PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Saver

Tonya
05-14-2003, 02:11 PM
Hiya. Just thought I'd give a little tip. My lawn looked horrible with spots from all the dogs' urine. Well, I read somewhere that just two tablespoons a day of tomato juice will neutralize the acid in their urine. I just put a little on top of their food everyday, and now after a month of doing it, my lawn is beautiful. :D (Except Roxy's trenches she digs of course.) I've tried the lawnsaver pills before, but this worked much better.

lv4dogs
05-14-2003, 03:38 PM
Thats great to hear. I will have to double check on that w/ my vet, I was always scared to use the pills & other oral supplements that help w/ lawn damage as I always scared it would change the ph & acidic levels in the urine enough to cause urinary problems of all sorts. I just water the lawn down well after they urinate but that is very time consuming.

binka_nugget
05-14-2003, 06:13 PM
thanks for telling us! I'll try it out. I tried the water thing...but I hated doing it cuz he pees about 10 times before we go in lol

primabella
05-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the tip! We have this problem and it's driving my dad nuts. He hates it that half the lawn is a normal green color and there are spots of yellow everywhere. I'll mention it to my dad though. Thanks again :D

Kfamr
05-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by primabella
Thanks for the tip! We have this problem and it's driving my dad nuts. He hates it that half the lawn is a normal green color and there are spots of yellow everywhere. I'll mention it to my dad though. Thanks again :D

*looks at your grass*.. Mickey must pee ALOT! lmao.. j/k

Our yard isn't really bad, it doesn't get yellow spots..... myabe that's cause Nala pees in the rocks and Sim pees on the fence.... We have alot of dirt from diging and running aorund though

anna_66
05-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
Well, I read somewhere that just two tablespoons a day of tomato juice will neutralize the acid in their urine.

(Except Roxy's trenches she digs of course.)

Good suggestion, but as of now I haven't had that problem.

But trenches, our Roxey (and Huney too) dig those and more:eek: Soon I think we'll be going to China:p

Tonya
05-22-2003, 11:06 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that I called the vet today. He said tomato is ok to give to the dogs.

wolfsoul
05-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Does neutralizing the acid get rid of it? Or make it any different in any other ways?
Because I read up on the acid in urine a little while ago, and the acid is actually very good for the urinary tract. Apparently it prevents UTR and blatter infections...

binka_nugget
05-23-2003, 02:09 AM
ah...ok I won't fiddle with his acid level...I started watering the lawn every few days...it's really yellow and burnt..but not from kai, it just dried naturally. So far, no yellow spots from kai.

lv4dogs
05-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Yes wolfsoul you are right.
I will never give my dogs the supplements they make for this problem because of the ballder/urinary/kidney problems that can occur. I did check w/ my vet & they say tomato juice is not AS bad as the supplements but it DOES still change the acidic levels in the urine, therefore I will NOT give that to my dogs either!
I'll just stick to looking at some yellow spots & keep watering the grass.