.
Thanks for listening, I really needed it.

PayItForward
05-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Thinking of your parents, may they heal quickly.

bluekat
05-15-2003, 06:00 PM
OMG, I'm so sorry to hear about this......I would be very worried if I were you:( I hope its not too serious, and I'm praying that they'll recover quickly.

slick
05-15-2003, 06:02 PM
When I see threads like this I count my blessings that my Mom only lives 15 min. away. God, please take care of Anna's parents and speed up the healing.

Cinder & Smoke
05-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Anna ~

{{{Huggs}}} to you AND The Folks!!

So glad they weren't hurt too badly.
Wishing them both a Speedy Recovery! ;)

/s/ Phred

Soledad
05-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Oh, Anna. I'm sending you and your parents my love and well wishes.

Cookiebaker
05-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Ooh, Anna, that's sounds horrible! Thinking of you and your folks, and hoping that they recover soon. Go hug those furbabies of yours, they are the best medicine.

RockyRoad
05-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry about your parents' accident, Anna. Prayers are on the way that they will have a succesful recovery. You'll all be in my thoughts.
{{{Hugs}}}

mugsy
05-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Prayers and wishes of good luck to your parents.

robinh
05-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Wow, that's scary!! I'll definitely say a prayer for you, Anna and for your family.

RICHARD
05-15-2003, 06:26 PM
give them a huge hug when you see them and
think about ALL the times they said to you something like....

"I don't want you......."

"You are never again going to..."

"If I ever hear about you....."

"Get rid of that......"

"It's about time you get rid of that....."

and fit the word 'motorcycle' at the end of those sentences.

but tell them that you love them first!!!!;)

carole
05-15-2003, 06:28 PM
How frightening for you anna, i am so glad they seem to be ok, my thoughts are with you, and i wish your parents a speedy recovery, take care

RubyMutt
05-15-2003, 06:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this :( Please be strong. You parents will be in my thoughts, I hope they make a speedy recovery!

My dad was once in a motorcycle accident... he and a friend were both in comas... my dad has never gotten back on a bike, but he and his friend have both made full recoveries. I hope your parents will do the same!

Miss Meow
05-15-2003, 08:07 PM
Oh no. I hope your parents are on the mend quickly. Must've been a big scare for them, particularly with your mum not being able to find your dad.

lizbud
05-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Anna,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom & Dad. Hope they get to
feeling better soon. That would be so scary to hear such bad
news over the phone. You all will be in my prayers tonight.Liz.

zippy-kat
05-15-2003, 09:04 PM
{{anna & family}}

thinking of you guys....

marysmerrycats
05-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Anna
so sorry to hear this terrible new, but glad they are going to be ok! did they have their helmets on?
how very scary for you.
prayers on the way for them to recover fast!

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-16-2003, 03:15 AM
Anna, I am sorry to hear about your parents' accident. I know how it feels to be so far away from them. Especially in times when they need to be comforted. I hope they are both feeling better and on the mend.

Hugs to you.

anna_66
05-16-2003, 06:33 AM
Their friends called me when they got home last night (about 12:30) and told me my mom wasn't able to come home.
Actually my dad shouldn't have either, but he more or less told the drs. he was leaving...period. I found out he also has a scull fracture and has staples in the top of his head & quite a few stitches in his face.
I guess mom is worse than she told me. Not only did she break her wrist, I guess it's shattered. I wonder if they'll have to put one of those things on her (like a brace on the outside)? Her whole body is swelled, expecially her arm and her legs. She hasn't been able to eat or go to the bathroom, as of last night.
It's so hard to go back to sleep after finding out things were worse than you thought.
Rhonda (moms friend) said that mom just cried when she found out dad was leaving, that in it's self makes me want to cry my eyes out:( I hate the thought of my mom crying. She is too good of a woman, she doesn't need all of this.
I'm sorry I keep rambling, I'm just really worried about the both of them.
Thanks so much to all of you, your replies mean the world to me.

And no, they're is no helmet law in SC so they didn't have their helmets on:rolleyes:

Pam
05-16-2003, 07:10 AM
Oh Anna that is scarey! I am grateful that your dad is well enough to be released, even though it sounds like he should have stayed in the hospital for longer, and will pray for your mom's recovery. It sounds like she has some really bad injuries but she survived what sounds like a really terrible accident. You can certainly be thankful for that!! Without helmets, it could have been so much worse. (((hugs)))

Cataholic
05-16-2003, 07:11 AM
Oh, Anna, I am sorry to hear that!! I hope they both mend quickly, and I have to follow Richard's warning... no motorcycles!!

