PDA

View Full Version : Moving the cats...

JGuitaristR
05-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Right now, four of my cats are living in the garage. It's a big garage. In there, they have 2 queen sized beds, a really old baby's crib and a window that they're not able to see out of because it's, I guess... "frosted." Anyway, I let them out of there every day to let them roam the house for a little while. But there is no AC in there. So............... I've decided to put the little troublemakers:p in my room. The only problem I'm going to have with them is them wanting to scratch their nails on my guitar amp and them possibly knocking one of my guitars over. I really don't have anything to block them from going near them; so I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on how to let them know that it's not okay to rub on them? Thank you!

boscibo
05-12-2003, 11:16 PM
That is pretty much an impossible request - if I were you I'd put your equipment away in a closet or another room for the time being. All the stuff I don't want my cats messing with (my model horse collection mostly) is kept behind glass - the only way to really insure your stuff will be safe.

BastetsMum
05-13-2003, 12:17 AM
If I don't want Bastet to touch something then in a cupboard *that she can't open* it goes. That is the only suggestion I can make. Why are your cats in a garage?

moosmom
05-13-2003, 09:13 AM
Put your stuff where the cats can't get to it, and then buy a cheap scratching post (they have cheap ones made out of corrigated cardboard and catnip) and spray the heck out of it with spray catnip.

Yeah, why ARE your cats in the garage??

JGuitaristR
05-13-2003, 09:57 AM
They're in there because there is waaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff they can get into. For one, they can easily get into my iguana's cage, which would not be a good thing. Don't worry, you guys are making the garage sound like a bad thing!!! I let those guys out EVERYDAY. Plus, when we first moved here, I was sure to make it kitty heaven. During the winter, they had a heater in there that worked quite well, they have a day light, white and a night light, blue, plus a little night light, a normal one. They've got fresh food and water and two litter boxes to share among four cats. Trust me, they're happy........ I just want them to be with me. And thank you for the tips on the guitars and stuff, I think I'll go buy a scratching post today. Thanks!

I'd write more about their garage, but I haven't got the time.

batgirl1980
05-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by JGuitaristR
They're in there because there is waaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff they can get into. For one, they can easily get into my iguana's cage, which would not be a good thing. Don't worry, you guys are making the garage sound like a bad thing!!! I let those guys out EVERYDAY. Plus, when we first moved here, I was sure to make it kitty heaven. During the winter, they had a heater in there that worked quite well, they have a day light, white and a night light, blue, plus a little night light, a normal one. They've got fresh food and water and two litter boxes to share among four cats. Trust me, they're happy........ I just want them to be with me. And thank you for the tips on the guitars and stuff, I think I'll go buy a scratching post today. Thanks!

I'd write more about their garage, but I haven't got the time.

Not trying to be mean, so forgive me if it comes out that way... but.....
They are in the garage because there is too much stuff for them to get into?!!!! That's what CATS DO! Would you keep a baby in a garage just because there's too much stuff for it to get into? Didn't think so. You would , of course, make sure that all dangerous stuff is put where they can't get to it and out of reach.
As for the iguana.. I don't know. I have a bird with my three cats, and they are fairly bored with it. Of course when I let the bird out for excersize the bird comes into the bedroom, and the cats get the rest of the apartment for a couple hours.

I hope I didn't sound too mean, I just think that's not a good reason to have cats in a garage, no matter how much like kitty heaven it is... cats like our company, so it's not entirely kitty heaven, but I do commend you for at least bringing them in and spending time with them, and not having them be outside kitties.
And at least you care enough to make sure they have most of what they need... i just can't agree with the garage thing, sorry, not matter how much it is kitty heaven as you say, I just can't.

JGuitaristR
05-13-2003, 11:13 AM
The top of the iguana's cage is screen, on the screen it has many heat lights, as she needs them to survive. The cats have gone on this screen before and knocked a heat light down that was on. If I wasn't home and they did this - the house would be no longer and they'd all be burnt to a crisp.
I agree that the cats shouldn't be in the garage - that's why I'm moving them into my room.
The cats always scratch on the garage door when they want out and they have quickly learned that when they do that, they'll get what they want. Since the weather is starting to get warmer, I will let them out on the screened in back porch for a while.
That's the whole idea of this move - to make their lives better.

K & L
05-13-2003, 11:31 AM
We have several cats that prefer our garage to the inside. Of course they have access to the outside cat run, and can come inside when they want to. But there are a few that rarely pop their head indoors. We have their beds, toys, litter boxes, fresh food and water, you name it, in the garage. They love it. Summer time we have a portable cooler and winter they have enough heat. We go out and give them attention and it all works out.

batgirl1980
05-13-2003, 03:26 PM
K&L : I didn't mean that in that way.. JguitaristR's reasoning was because there was too much to get into, not that they didn't want to be in there... I just wasn't fond of the reason, but I am very glad that J is doing what it takes to make them happy!

That's all.

J: Didn't know that about iguana's! I didn't know the heat lamps were ontop of a screen... guess I was thinking it'd have a top sorta like an aquarium with the heat bulb!

Any pics of your kitties by chance? oooh.. and names!!!! :) Hope you don't think I was mean earlier.. I really didn't mean to be.

K & L
05-13-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by batgirl1980
K&L : I didn't mean that in that way.. JguitaristR's reasoning was because there was too much to get into, not that they didn't want to be in there... I just wasn't fond of the reason, but I am very glad that J is doing what it takes to make them happy!

That's all.

J: Didn't know that about iguana's! I didn't know the heat lamps were ontop of a screen... guess I was thinking it'd have a top sorta like an aquarium with the heat bulb!

Any pics of your kitties by chance? oooh.. and names!!!! :) Hope you don't think I was mean earlier.. I really didn't mean to be.

That’s OK. I could fully understand your concern if his cats weren’t getting the attention or care that is necessary. But it sounds like J is very concerned what happens with them and that’s why he posted this, for suggestions. Sometimes it’s not always easy to put in words what we really mean. We are all very sensitive to a cat’s well being, and when it sounds like it’s not good, we come to their defense. You did nothing wrong. You had your concern and question, and asked it. Sometimes we all need an opinion to make us think and see other options and ideas. ;)