PDA

View Full Version : Here's Penny Lane

clara4457
05-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Penny's first day home. She is a little timid- smells skunky (literally - even after a bath) and need to be housebroken (you know what staying in kennels does) :( but she is doing great so far. Her and Leo are getting to know each other - Leo seems to be a little scared of her :eek: which is kind of weird a 80lb dog scared of a 20lb dog :D but here are some pics

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pa1d48697dfaa31572ecdf7752d560669/fc2794fc.jpg

hiding under the table

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p6d682db5120674ea3ef45bd63200af85/fc2794fa.jpg
What a sweet face

clara4457
05-13-2003, 04:52 PM
BTW - anyone know a safe way to get skunk smell out of the dog??? :confused: :confused:

lovemyshiba
05-13-2003, 04:58 PM
I can see why you fell in love with that sweet girl--and I love the name--welcome to Pet Talk Penny Lane!!!!
I've been checking all day to see her pic!!!!!

As for the skunk smell, I know there's a product made by *I think* the same company as the Nature's Miracle, but I'm not 100% sure--I've always heard to take a bath in tomato juice if you are sprayed by a skunk (that's for humans though). Hopefully someone here will know better than me:rolleyes:

Penny Lane is beautiful!!! Congrats on the new dog!!!!!:D

lovemyshiba
05-13-2003, 05:00 PM
oooh--just found this on Petco.com
http://www.petco.com/Productlisting.asp?tab=1&c1=283&ct1=Indoor+%26+Outdoor+Cleanup&c2=288&ct2=Skunk+Odor+Removers&Dept_ID=288

and Petsmart
http://www.petsmart.com/dog/shopping/clean%5Fup/stain%5F%5F%5Fodor%5Fcontrol/products/product%5F15692.shtml

I'm not sure what stores you have there--my aunt lives outside Buffalo, but I haven't been there in a long time!!!

captain
05-13-2003, 06:45 PM
What a gorgeous face!!!

Thanks for getting the pics up ........... and hope to hear more stories (and HOW you got rid of the skunk smell) reall soon!

LOVE her name

Cincy'sMom
05-13-2003, 08:14 PM
What a sweet face!! Congrats again onthe new addition!

4 Dog Mother
05-14-2003, 08:03 AM
I'm afraid I can't help you with the skunk smell either. I thought I had heard of adding baking soda to the water but I don't know if that would be strong enough to help. I too have heard tomato juice and that was for dogs too. My dogs would probably try to drink it.:)

I think Shai's Mom once told someone how to get smells out - Keegan had gotten into something. I will see if I can find it or have her post.

Penny Lane is cute. Thanks for sharing her pictures and saving her.

lizbud
05-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk Penny Lane.:) :)

She is a beautiful girl, but does seem to be nervous in her
pic. ( the look in her sweet eyes,ears flat) But that's certainly
understandable. Maybe Leo picks up on her incertainty & wants
to steer clear & let her settle in awhile. Dogs are so smart &
communicate with each other in subtle ways. Don't have any
hints about the skunk smell, but what the others have offered
seem like good ideas to me. Please give her gentle hugs from
me & Smokey Joe. {{hugs}}:)

wolf_Q
05-14-2003, 12:12 PM
She sure is a sweet pup! I love the name too! Congrats on adopting her! I hope her and Leo will become the best of friends. :D

As far as getting rid of the skunk smell, I'm not quite sure. I know there's several skunk shampoos on the marking. We have several at work, but I, personally, have never had to "de-skunk" a dog. ;) I know there's one skunk shampoo we have that actually smells pretty good...the other 2 are nasty...it's from Petco, in a purple bottle with a cartoon skunk on it. lol. I've heard too that vinegar works, but I'm not positive on that.

JGuitaristR
05-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Aw, look at that cute face!

sadie
05-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Such a sweet looking dog. You now have a lovely pair.

Rachel
05-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Penny Lane is just adorable. Congratulations on the new member of your family. When I was a kid, I had a dog of that same coloring and size, although she had longer hair. Her name was Penny too!

harleychicken
05-15-2003, 02:28 PM
Penny Lane! Just had to say what a beautiful little face you have! Glad you've been saved!

