PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I DO NOT love my dog, like tonight for instance.

ChrisH
05-11-2003, 06:01 PM
10.25pm. I am sitting on the sofa watching tv (for a change), Bob is lying peacefully in his crate (door open) and I can hear Ebby playing happily upstairs. Everthing is hunky-dory.
All of a sudden I see Bob lurch out of his crate and get something, and go back in the crate, no not Ebbs:) but one of her toy mice, I could just see it before it disappeared down his throat (Ebby must have thrown it over the stair-rail).
Lured Bob into the living-room so I could lock his crate to stop him getting back in, rummaged and found the peroxide and syringe (sp), fillled it, hoping I had got the dosage right. Let Bob out and fooled him into letting me dose him, opened the back door and sent him out. Waited and watched him through the little window by the door.
It is wet out there tonight and of course dark. I have the hall light on and the kitchen blinds open and with him having a fair bit of white fur I can see him pretty well.
Five minutes, no joy, so I fill the syringe again, knowing full well as I do so I am wasting my time, he will never let me give him another dose.
(Warning some yukkyness follows )
Go outside with the syringe and shine the torch around, nothing except for two small piles of poop he has done....eeeewww and it stunk out there! Tried to give him another dose but no way....then he vomited, twice, and yes, the mouse was out!
Clean up time, and boy was there a lot of clean-up to do! Cleaned up the poop...forgot to mention, it is wet and those horrible slimy slug things are out in force also.... wishing all the time the back light was working, hang on, maybe it is! Worth a try. Go inside, switch on, yeah, its working! Have light to clean up the vomit by, and there was a lot of it!
All done, go back in, there`s Bob, waggy tail, big grin, the lot! Like nothings happened. And there`s Ebbs, all sulks cos her mouse has gone.....Dogs!!! Cats!!!...words fail me!

This is the same type of mouse as Bob ate, only difference the colour, Bobs tasty treat was yellow with black spots!

binka_nugget
05-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Just one of those nights eh?

lizbud
05-11-2003, 06:50 PM
ChrisH,

I understand your frustration, believe me. Smokey was also
a very bad boy last night. Thank heavens you had the supplies
on hand & knew just what to do for Bob.Poor Bob was just
to tempted by that mousie.:D Hope tonight is more relaxing
for you & the furkids.:)

jenluckenbach
05-11-2003, 06:50 PM
Actually concider yourself lucky that is was Bob (a dog) that ate the foreign object. You wouldn't be able to get Ebby to throw up that easily (a cat) trust me, I've had to try it. Cats just do not like to have to throw up if they can get away without it. Dosed Sterling 3 times with the peroxide, but he would NOT cough up the toy he swallowed!
So exccept for the clean up (YUK) glad everything else went well.

Sudilar
05-11-2003, 06:53 PM
How scary!! Glad the mouse "came up"! :eek:

Pam
05-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Bob what a naughty boy you were, scaring your mom like that and ruining poor Ebby's mousie. I hope your tummy has settled down and that you learned a little lesson tonight. Mousies are for kitties and definitely not for eating. :eek: Maybe you can get back in Mom's good graces by giving her one of those adoring looks that you dogs are so good at. Ebby, if it's any consolation my dogs have ruined many of Trevor and Andy's toys. They just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Cookiebaker
05-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Oh Chris, I know all to well that frustration!!! I'm glad that Bob finally got the mousie up. Malone, too, knows all too well what the peroxide does and turns into a demon dog at the sight of the bottle. So we have to be very discreet and fool him into it, and everytime it gets a little bit harder. :rolleyes:

Here's hoping that tomorrow will be a better day for you! And Bob, NO MORE MOUSIES!!! :)

sabies
05-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Glad you knew what to do and Bob's ok. At least it makes for a good story. . . or, well, a gross story :).

shais_mom
05-11-2003, 10:35 PM
I know exactly how you feel!!!
Glad everything came out errrrr ummmm ok??
Hope tonight is better!

