View Full Version : mad as hell.....

RICHARD
05-13-2003, 11:46 AM
05/13/2003
LA daily news

Reward mounts in cat persecution

By Rachel Uranga
Staff Writer

VENTURA -- Hoping to find the person who dumped a blue-eyed Himalayan cat at sea, in a kitty carrier weighed down by two five-pound rocks, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals announced a $1,000 reward Monday to find the culprit.

The Virginia-based advocacy group's reward comes on the heels of another $1,000 reward offered by Jillian Barberie of Fox's "Good Day Live," after her station, KTTV (Channel 11), aired a segment on the long-hair cat believed to be about 5 years old, said Tim Dewar, spokesman for the Humane Society of Ventura County. The society is caring for the well-mannered critter at its shelter in Ojai, where staff members call the cat Sandy.

Society members are also chipping in money to bring the reward up to $2,500 for a conviction.

"This is a prosecutable offense," Dewar said. "If someone knows someone who is missing an animal that fits that description, we would love to talk to them."

Last week -- about 10 a.m. Wednesday -- someone walking on the beach spotted the 19-pound cat, shivering and wet, in an undersized cage below the surf line on the San Buenaventura State Beach, Dewar said.

"The veterinarian said it suffered a lot of neurological damage because of a blow to the head," he said. "It could have been a kick to the head, or someone could have hit it with a stick." Dewar said there also could have been a blow to the cat's head if the sea slammed the carrier into rocks.

As a result, the cat with a deep brown face, white collar and tan mane, cannot move her right eye and has trouble with balance, but her condition improved over the weekend.

"She's jumping around," Dewar said. "Hopefully, she will continue to improve."

The cat will remain at the shelter until somebody is charged, and then Sandy will be turned over to the court. Dewar said he's unsure where the cat will be placed if nobody is charged.

A photo of the long-whiskered cat is featured atop the shelter's Web site at www.humanesocietyvc.org.

Anyone with information pertaining to the case is being asked to contact the shelter at (805) 656-5031.

just when you think you have seen every form oF inhumanity......

PayItForward
05-13-2003, 12:33 PM
This story must refer, to the same story in the following thread

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26244

I do hope this person(s) are caught & punished.

RICHARD
05-13-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
This story must refer, to the same story in the following thread

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26244

I do hope this person(s) are caught & punished.

leave it to california news papers.....day late, dollar short.....

sorry!

Catsnclay
05-13-2003, 01:50 PM
This is just horrible.

I can't believe that there are people out there that do this to animals. :mad:

Its too bad they don't get jail time that matters, then maybe these crimes would stop. They need to find the people behind this before they move on to humans.

marysmerrycats
05-13-2003, 01:54 PM
I'm still trying to forget the image in my head of people using cats and other dogs for fighting pitbulls!
there is absolutely no reason to do something like that, other than pure evil. was it their pet, or they took the cat? was it a stray? wherever the cat came from, the sicko(s) that did that,
not only just didn't have any humane feeling at all, but they obvisously love the idea of hurting a cat and it being scared out of its wits as it was in the ocean... I don't understand, I never will understand, how somone can do that! this is not just someone that dislikes animals, it's someone who gets a thrill by hurting animals, and it's prbably not the first time.

I hope they find out who did it, and I swear I hope someone beats the crap out of them. I hope they get a beating that they will not soon recover from or forget, then dumped in the water. but not before they have some time to think of whats going to happen to them... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cheshirekatt
06-20-2003, 01:00 AM
Do we have any updates on this story?

NoahsMommy
06-20-2003, 01:17 AM
I'm going to the shelter tomorrow and will get to see Sandy. I will most definitely give you all an update on this beautiful girl.

Cheshirekatt
06-20-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I'm going to the shelter tomorrow and will get to see Sandy. I will most definitely give you all an update on this beautiful girl.

Thanks so mcuh!

IttyBittyKitty
06-20-2003, 04:07 AM
How awful that case was - I really hope that they find the person who did this. I agree, they obviously wanted to hurt the animal as they went to a LOT of effort - it would have been much easier to drop her off at the local shelter.

This sickens me.

smokey the elder
06-21-2003, 08:04 AM
I can't believe this!! On the "right coast" there are people on the wait list for MONTHS for cats like that. People can be such losers.

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-21-2003, 08:08 AM
what goes around, comes around!:(

Lorraine
06-21-2003, 07:21 PM
That is absolutley HORRIBLE!! :mad: :mad:
How can people be so ignorant and heartless? Anyone with a soul could never do anything mean to a living creature.
There was also a jackass down here in Florida who tossed a woman's cat to a alligator to eat!!:mad:
I HATE people that do these things!!! I hope they rot in hell!!!

NoahsMommy
06-21-2003, 11:09 PM
I wasn't able to go to the shelter yesterday as I woke up sick. But...a fellow PTer noticed that the site says she was adopted!!! Not only was she adopted, but she was taken in by the same"celebrity" that put her own money in for the reward for information. :)

I actually didn't like this woman until now... ;)

(Jillian Barberari, Fox News)

Cheshirekatt
06-21-2003, 11:11 PM
That's such good news! :D Thanks so much for the update!

moosmom
06-22-2003, 11:38 AM
YAY!!! At least it has somewhat of a happy ending! I'm so glad Sandy got adopted. I hope whoever did this rots in hell like NOW!!!