Logan
05-16-2003, 08:32 AM
Anna, I hope your mom will be able to come home soon. Remind me where they live........I have forgotten.

I hate motorcycles and my husband wants one so badly. He promises he would always wear a helmet, regardless of the law, but I still hate them and really, really don't want him to get one.

4 Dog Mother
05-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear of your parents' accident, Anna. It is always hard to be too far away to go help in situations like this. (or to go check out the situation.) It is hard when your parents are hurt. You are used to being the ones looking to them for help, comfort and aid and it gets turned back around on you.

My parents were in an accident in Missouri a few years ago. They live only 30 minutes away but it was a day or so later before they called and told anyone and then it was my sister who happens to be their insurance agent. My mom was pretty badly bruised from the seat beat and in extreme pain. They gave her pain pills in the emergency room and told her to see her dr. when she got home. Well, they got home on a Friday and she still had a few pills left so she didn't call the dr. I guess she thought the pain would just disappear. We went to see her on Sunday and neither she nor my dad got any sleep the night before because she was in such pain. It was so weird taking over and making my dad call the drs. office on a SUNDAY (I guess you have to go through 3 kids and all their illnesses to know drs. are available on the weekends in an emergency). Within an hour, my mom had the needed pain pills. Then I had to make sure they called the dr. the next day so she could get in. She had to go through a lot of physical therapy because her arm and back were severely strained.

I hope all goes well with your parents, Anna. Don't be surprised if you have to "encourage" them to do the things they need to do to get better.

IttyBittyKitty
05-16-2003, 09:21 AM
It must have been awful to hear of that accident! My parents both live in another state and I am only 21 and miss them like crazy at times. I know how you feel!

mugsy
05-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Will keep the prayers coming. I sure wish your dad would have stayed with your mom and gotten better together. Please let us know their progress. We will be thinking of you.

tatsxxx11
05-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Oh no, Anna:( How frightening for you and your parents!! Thank goodness they were not even more seriously injured!! I can't imagine how they avoided serious head injury with no helmets on!! They had a guardian angel looking over them for sure! I didn't even realize there were any states that did not require helmets! :eek: I love the IDEA of riding on motorcycles, but still, they frighten me to death. I've taken care of too many horrificly injured motorcycle accident victims in the OR/RR not to be wary. I'm sorry to hear that your Mom is now alone in the hospital; she sounds to be so badly banged up and it sounds like her wrist might need internal pinning/fixation. Ugh! Still, she's blessed to have survived and to have such a loving and caring daughter as you! Please know I'll be keeping them, and you, in my thoughts and prayers. {{{hugs}}} Love, Sandra

moosmom
05-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Anna,

I'm so sorry to hear about your parents. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

[[[[hugs]]]]
Donna

ChrisH
05-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Oh, Anna, I am so sorry to hear about your parents being injured. Prayers, positive thoughts and well wishes sent for you all.

Many Hugs
Chris

Albea
05-16-2003, 12:22 PM
So sorry to hear about your parents' accident. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery are going their way.

MaxandSpike'sMom
05-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Anna,
So sorry to hear of the parents accident. I also didn't realize that there are still states that don't require helmets when riding on a motorcycle.
I know how that feeling is when you get the phone call. My mom lives in Florida and I am in PA. A couple years ago my mom decided to get her daily walk in early and she was hit by a car while walking accross the street. Your heart just sinks when you get that phone call.
I hope your Parents are on their way for a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted!

I have worked in the medical field for almost 20 years and 8 of them were with an Orthopaedic Surgeon. So, I hope all goes well with your mom's wrist. And your Dad I sure hope he is feeling better.

We will certainly keep them in our thoughts and prayers!
Please keep us posted on their condition.

God Speed to them both.

slick
05-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Just now read the update. Prayers are still coming your way. BTW, how's the quit smoking project coming along. Please don't let the stress of this make you go back to smoking. Things have a way of turning out OK. We're all here for you.

lovemyshiba
05-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Anna I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. I will keep your parents in my prayers, and hope for a full recovery for both of them--your dad sounds like my dad--he probably would have left too--men!!

carole
05-17-2003, 04:59 AM
Gosh Anna how awful for you, i do hope you mum gets better soon, keep us posted on her recovery,helmets are law in all of new zealand even if you ride a bicycle, one can see why.
well take care and thinking of you and hoping all is well soon

anna_66
05-17-2003, 06:59 AM
I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing:(

I talked to her last night when I got home from work. She said she didn't even think the morphine they were giving her in the hospital was working until they took her off it:eek:said she had hurts she never even knew she had:eek:.
She is bruised from head to toe, and still really can't eat. Good thing...she's not throwing up, bad thing...she really hasn't ate anything to throw up:( She said the both of them are extremely tired, hadn't slept since Wed. morning because of the pain. From what they tell mom went over the guardrail (dad said her leather jacket was ripped to shreds) & he hit the rail with his head *ouch!* and kinda went sliding of his face down the pavement.

