PDA

View Full Version : Lolita

allanimalswelcome
05-14-2003, 07:45 PM
I didn't know whether to put this in general or the dog house so to keep it safe I put it here.

Does anyone else no anything about Lolita the killer whale (if you want to call them orcas go ahead)? I have. Her story is so sad. She and Corky (who resides at Sea World...Califronia I think) are the oldest whales in captivity. She has lived in a tiny tank with only pacific white sided dolphins for too long. She responded strongly when a news reporter played her families calls. They are still out there in the wild. Lolita also shows a great memory. She would be able to go home and survive.

So what's everyone else's opinoins on this? Go here for more info http://www.orcanetwork.org/captivity/captivity.html Scroll down a bit.

~Rachel

PayItForward
05-15-2003, 12:19 PM
That is so sad. :(

Poor Lolita, 30 years away from her family.

I hope that the protest is sucessful.

yorkster
05-15-2003, 04:24 PM
I visisted Sea World about 10 years ago and loved it! However, I think that I have changed my mind about whales in captivity since then because of stories like this :(
I used to think that having places like S. World and educating people about whales was a good thing and worth having some whales in captivity (they really seem happy),
but now I'm not so sure......................

Thanks for posting this story, even though it makes me sad.