PDA

View Full Version : I thought I could do this :(

moosmom
05-12-2003, 06:01 PM
I went to the Dearborn Animal Shelter today for my first day as a volunteer. I spent 2 hours grooming, socializing and clipping kitty nails.

I thought I had given myself enough time from my last stint in rescue, but I may be wrong. I have never seen so many depressed cats in my life! :(

I tried to give a little love to each of the cats. I took them out, held them, talked to them, etc. There are SO many of them in the shelter that the overflow went into the puppy room!! Talk about LOUD! There are at least 5 puppies in there with barks that could shatter glass!!

In the corner was a sweet, SHY little tiger Maine Coon mix named Fawn. She was terrified! She was laying in her litterbox. I picked her up and began stroking her fur and whispering to her. What a wonderful little girl she is! She eventually began to purr. I didn't want to put her back, but I know that 7 is definitely my limit. I thought about fostering her in an effort to socialize her, but I won't want to give her up.

After spending over 2 hours there, I went home, poured myself a glass of wine and cried my eyes out.

wolflady
05-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Bless your heart Donna. Volunteering can be quite difficult at times, but always try to think on the positive side. Imagine the joy that you are bringing to these poor babies in need. Just the sight of your beautiful face and caring voice will bring cheer to these kitties, and you'll be surprised at the transformation you will see when they get used to seeing you and hearing your voice.
Cheers and **hugs**
Karen

Kater
05-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I have never seen so many depressed cats in my life! :(

I know what you mean, Donna. I'm sorry today was so hard on you. I really don't know how Aly does all the work she does, when I volunteered I would get so emotionally drained. I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

besides alcoholism......LOL....just kidding

moosmom
05-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks Karen. I tried to tell myself that these cats are lucky because they will always have a place. The only time they euthanize animals is if they are very sick or a danger to themselves or others.

I'll go again tomorrow and take Fawnie Girl into the cat room where it's quiet. Hopefully when a cage is free they'll move her out of the puppy room.

moosmom
05-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Kater,

I really thought I could make a difference. I wish I had a bigger place so I could foster some of them. They really shouldn't be there. And kitten season hasn't even begun!!!

zippy-kat
05-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Aw, Donna. I think you have the right purr-spective. While it is heartbreaking, at least they always have a "home." And just think what ray of sunshine, human warmth, AFFECTION you bring to them each time you visit. It's so very unself-ish of you put aside your own heartbreak and concentrated on makin' their day(s) a little better...one moment, one ear/chin scritch at a time.

Bless you.

lovemyshiba
05-12-2003, 08:23 PM
that is so wonderful of you to help these babies out--I know they will come to love you so quickly, as you did them.
It sounds like Fawnie Girl is special--I know you will show her how much humans love kittens--you'll be so important in her life and all of the others.

I don't think I could do it, I have wanted to try, but I'm not sure I could.

anna_66
05-12-2003, 08:31 PM
I'm sorry that this is so hard on you. Personally, I don't think I could ever do it, I'd want to bring them all back home with me.
I hope tomorrow is easier for you.{{{{HUGS}}}}

moosmom
05-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Well, I called my friend Chris from Connecticut who was involved in animal rescue with me. I needed a little reassurance (you guys have been GREAT!!) and asked her what I should do.

She told me that the best thing I can do for these cats is to take them out, love them, groom them and let them know they are loved. I told her I had never seen such depressed cats in my life. She assured me by brushing them and doing what I've been doing, it'll help them out tremendously. It's such a heartbreak.

So, I'm going back there tomorrow to continue my crusade. I'm going to talk to someone about possibly putting Fawn in the quiet cat room. I don't think it is in her best interest to be in the puppy room, her being shy and all. She was abandoned at the shelter. There are so many adult cats in there, that space is limited. Hopefully someone will come in and adopt one of the kittens.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks guys for being SO supportive. It's times like this that make me thankful I've got this site and all the wonderful members for friends.

NoahsMommy
05-13-2003, 12:34 AM
Donna,

Luckily, our HS has a ton of volunteers so we are able to see cats flourish....but I can imagine how you feel. I hate seeing new cats arrive...but then think how wonderful their new home will be. Sometimes, cats need to be rehomed to their RIGHTFUL home. Where they are valued and loved right. Things happen for a reason....most of the time, we can't understand that reason. ;)

I agree with those above, you have to have the attitude that you are helping those fur-angels in a way no one else can/will. Just five minutes of love can drastically change them, and will most definitely make them more adoptable.

Keep that in mind....you're doing a great thing.

Love,
Kelly

gini
05-13-2003, 02:16 AM
Donna, Tonya and Kelly and everyone else too, have given you the best advice. Just a moment of kindness to each of these babies has to make a difference for them.

What a wonderful thing you are doing. I really don't think I could handle it. I would be in tears and the next thing would be to bring them all home.

Bless you - you are a very special woman and all of us here love you for it.

Randi
05-13-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by wolflady
Imagine the joy that you are bringing to these poor babies in need. Just the sight of your beautiful face and caring voice will bring cheer to these kitties, and you'll be surprised at the transformation you will see when they get used to seeing you and hearing your voice.
So true! :) I know it's hard on you and I admire you so for doing this!

I really hope these kitties will be adopted to loving homes soon!!

Hugs and best of luck, Donna! :)

ramanth
05-13-2003, 08:10 AM
Bless your heart Donna. I know it is sad, but I believe that you are making a difference and like the others have said, soon they will get used to you and will be happy to see and hear from you.

:)

You can do it! :D

moosmom
05-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks everyone! Have I told you lately you are THE BEST???

marysmerrycats
05-14-2003, 01:02 AM
I'm sorry you had such a bad day... it is so sad about these animals, and you are so caring, no wonder it bothered you.:(
but it's people like you that help and make the world a better place for animals!

05-14-2003, 02:29 AM
http://www.cindydrew.com/cats/free/gr55.gif

Donna, thank you so much for doing this!! I wouldn't be able to...:( Seeing those poor babies suffer, would just brake my heart...

You are the greatest!:)