Dad went back to Myrtle with the bike & talked to the people who put it on, had 4 different people inspect it, and of course they said there was nothing wrong with their product:rolleyes: I guess they've already had 3 or 4 people sue them before and all of them lost because they couldn't find a problem with their product. Anyway they were going to charge dad $700 to take it off:eek: Needless to say, he didn't have to pay that and got his money back for the setup.....that's it, nothing more. Isn't that crazy? I would be so :mad:
I want to go down there, but I don't know if I should wait till mom has the surgery on her wrist, or just go down now. Stupid question, but what would you do?

lizbud
05-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Oh Anna, I'm so sorry to hear how badly your folks were
hurt. :( If it were me, I'd want to be there & see them in
person, but that's me, and I don't know your situation or if
that's even possible for you to go anywhere right now.Do you
have any other family members or close friends who could stay
with them for awhile.If you Dad has bad head injuries, should
he really be traveling anywhere? I feel so bad for you & them
in this situation. I will certainly keep you all in my prayers.
{{{{{HUGS}}}} Liz & Smokey.

Cataholic
05-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Anna,
Go when it will be the most helpful for them...that might be before, or, it might be after the surgery. OR, if you can afford it, go now through the surgery!! Do what is in your heart, the rest of the stuff can wait..... I hope they mend quickly!!!!!!
Hugs,
Johanna

MaxandSpike'sMom
05-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Anna,
What a difficult decision you must make. I also don't know what the situation is.... Can you take off now?...Can you afford it?...Is there anyone who is located close to your parents that could go and check on them for you? If so, then maybe that could help you decide easier. Good Luck and we will still keep your parents in our thoughts and prayers!

Please keep us posted!
I wish there was something I could do???(sorry) I'll just keep praying!!

Karen
05-17-2003, 07:34 PM
I'd go now, if it's financially feasable, and your employers are okay with it. Just me, but I'd be on the next car/plane/train/bus heading that way!

My Dad is visiting friends in Western NY this weekend, and there's roof repair involed. I think I told him 5 times in three minutes "No falling off roofs!" "No falling off roofs!" "No falling off roofs! You're breakable, remember?"

I'd have the bike inspected yet again. If other people have had accidents, maybe they need to tell people they have to "train" on the modified bike before they can take it on the road.

I think the next holiday/birthday you should buy them matching motorcycle helmets.

anna_66
05-17-2003, 10:43 PM
I've decided to go down there monday. I only have 1 brother & he lives in AZ & I know he isn't able to go & they have their neighbors (the ones who brought them home from the hospital) to look after them. I can only afford to take off work till Friday, so that's what I'm going to do. My work said whatever I need, they are so wonderful about things like that:)

I think the next holiday/birthday you should buy them matching motorcycle helmets.
Good idea Karen, think I'll do that:D :D

krazyaboutkatz
05-18-2003, 01:07 AM
Anna, I'm just now reading this post. I'm so sorry to hear about your parents terrible accident. :( I'm glad that they're home now. Prayers are on the way for a speedy recovery. I'm so glad that you're able to go see them too. Please have a safe trip. Take care. {{{HUGS}}}

mugsy
05-18-2003, 05:48 AM
Give your parents a hug for us! I'm with Karen....matching helmets and an independent examiner.

MaxandSpike'sMom
05-18-2003, 10:39 AM
Anna
Have a safe trip and matching helmets are a great idea!

Keep us posted on their recovery! We are sending prayers their way!

Tina
05-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Anna,

I'm sorry to hear about your parents:( You and your parents will be in our thoughts and prayers. Hope that you have a safe trip there.

Cincy'sMom
05-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Have a safe trip tomorrow. Prayers for your travels and your parents speedy recoveries.

AmberLee
05-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Holding you all in my prayers. Have a safe trip! Any way you can drop us little updates while you are there?

concerned,
A.L. and C. & L.

shais_mom
05-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Prayers and thoughts going your way Anna
Have a safe trip!!

anna_66
05-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
Holding you all in my prayers. Have a safe trip! Any way you can drop us little updates while you are there?

concerned,
A.L. and C. & L.
No, unfortunatly they don't have a computer and live quite a ways out of town, but I'll try to let you know how they are when I get home (Thur night or Fri morning).
Thanks for all the well wishes & I'll give them both a big hug Molly:) (probably lots of them!).
Talk to you all when I get home!

