PDA

View Full Version : Hedgehogs

Uabassoon
05-13-2003, 03:30 PM
My roommate and I are thinking of going to New Mexico and buying a hedgehog, but I have a few questions first. Don't worry I will do a lot more research before I actually decide to get one. I know that they are illegal in Arizona, but I've talked to my boss at the pet sitting agency and she says there are a few vets in town that will take in hedgehogs and are knowledgable, one of the vets even owns one. So I know I'll be ok should it get sick. But I want to know things like what are the cage requirements, how much time do I need to spend with it, what do they eat? Any information from those of you with hedgehogs would be greatly apprecitated. Also are their hedgehog breeders? I would feel much better getting one from a breeder instead of a petstore.

luckies4me
05-13-2003, 09:35 PM
I have owned hedgies since I was 18. :) I have one right now, a little boy named Speedy.

As far as caging is concerend, I prefer large tanks (40 gallons) or multi level solid cages, as in the levels are solid. SuperPet makes great cages that could accomodate a hedgie. There has been too many hedgies who get their feet and legs caught between wire. Martinscages.com does make a very safe hedgie cage. :)

I prefer using either Carefresh Ultra or aspen shavings for my hog. He LOVES to have towels to cuddle underneat, or a nice cozy igloo or petbed. As far as time is concerned, they are awake all night and sleep during the day, but if taken out during the day they should adjust to the handling while the sun is out. Iplay with mine every chance I get, at least 30 minutes a night or more, and let him excerise in the tub at night. He has a wheel, solid of course, as well as several cats toys he can play with.

I feed my hedgie a moist insectivore diet that my local petshop makes, Briskies hedgehog diet, Authority kitten food, mealworms, waxworms, crickets, monkey chow, cooked pasta and grains, cooked chicken and pork, green leafe lettuce, cooked carrots and tomatoes, squash, peaches, banana and other fruits. They also love hard boiled eggs, and canned cat food as a treat.

Yes there are hedgehog breeders in the US, just do a search for it. They do need regular grooming, such as baths and nail trims. I trim Speedys nails every two weeks, and he gets bathed once a month with a baby shampoo. You can just put the soapy water on him and then rinse clean, but my hedgie likes to get his belly washed. :D I do a weekly grooming of his quills where I sit him down and pick out pieces of bedding and food that can get stuck between his quills. Anything else you want to know?

Also they are very prone to fatty liver disease, and need to have a dental every few years.

Uabassoon
05-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the info! I've been searching up on them and really think that I want to make the drive to New Mexico and get one. I'll be pet sitting a hedgie next week, and I think that will determine if I get one of not. I've met him once for our client consultation and fell in love with him. I think taking care of him for a week will help me decide if it is a good pet for me or not. I also know that he's a little shy so I'm hoping that during my week with him he'll let me play with him. When I met him I saw the owner interact with him and he was so cute and sweet.