PDA

View Full Version : shedding is out of control...........

yorkster
09-02-2001, 11:44 PM
help!!! Six weeks ago I adopted a black lab/border collie mix. she hardly shed at all, then about 2 weeks ago she started to shed REAL BAD. I mean BAD! it is driving me crazy because she has to be in the house most of the time because we live near traffic- she only goes out on a leash or to the beach with us. I guess I have two questions: why did she all of a sudden start shedding so bad? is it the shedding time of year? I thought that was in the spring and early summer. the other question is: is there anything that will slow it down? I mean aside from brushing & baths, which I do. I remember hearing about something called Shed-stop (or something like that) that was suposed to help a lot. I believe it was somehting in pill form, and it was suposed to work by helping dogs get into a more 'natural' shedding cycle, which meant that dogs in the wild don't shed as often or as much as domestic dogs. does anyone know anything about it, or ANYTHING else that will help? I will take any advice you have to offer, because it is bad! I have had dogs before, but they never shed like this......

yorkster
09-03-2001, 01:45 AM
it's me again- this really seems like shedding that is not normal. I just gave her a bath and brush out and hair was almost coming out in clumps (not quite clumps, but ALMOST.......). Any ideas??? Could it be the food or something like that? I know some animals are super sensitive to things. It is especially strange because she did not really shed much at all until just lately, and now there is black hair everywhere. I am vacuming and sweeping 2-3 times a day, and it is still not enough. Time for a vet visit?

aly
09-03-2001, 01:46 AM
My lab used to shed pretty bad all year long. I just had to be very diligent with brushing. I never really tried anything other than that. I will say that my vacuum cleaner sure did get a lot of use :) :)

Sorry I couldn't help more. I'm sure someone else will be able to.

Dixieland Dancer
09-03-2001, 07:14 AM
A couple of things might be going on. First is the food you are giving compared to what was being fed before you got him. I tell people switching to a super premium dog food from something that has more soy and filler types of ingredients to be prepared for the dog to blow their coat. This is a natural way for the dog to lose the toxins in it's system. It should only last 2 to 3 weeks. I have seen it where it does come out in clumps. If it goes on longer than a month contact your vet.

Another thing is this may be the normal time of shedding for your dog. Dixie usually sheds very heavy twice a year. Late spring and early fall. Fall is usually heavier than spring. She is getting ready to grow the thicker winter coat required for living in the cold Pennsylvania climate. During the shedding period it is enough to drive you crazy. Thank God the other times of the year are relatively shed free (you have to expect a normal amount of shedding).

If you are overly concerned by all means make a vet visit. After all you are your pet's best advocate. ;)

KayAnn
09-03-2001, 08:52 AM
hmm.. how old is your dog? if it is young, she could be looseing her puppy fur? am i right? I know i dont know alot about dogs, and i never had to go threw this stage because Simba was full grown when i got him. But, my aunt went threw this with her collie mix, Cody. Carrie, if you out there please tell me if im wrong.

Albea
09-03-2001, 12:03 PM
As far as I know from my own experience with Goldens, this is the time of the year when they shed the undercoat and start growing the winter coat. Carina is also loosing her fur in clumps :( She had a bath on Saturday and I brush her every day. I doesn't make any difference, I could knit a sweater with all the hair I collect daily. If you are too worried you could call the vet, but it seems that you'll have to live with it for another month or so. Isn't it worth it though? ;)

shais_mom
09-03-2001, 12:03 PM
It could be the stress of the move to a new home. When I got Shai, she shed horribly for the first few weeks. And when I acquired Kylie BOTH of them shed horribly at first to.
Go to www.drsfostersmith.com (http://www.drsfostersmith.com) and try their VitaCoat Plus its awesome. I used that on Shai at first and it helped immensely!!

Karen
09-03-2001, 12:16 PM
Some dogs, as Dixieland Dancer says, do have a "heavy shed" in both the spring (to get rid of the winter coat) and fall - to prepare to grow the heavier winetr coat. I'd just brush and brush, and see what happens in a week or so. Border Collies havea pretty dense coat in the winetr, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is what's happening. Does the skin (if you can find it ;)) look nice and healthy?

yorkster
09-03-2001, 03:07 PM
I am feeding her Nutro Lamb & Rice, but I think I will try what Shais_Mom suggested too. (Vita Coat I think?) Thank-you!
She is 3 years old, so I don't think it is her puppy coat. I wish it was just that. It is good to know however that it could be that she is losing her summer coat- I had totally NO idea that happened! I thought it was only in spring. Thanks everyone, I feel better about it now since it seems it won't be an all-the-time thing!

TollSettFK
09-04-2001, 08:07 AM
Yorkster, try a Shedding blade. They basicly take out all the undercoat and dead hair, and make shedding a lot easier to deal with.