KYS
05-18-2003, 10:14 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your parents.

Thank G-d they will be allright.
I will pray they both have a speedy revovery.

Logan
05-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Anna, please travel safely. I know your parents will be so happy to see you. It might help their healing more than you know!! :)

I heard on the news this morning that there were over 300,000 bikers at Bike Week in Myrtle Beach this past week (10 day rally). Eight motorcycle riders lost their lives. None of them were wearing a helmet. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Oh Anna! I'm just getting caught up and just saw this. I'm sooo sorry!

I know exactly what you're going through! My parents were in a bad car accident about 3 1/2 years ago (Sept 29, 1999 to be exact). They were in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it ended up rolling over into the ditch. My dad, being the stubborn old man (sounds like your dad might have some of these similar traits ;)) wouldn't wear his seatbelt. He was thrown into the back seat. My mom, who was wearing her seat belt, was left hanging upside down until help came.

We got the call Sunday evening. My mom had a broken knee and bumps and bruises. My dad, on the other hand, didn't fair quite so well. When I got the call Sunday night, they didn't know if he was going to make it or not. He had a fractured pelvis, cracked ribs, had cracked his head on the B-pillar of the vehicle and most importantly - he had internal bleeding that they hadn't been able to stop all day.

....so anyway, I keep getting off track....they ended up in different hospitals because they had to air lift my dad to a major trauma center in Duluth, MN. My one brother and I headed up by my mom as soon as we could (7-8 hour driver from Chicago). My dad's brothers and sisters went up to see him right away, so we went to my mom first. By this time my dad was stable, but not totally out of the woods. But he was really out of it because of the bump on his head.

...ok, the point I'm trying to make is, go now. If at all possible, go back when your mom has the surgery, but definitely go now. I see you're planning on going Monday. I'm glad because even though your mom might talk ok on the phone, and your dad seems to be ok, they need you right now - more than they probably know themselves.

I spent as much time as I could with them, and my boss was sooo nice and extremely accomodating which really helped. Now that it's been a few years, it turns out my dad doesn't remember anything of the first 3 weeks he was in the hospital. He doesn't remember the accident at all, and barely remembers that morning. I'm sure he's subconciously blocking it out, but I'm also sure that subconsciously he knows we were there. My mom was so grateful to have us there. If for nothing else but to distract her so she didn't just sit in hospital bed thinking about what had just happened. After they got home, I went up as often as possible (3 hour drive) just to be there and help however I could.

They both have lingering effects/pain from the accident, but are otherwise doing quite well.

Buying them helmets, or at the very minimum, stressing that they must wear helmets from now on would be a good thing. If we can get my stubborn dad to wear a seat belt (and we did get him to! Hooray! :) ) you should be able to get your mom and dad to wear helmets.

After I saw what a bump on the head can do - from inside a car! - I started wearing my helmt when I rode my motorcycle. However, just the whole experience of seeing them in the hospital, my dad being loony for awhile, and other various factors - I gave up riding my motorcyle and it is now for sale. I think the main reason behind that is because I know what I went through when they were in the hospital, and I would never want them to have to go through that if something happened to me on the bike.

It's all very sad, and I now just about break out into tears anytime I hear of a major accident where people are seriously hurt. I hope and pray everything turns out well for your parents, and they have no lingering/long term effects from the accident.

Big, big {{{hugs}}} to you. Go be with them. They need it and you need it too. :(

Sorry this is so long, but I tend to rattle on when it comes to my parents' accident. It was really quite the traumatic time for them, but also for me and my brothers and we're all still recuperating emotionally from it.

captain
05-20-2003, 06:24 PM
Anna,

I have just found this post, and send you all my very best wishes and prayers.

In Australia, you can take a car or motorbike to an independent person to have them check it. Can you do that in the States? I would take it to an indep. person to make sure the conversion to trike bike was good (or bad!!!).

Let us know. My thoughts are with you.

Sudilar
05-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Oh my goodness, Anna!!! I just saw this post now!! What a terrible accident. I hope your parents get better quickly. My prayers are with you and your parents. Sending a big hug to you and your Mom and Dad.

anna_66
05-23-2003, 08:49 AM
I hated to leave yesterday, but I guess that's life.
Mom had her surgery yesterday, I guess they said that the bones were just powder in her wrist:( She was in so much pain after the surgery they thought they were going to have to admit her, but she pulled out of it after about 7 hours in recovery.
Tuesday we went to the drs to have it checked & see if the swelling had went down and omg, she was in so much pain, that I thought I was going to pass out just watching her, I acutally almost threw up:rolleyes: I know, I suck. I just couldn't stand seeing her in so much pain.
And dad, what can I say....he's hard headed! They took the staple & stitches out Wednesday....well most of them. They actually missed 4 staples & a few stitches & dad pulled them out himself:rolleyes: I just don't know about him sometimes! He's actually healing very fast & very well. He always said his hardheadness would pay off someday!
Thanks for being so supportive everyone, I really appreciate it, I think all the prayers really helped!

