PDA

View Full Version : Look who Milo found…

PayItForward
05-15-2003, 02:49 PM
I was watching Milo in the garden playing with an orangie, whom I thought was Max from next door but as they got closer I saw it was a stranger.

I was stood outside the backdoor, both Milly & Milo sniffed at new cat with no aggression on either side.

I ‘think’ he/she (I’m going to guess he) is a stray as he was: -

: Not wearing a collar (but mine don’t, they are chipped instead)
: His tongue was stuck out as he was very thirsty (Might be wrong)
: Fur a bit dirty not well groomed
: Bit of blood on one ear and his tail
: Struggled a bit to eat the biscuits (Eating too fast, Bad teeth or Maybe an older cat, seems more flexible than George so less than 8 years ?)
: Very vocal and friendly rubbing himself against me and arching his back for strokes.

If he looked in a better condition I would assume, he is a new local cat. But I just get the impression he isn’t used to being outside or has no access to the inside.

Here are a couple of pictures I took in case, we never see him again.

http://www.jennykenwright.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/Orange1.jpg
http://www.jennykenwright.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/Orange2.jpg

I gave him a very quick look over. Apart from being scratched and dirty he seemed ok but I am no vet.
I gave him a bowl of water and some dried cat biscuits, outside. Milo tried to share these biscuits (he tries to eat of everyone’s plate) and this cat did slap him but it seemed more too keep the food, than to hurt Milo (Milo didn’t care). So I took our cats Milly & Milo inside for tea leaving him eating in peace.

The question is what do I do now, if he comes back ?

He has not picked a good weekend to turn up, as we are away this weekend. If he comes back after the weekend, I might try and get him in a cat box and ask the local vet to scan him, to see if he has a chip/existing home.

This is so funny as I was admiring OJ on the COTD and an Orangie turned up on my doorstep. !!!

PayItForward
05-15-2003, 04:36 PM
*Bump*

moosmom
05-15-2003, 04:40 PM
What a beautiful boy!! I'd definitely try to take him to a vet to see if he is microchipped. Is there anyway you can post pictures of him in the neighborhood to see if he belongs to someone? From the sounds of it, he's probably a stray. Anyway you can take the poor little guy in?

Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted. :D

catlady1945
05-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Keep him.

PayItForward
05-15-2003, 04:54 PM
First off. It depends if we see him again.

Second. We didn't adopt Sooty (Saw at shelter, the same time as we adopted Milo) as we said three was our limit. But Sooty was safe in a shelter.

Third. Don't know. Even if he did return AND didn't belong to anyone. He would have to be tested before we even thought about looking after him on a temp/perm basis.

Ps. But I would like to see him again.

PPs. If he is on his own, we'll make sure he gets a home with us or though a shelter.

ChrisH
05-15-2003, 05:04 PM
He is lovely isn`t he? I know I would be tempted to keep him, especially as he is so friendly, and, in my case, if he got on with Bob it would be the clincher, a cat upstairs and a cat downstairs!:D (only joking)
Seriously, I would do what you are already thinking about, take him to the vet to check for a microchip, plus I would call up Cats Protection and other centres in case someone has been looking for him, put some notices/posters in the local shop(s) and the vets and maybe on some lamposts etc. If you have a local radio station maybe they would give out a found over the air...can`t think of anything else except to maybe ask around if someone has moved house lately, the cat could have made its way back to what he thinks of as home. Good luck, hope everything turns out ok and he finds his home again.

Chris

bluekat
05-15-2003, 05:36 PM
I would be tempted to keep him too, he is beautiful. He's also friendly, which makes it even more tempting, and at least he's friendly with the other cats too. Have you tried picking him up?
Take him to the vet if you can.
Good luck!

PayItForward
05-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Yes, I did pick him up (he just leant against me..Awww), so PaysForIt (Steve) could check his eyes/ears.

Milly & Milo seemed fine with him, but my Georgie hasn't meet him yet. And meeting a cat outside is totally different than keeping the same cat inside.

Prayers for Orangie, May you either reach your home or come back to us.

jenluckenbach
05-15-2003, 05:42 PM
He is a handsome boy ( 99 % certain that is a he ). And he looks like he'd make someone ;) a lovely pet. See if he returns and keep us updated.

PayItForward
05-15-2003, 05:49 PM
99 % certain that is a he

I'll take your expert word on this. :D

batgirl1980
05-15-2003, 06:35 PM
awww what a cutie pie!
Definetely agree with everyone here..
if he shows up again, and I'm hoping he will...
take him to the vet, see if he's microchiped, have the vet
look him over, so that if you can't find whomever owned him, you know if he's ok to be around your kids... and then.. KEEP HIM ;)

PayItForward
05-16-2003, 04:24 AM
I reported Orangie to the local RSPCA. I.e. Asked if anyone had lost a cat in this area. (No One has reported a missing orangie for months, so either he does have a local home or he is a stray.)

The RSPCA lady said it is very difficult to tell the difference between a real stray and a older/ill cat with a home

They took my details and agreed that I should get him scanned at the local vets, if he returns.

Or I might put a collar on him, with a note asking if he has owners could they ring me, so I know he is owned.

What do you think ?

sasvermont
05-16-2003, 06:40 AM
I have always thought that notes would make sense. So many cats do not have collars and do have homes, so it would make sense to have some exchange of notes and how else would you know who to contact except to tie a note on his/her collar!

He is one good looking kitty. Thank goodness we don't have many stray cats in our area.

;)

IttyBittyKitty
05-16-2003, 08:34 AM
In fact, it's something that we all could try to do if a stray rocked up. A few weeks ago, a kitty with no collar strayed into our garden (which has grass about a foot tall) to have a play. She looked well-fed and well-groomed, and didn't eat all the bikkies I gave her. I haven't seen her again :( she was very cute :)

05-16-2003, 08:44 AM
What a gorgeous orangie! i hope he comes back, so you can find out if he has a home:) . Good luck to you:)

ramanth
05-16-2003, 08:49 AM
Good luck to Orangie! May he find his way home or back to you. :)

Edwina's Secretary
05-16-2003, 08:55 AM
I love his "tough guy" look. If he is a stray he probably had to cultivate that look for protection!

I've had a cat in my back yard (at the bird feeder????) There a couple days in a row and haven't seen him in weeks...

PayItForward
05-16-2003, 09:54 AM
I haven't seen him today but it has been raining hard.

I really hope he is inside his home :), not sheltering under a hedge :(

Cataholic
05-16-2003, 10:46 AM
I love orangies....and, I think if he comes back, you should acclimate him....vet check him, then open your home to him....he he he...while three is a PURRfect number, so is four, five, six, thirteen, twenty!!!

Tina
05-16-2003, 02:47 PM
AWW He is such a gorgeous orangie!! I sure hope he finds his way home or he comes back to you!

BTW I've been seeing a orange cat where I live also. But I'm not sure if he is a stray or not. I'd like to try and catch him.

PayItForward
05-18-2003, 08:34 AM
Well, he hasn't returned today (As we are now back from our weekend away)

So I must assume Orangie has got a nice home somewhere.

Ps. Though I would be happier, if I knew this for certain. But what will be, will be.

krazyaboutkatz
05-18-2003, 06:18 PM
He's gorgeous. I love orangies. :D Hopefully he found his way home or he'll find his way back to your home so you can find out if he has a home or not. Good luck and please keep us updated. :)