PDA

View Full Version : kitty death breath

ScantyNebula
05-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Does your cats breath smell so bad that it almost kills you over when he breathes near your face?? Anybody know a solution to help freshen horrible kitty breath? Toby's breath can get very stinky ... (Toby thinks * Yea Mommy but you can't say much in the morning either!*)

:D

JGuitaristR
05-14-2003, 08:43 PM
LMAO, yes. :D :)

BastetsMum
05-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Bastet's breath gets stinky too. It depends on what she has eaten. I have found that if she eats anything with fish in it - its shocking - but raw meat and dry food and the occasional tinned stuff her breath seems to be ok.

I find that the whiskas chews, in fact any teeth cleaning stuff, are great for freshening stinky cat breath.

Although I do recommend that you see a vet to make sure its not caused by teeth or sinus infection problems. They can all have the symptom of stinky breath and it doesn't need to be contstantly stinky either.

Unlike stinky butts ..... :D

Desert Arabian
05-14-2003, 09:53 PM
Yes, Dudley's breath REAKS! It makes you gag. He gets his teeth brushed about once evey two months. I saw a poster in the vets room about peridontal (sp!?) disease in cats and dogs. It said that the bacteria on the teeth can cause kidney, liver, and other organ problems. They recommended brushing your cats and dogs teeth about once a month.

Dudley's booty...now that's another smelly story. :rolleyes: :o

krazyaboutkatz
05-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Since my cats don't eat fish products or canned food any more, their breath rarely stinks. :D Now their bottoms, P.U. :)

PayItForward
05-15-2003, 03:31 AM
Our cats are currently on wet food, that really makes their breath really stinky.

Kirsten
05-15-2003, 05:46 AM
Yes, I think a lot depends on the food. Luna loves to eat Hill's Oral Care and I think that is one of the reasons why her breath is rarely stinky.

But it has been bad with her as a kitten while she was teething and her gums were inflamed. At that time, it's been really bad, but luckily it stopped when she got her new teeth.

Oral problems like inflamed gums, bad teeth or plaque could always be a reason for bad breath, so it's definitely better to check their mouth. But a lot depends on the food was well.

Kirsten

HayleyRosie
05-15-2003, 06:24 AM
I really have not noticed if Hayley and Mandy's breath is bad. I think if it was bad I would have noticed, right? I agree that it maybe the food. Hayley and Mandy only eat Techni-Cal dry kitten food. For treats they get Techni-Cal treats for their teeth and they also get Whiskas Temptations. Do Toby eat canned food? Maybe that could be it!

Randi
05-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Have you had Toby's teeth checked? I reckon that could very well be the reason.

Before Fister had his teeth cleaned, his breath was stinking too, but it didn't afterwards. :) Having bad teeth can make a cat suffer more than we realize and can lead to other things. :eek:

Good luck! :)

ScantyNebula
05-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Hmm..I've been checking his teeth and they look very healthy...the thing is I don't really know how bad is bad .. like maybe his breath is supposed to smell like this :confused: He eats dry food and I brush his teeth once in a while .. so I can't see it being bad teeth. Maybe I just can't tolerate kitty breath!

Also, do you guys at what age he is supposed to lose his teeth? We've picked up one that fell out ..

And just to ask .. how much does it cost usually to clean a cats teeth!?

Kirsten
05-15-2003, 08:01 AM
Maybe I just can't tolerate kitty breath!

Yes, I think all cats more or less have this typical "cat breath", and maybe some people are more sensitive than others when it comes to that. I have the same problems with the smell of dogs, btw. Even though I love them, their smell often bites my nose. LOL

Maybe you can ask your vet the next time to check Toby's breath, he could tell you if it's worse than in other cats.

at what age he is supposed to lose his teeth?

That could happen at an relatively young age, my Katz was only 7 when she lost her first tooth, and in the end, when she was 14, she had only one left. How old is Toby now?

Kirsten

Logan
05-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Butter's breath is horrible. :eek: It was so bad that last year, I had his teeth cleaned, and Dr. R said they had a lot of tartar. I'm thinking it might be time for another tooth cleaning, and soon!!! :)

K & L
05-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Bad breath can be an indication of periodontal disease. A vet check of the teeth would be a good thing to do.

ScantyNebula
05-15-2003, 09:46 AM
thanks :) I will start giving him some teeth cleaning treats ..and see how that goes. Toby is about 8 months now..

smokey the elder
05-15-2003, 05:13 PM
They can be little stinkers, can't they? Geez, first a f@rt thread, and now this.:p

Anyway, while was at college my parents had a cat named Patches who was the benchmark for "death breath". In fact "Patches breath" is used to describe any cat who's eaten something vile.

bluekat
05-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Yeah, Blueberry's breath is the same!:p
BTW, do you guys brush their teeth? I don't, are we supposed to? Like once in awhile?

Kirsten
05-15-2003, 05:25 PM
BTW, do you guys brush their teeth?

I tried to get Luna used to it when she was younger, but it didn't work, she just wouldn't let me do that. But she's eating Hill's Oral Care which reduces tartar, she loves that food and it seems to work very good. Luna doesn't have bad breath and her teeth are looking healthy.

Kirsten

ScantyNebula
05-16-2003, 10:07 AM
Same here ... I tried using the finger brush on toby but he was soon to realize how much he hated it. So now I just rub some kitty toothpaste over his teeth with my finger, and he loves the taste of the toothpaste :)