T & P's mom~I can't even imagine what you went though. I feel so lucky that it wasn't worse. I'm glad to hear your parents are doing fine. I think mom will always have problems, and maybe dad too, but I guess only time will tell. Hopefully the surgery works, otherwise she won't be able to bend her wrist.
4 Dog Mother~I'm glad to hear your parents are doing ok now, & your right, you do have to "encourage" them to do things, even when it comes down to taking medication for the pain:rolleyes:
MaxandSpike'sMom~You never know when an acciedent will happen. How is your mom doing?
tatsxxx11~Yep Sandra, she had the pins & rod put in yesterday & the put a giant cast on her again. She has to wear it for 6-8 weeks:(
And here, they even posed for a pic with their war wounds;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p12b270c26890d97aafccca844ec11b5a/fc17e750.jpg
I'd show you the pic of dads head, but it would gross you out:p

mugsy
05-23-2003, 08:58 AM
Anna, I'm sorry your mom is in so much pain. WOW! Do you look like her. Your dad sounds like mine and like Mike! lol I hope they heal quickly. Thanks for the update.

Cataholic
05-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Oh Anna,
That picture...they put on a 'happy face' didn't they? I am glad they are mending! Your dad is very funny, hard headed and all, and I am sure he will step in to help with your mom's healing.

Positive thoughts are on their way to them. I will see you on Sunday!

MaxandSpike'sMom
05-23-2003, 10:36 AM
I am so glad your parents are doing better. They look pretty good considering what they have been through. I hope her broken arm heals well. It sometimes takes awhile for the swelling to go down. (Just remind her if her swelling goes down and her casts gets loose to call her doctor so she doesn't move her wrist too much)
And your Dad....Well, all I can say is sounds just like my Husband...(typical man!! (ha, ha)
My mom is doing much better. She had to have some more surgery and her ankle swells at times but considering it could have been much worse than it was. I just thank God she is OK! Thanks for asking!
We will still keep your parents in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

lovemyshiba
05-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Anna~
I'm glad to hear (and see) that they are recuperating. I hope your mom's arm heals just fine, and that she stays in good spirits. Your dad sounds like mine--he would have done the same thing:rolleyes:
I will continue to keep them in my thoughts, keep us updated on their progress.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-23-2003, 11:34 AM
I'm glad to hear things are going relatively well. I sure hope the surgery works for your mom. She must have put her hand out to break the fall and her wrist took the major hit. :(

They look good though, seeing as how all this happened just a week ago.

And your dad sounds just like mine, ripping his own stiches out. That's funny that men are that way.

Right after my parents' accident, my dad was in intensive care. They had the breathing tube thing in because he was really out of it for quite awhile. Well, he must have been coming around some, because about 3 or 4 days after the accident he ended up ripping the tube out himself because he couldn't stand it anymore. :rolleyes: He was totally uncooperative and was constantly trying to get out of bed, even ripped the IV out of his arm at one point. :rolleyes: They finally had to tie his hands to the bed so he wouldn't do more damage to himself. :rolleyes: Needless to say he was not a happy camper about that. ;) I don't think he could comprehend what had happened and how bad a shape he was in. 'Course, we can laugh about it now, but at the time it wasn't quite so funny - 'specially to the nurses who were only trying to help him and had to keep redoing things. Thankfully they had the patience of saints. :)

Continued prayers going out for your parents full recovery and hugs to you. :)

slick
05-23-2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the update. Your parents look quite well, considering. But then I guess you too would put on a happy face if you knew your picture was going on the Net. You must be so relieved, in a way, that hopefully the worst is over and now they can concentrate on healing. Continued prayers coming your way always.

PS: My Dad, God rest is sole, was a subborn old cuss and he would have done the exact same thing by taking out the staples. Must be a "man" thing.

carole
05-23-2003, 03:48 PM
What a nice looking couple they make, i am so pleased they are ok, sounds like they went through a rough time though. and you as well, lets hope they are well on their way to mending now.

krazyaboutkatz
05-24-2003, 12:55 AM
Anna, thanks for the update. Your parents look very good considering all they've been through. Prayers are still on the way for a full and speedy recovery for both of them.