ChrisH
05-15-2003, 03:06 PM
She is so adorable! Lovely name too!:) Congratulations to you both!:)

As Liz wrote, you can see she is somewhat nervous and it is understandable that she would be, I am sure she will feel comfortable very soon. I look forward to seeing many more pictures of your lovely girl.:)

Please give her a hug from me.
Chris

Sudilar
05-15-2003, 06:40 PM
What gorgeous dogs you have there!!

clara4457
05-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Yes - Penny Lane is settling in. Just a few problems - she is not spayed so she is marking :eek: Our appointment is Tuesday so hopefully that will take care of most of it. We used some of that neutralizer from Miracle Pets for the skunk smell- it did get it down to a managable level although when you pet her she still smells. I guess it is just going to take some time

Her and Leo are jocking for position. Nothing more than a few snips and growls, but I have to feed them separately (Oh the joys of adopting strays) they both growl if they feel their food is threatened. She is crazy about Leo - but Leo is not too sure of her. I had Leo in daycare today and kept Penny with me and she moped all day. The minute Leo came home she was all happy, happy, joy, joy Leo on the other hand just wanted to visit with me and crash.

She is just adorable though - once we build her confidence she will be a great. It just breaks my heart to see her cower everytime someone approaches her. It has been a bit of an adjustment for me as Leo always needed real firm handling, she needs a very gentle touch. I give her a firm NO when she tries to pee in the house and she just cowers and runs away.

She is also so scared of being left that everytime I take her out for a walk - all she wants to do is run back into the house. As long as I take them out together - she is fine. I guess she figures that as long as Leo is with us I won't leave her. :( :( Poor baby.

I also think she has kennel cough (Thank God Leo is vaccinated against it!!!) so we will get her treated for that.

Sorry this is so long - I just needed to unload. Thank goodness for PET TALK. These problems we are having are so preventable - it just breaks my heart to see issues like this with such a lovely dog. She is such a love bug and all she really wants is a little love and attention. I'm feeling a little guilty about Leo though - he has been the center of my attention for 2 years now - now he has to share and he is not real happy about it. I'm just trying to make sure he knows he is still my sweetie :D

We are moving into the new house tomorrow - so hopefully I can get some pictures of the two of them romping in the yard - although I will probably be offline for a couple of days while I get my network up and running.

4 Dog Mother
05-16-2003, 07:45 AM
Adding a new dog into a family always brings some adjustment. Each time we have added one, we have felt sorry for the others because we can't give the same amount of attention that we did before. And the old ones always act like you have done something terrible to them (isn't it amazing how kids and dogs are alike with this guilt thing?) but soon you find that the "old" dog has a new friend to play with and all the problems work themselves out.

We have had the most problems with Jack because he was an older dog (4 years old) coming into a home with 4 other dogs. Although Jack had been around puppies (the people who were keeping him had aussie puppies) he evidently had never been around older dogs. And he wasn't too happy about sharing us or rawhide or food or space with them. He used to growl when they came near to anything he considered his, but now he is getting used to it since we quickly let him know that is not acceptable. So when Taggert and Snoopy start playing too close to where he is napping, he gets up and moves to a new spot away from all the action.

It is always kind of funny because you think you are doing the "old" dog an injustice but soon you realize that you are giving them a pal, a buddy, someone to be with when you are not there, and someone who can give them some of the attention that you do not always have time to give them. Sometimes I actually feel sorry for a dog that does not have a "sibling". As with children, there are benefits to being an old child and benefits to having siblings.

I will be surprised that within a few weeks you don't find that Leo and Penny Lane have become great friends and Leo is the one who is happy to see and be with Penny Lane!:)

As far as Penny Lane's fears go, you will probably always have to discipline her differently from Leo. Snoopy is definitely a fearful dog too and unfortunately is a high energy dog too and won't quit the jumping up. Not too long ago, Carl yelled at him and it must have been feriocus because all he did was cower and do the submissive pee thing when you looked at him. It was horrible and even Carl felt awful after he saw what his action did. It took Snoopy overnight to get over it and even now he quickly cowers if he thinks his dad is mad at him. (You can yell at Taggert til you face turns blue and he could care less).

harleychicken
05-16-2003, 07:53 AM
Hang in there Penny Lane and family! Things will work out just fine! I've had my older husky for 6 years and she still crouches if I get up too fast around her. Some scars will never go away but they will fade a bit. She also was not crazy when I brought another one home but now they can't stand to be apart....even though they don't really play together....it is just that they know they are both there (Nattie is 13 now and doesn't have the energy, plus she has arthritis).