PDA

View Full Version : oh yeah right

marysmerrycats
05-14-2003, 07:25 PM
I read where they found thousands of bodies buried in Iraq...saddam is not like hitler at all, yeah right. and those of you thought we shouldn't go over there after him?!! God only knows what else hes been doing for YEARS, along with the weapons, and what he's done to his own people?

Soledad
05-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Yeah, except the reason we went in was because of WMD. Not for humanitarian reasons. That stuff goes in (a lot worse I may add) in plenty of other countries. Why Iraq??

marysmerrycats
05-14-2003, 07:36 PM
it certainly WAS fior humanitarian reasons, and if you don't like our president or this country WHY are you moving here??

Soledad
05-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Mary, calm down.

If you read things carefully you will see that the ONLY reason we went in was because of WMD. We did not go in there for the sole purpose of liberation. That was just a nice bonus.

I'm coming back because it's my home and I'm allowed to live there even if I don't agree with you and even if I dislike the President.

Sheesh.:rolleyes:

marysmerrycats
05-15-2003, 12:04 AM
soledad, don't tell me to calm down, you are the one thats always against everything.
wmd may have been one reason, and I supose you don't think that was a good enough reason? you would rather have kept giving the maniac the freedom to go on building them and possibly, probably some day destroy us?

now who needs to think reasonable??
its clear that it was the right thing to do, it's staring you in the face but still, you think it was not necessary!

IttyBittyKitty
05-15-2003, 10:25 PM
It isn't as clear-cut as everyone (pro and against war) would like to think...

Sure, WMD was one of the motivations (as was liberation) but perhaps there were others that are not so obvious that may answer the question, "Why Iraq?" These could include oil, Bush Senior's personal vendetta and others that no one outside Congress have considered.

If there were no other reasons, then why Iraq indeed? Why not Jordan, India, Pakistan or Saudi Arabia to name but a few? Heck, why not address the Korean threat first? I think they pose the most serious danger to U.S. and Australian interests.

I don't think we'll ever know!

wolfsoul
05-15-2003, 10:34 PM
That's so sad :(

But I do think that Hitler was waaay worse than Saddam...Not like that's an excuse >_<

Soledad
05-15-2003, 10:36 PM
There are quotes from Bush and White House officials that the reasons we were invading Iraq were because of WMD and to execute a "pre-emptive strike." The liberation angle was NOT the reason we invaded.

Am I pleased that Saddam is no longer able to hurt his people? Of course!

But there are human rights abuses far worse than the ones committed in Iraq, unfortunately. And to think we went in only to liberate is naive at best.

marysmerrycats
05-16-2003, 01:24 AM
But I do think that Hitler was waaay worse than Saddam...Not like that's an excuse >_<

only becaue hitler got away with more, saddam would have been NO different. and he did plenty!

I edited my post just now, I meant no different not more different.. typo.

marysmerrycats
05-16-2003, 01:25 AM
soledad we have been over this, the wmd may have been the reason, but does that mean that they shouldnt have been there? go ahead and let the maniac build the weapons? and there is worse things going on in other countries so let saddam keep hurting his people??
soledad I am not naive, I didnt say that they went in for only liberation, but dont you think they knew there would be some ? do you think that saddam the maniac would have been good to his people? please! I think it is stupid what you have said, and thats that. and stop the pm's!

Soledad
05-16-2003, 01:53 AM
Mary -

I'm happy to discuss this stuff, but I don't think it needs to get personal. I thought that we had sorted through that stuff after things got ugly the last time. I hope that can still be the case.

Now, because I disagree with the war...I'm a basher of America and all it stands for? How exactly does that work? Should I just shut my trap and believe everything I hear? Is that what it takes to be a patriot these days? Is this the new political correctness?

I think you are failing to take into account international law. Since the search for WMD have stopped and nothing has been found, I think the case for this war is still questionable. There is no evidence, at this point, that shows that Saddam was a threat to us (in terms of WMD).

I've asked you this before, and I'll ask you again, why do you think Iraq was at the top of the list and not a place like North Korea (where human rights abuses are rife and it is a FACT that they are able to blast us with nuclear weapons)??

marysmerrycats
05-16-2003, 04:41 AM
Im am really tired of this, I have two hissing cats that are ready to kill each other AND me. I will come back to this thread tomorrow...

Soledad
05-16-2003, 05:18 AM
*I'm* tired of this too! I don't actually like arguing, I like debating, but I do not like it when things get more personal than they need to be.

Good luck with your kitties.