PDA

View Full Version : Need your help......

bluekat
05-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Hi everyone, I was hoping I could get some help from you guys. I have a project at school, and its about capital punishment, the death penalty. Its a debate, and I'm supposed to be against it. I think I'm for it, but I have no choice but to be against it. anyways, could you tell me if you are for it or against it? and if you're against it, why?
I just can't think of enough reasons to why I'm against it......

Fuzzy317
05-14-2003, 05:58 PM
I am for capital punishment, but I can give you a couple of reasons against.

I am concerned by the fact some convictions are overturned years later.

Religious people feel that humans have no right to take a human life, even of those guilty.

RockyRoad
05-14-2003, 06:00 PM
If it is REALLY necessary, like they did Saddam/Hitler-like things, then yes. If it is something little, then no. It all depends on what the actual crime the accused person(s) commited was. I voted I was for it, in such cases that someone was killing people for reasons such as their race or religion (such as what Hitler did), or other various things. :)

P.S. Maybe this should be posted in the Dog House...

ScantyNebula
05-14-2003, 08:51 PM
I am against it ....

Even if the crime is proved beyond reasonable doubt the justice system is still not and will never flawless and a honest innocent life may be taken in the process. I believe its wrong.

popcornbird
05-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy317

Religious people feel that humans have no right to take a human life, even of those guilty.

That may not be true. If that is a religious belief, then how just can the religion be? For someone who takes a life, his/her penalty should be a death sentence. In otherwords, an eye for an eye; nose for a nose, life for a life. :) For other minor things, NO, but for a big crime like murder, etc. then its needed and what a criminal deserves.

Fuzzy317
05-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
That may not be true. If that is a religious belief, then how just can the religion be? For someone who takes a life, his/her penalty should be a death sentence. In otherwords, an eye for an eye; nose for a nose, life for a life. :) For other minor things, NO, but for a big crime like murder, etc. then its needed and what a criminal deserves.

I have heard the religious part put two ways.
1. an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth
2. let the higher being be the judge, not other humans