PDA

View Full Version : dog eating cat food

jep145
11-07-2000, 05:20 PM
Is there any ill effects if my dog eats cat food?

tatsxxx11
11-07-2000, 05:49 PM
I don't think so...Of course it's better if she/he eats only her own food, but I don't think there is anything in the catfood itself that would be injurous. Not just the best thing for them. I have read in several books that cats are the only true carnivores left, (they NEED meat/products to survive) so there food is very high in protein compared to dogs. My Cody LOVES my cats' food and will steal their bowl and run away with it any chance she gets. She actually watches when I leave the room then starts circling the counter if I forgot to remove their dish! Catfood breath bigtime! Maybe some others have some greater insight into this!

jep145
11-07-2000, 06:23 PM
My dog sneaks in and eats the cat's food any chance she gets. She's a very old Brittney. My wife thought she read once that dogs shouldn't eat cat food. I don't know. Thanks for any and all input

tatsxxx11
11-07-2000, 06:55 PM
I guess the sensible reply then would be...Don't let her!!! I try so hard to keep the cats' food away from my dogs, but one kitty will ONLY eat off this one counter where the dogs always are. And she doesn't eat it all at once, so I have to leave it down. If you have any doubts, try and keep it away, and I will too. No reason to take a chance. Good Luck, and Welcome!! to the forum.

karen israel
11-08-2000, 06:21 AM
I don't have cats, but my Cody can hear a can of tuna being opened from anywhere in the house. He loves it and would eat a whole can. Yet, he didn't for for shrimp or any other kind of fish. If someone leaves a cat food can in their recycle bin on trash day he'll try to stick his head all the way to get to it! Hmmmm

AdoreMyDogs
11-08-2000, 09:35 AM
I have had vets tell me that cat food is really bad for dogs...the protien is WAY too much for them to digest. My aussie stays away from the catfood (he knows I don't like him to eat it) but my pug would eat herself to death with catfood. we have to really watch her.

lhg0962
11-08-2000, 10:19 AM
My cat used to eat her dry food out of a feeder on the floor in my bathroom. I found out that my dogs love "Kitten Chow" by having that big feeder emptied a couple of times. Now Mimi eats either in the laundry room on top of the dryer or on a far corner of the kitchen counter. They do all share a water bowl. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
I wouldn't think that a little cat food would hurt the dogs, but it gets a little expensive when they are eating a three pound bag full in one session! I do know that cats get terribly sick (throwing up) if they eat canned dog food.
Hope this helps.
Logan

ktreva52
11-12-2000, 09:42 PM
It's true -- there's too much fat and protein in cat food for dogs. It would be best if you can put the cat food high enough that the dog can't get it. The occasional snarf won't hurt the dog, but a regular diet would make the dog fat and could affect the kidneys over the long-term. You could also teach the dog the command, "leave it" and maybe get him/her to leave the food alone, but up out of the way would be the safest choice, 'cause it smells sooooo good to them. I do, however, use cat treats for doggie training treats (in moderation, of course).