ChrisH
05-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Actually concider yourself lucky that is was Bob (a dog) that ate the foreign object. You wouldn't be able to get Ebby to throw up that easily (a cat) trust me, I've had to try it. Cats just do not like to have to throw up if they can get away without it. Dosed Sterling 3 times with the peroxide, but he would NOT cough up the toy he swallowed!
So exccept for the clean up (YUK) glad everything else went well.
I know what you mean Jen, it does bother me when I think about Ebbs ever swallowing anything that might harm her. Like you say, at least with a dog the peroxide thing does usually work.

Originally posted by Pam
Bob what a naughty boy you were, scaring your mom like that and ruining poor Ebby's mousie. I hope your tummy has settled down and that you learned a little lesson tonight.........
Pam, Bob is just a bad dawg, full stop, when it comes to picking up stuff and swallowing. The sort of stuff, and the amount, over the years that he has swallowed is beyond the pale, and heaven knows what he has had that I don`t know about..... I remember one day he vomited up a very suspicous thing, it was small square of a brown, what looked like a little block of resin wrapped in thick plastic. I threw it away but when I described it to someone who knows about such things they said they thought it was cannibis!!:eek:
And Bob was back to his naughty ways this morning while we were out for his walk! Twice he picked up stuff, twice I was standing in the field with my hand in his mouth waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for him to release it, PLUS he was growling and showing his teeth!:o Bad, Bad boy!
The first thing was a smallish plastic type cup which was quite easy to get out of his mouth the second thing was harder..... I put it in my pocket so I could throw it away at home, I think it is still there.... yup, took a picture, it is the plastic thing on top of my tea caddy.

Edwina's Secretary
05-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Oh Bob!!!! You silly boy. Toy mice are NOT for eating -- nor are plastic thingies. Stick to eating the wonderful cookies your mummy makes for you!

And I thought peroxide was just for cuts and turning hair greenish-blonde!

Cataholic
05-12-2003, 02:41 PM
BOB-
You nawteedog! No more mousies! Leave ALL of Ebby's stuff alone, ALL of it!!!

I didn't know about the peroxide....what do you do, how much do you give, etc?

Here is to hoping tonight is quieter....

lovemyshiba
05-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Bob!! Nawtee dog!!! Ebb's mousies are not for you to eat--I'm sure your mommy has told you that!!!

I'm glad to hear that you "took care of it", and he's fine after the mouse incident.

ChrisH
05-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
........And I thought peroxide was just for cuts and turning hair greenish-blonde!
Sara, so did I until I got this trash or anything eating dog! :D

Originally posted by Cataholic
I didn't know about the peroxide....what do you do, how much do you give, etc?
Johanna, the dosage depends on the size of dog, and the strength of peroxide, I think!:) I just fill the plastic syringe half peroxide and half water, at least that was how I remembered to do it last night, and it had to be near enough right cos it worked!
Okay, just looked it up:
To make your pet vomit, give him household hydrogen peroxide (a 3 percent solution) -about one tablespoon for every ten pounds of pet. Draw the liqiud into a syringe or turkey baster, tip your pets head back and squirt it toward the back of his tongue. In most cases your pet will vomit within five minutes - (although it may not work with cats; even vets have trouble making them vomit) - If he doesn`t, wait fifteen minutes and try again. Don`t give a third dose, however, because giving too much hydrogen peroxide can be dangerous.
Now you know as much about it as me!:D I am not sure if I got the ratio right in the dose I gave Bob though, the syringe I used holds a little over five ml and it was half and half peroxide/water, but right or not, like I already wrote, it worked!:D

p,s. Bob has been good tonight, had to be, he was banished to his crate for the night!:D Though to be fair it has been unlocked for a few hours now and he is still being good.:)

bnormal
05-12-2003, 06:37 PM
ChrisH, I know you love Bob bunches regardless of the cleanup in aisle 4!

A few years back Callihan destroyed one of my television remotes. A week later my wife was out in the back yard cleaning up the "waste" when she saw a "AA" battery laying in a section of the "waste"...

Callihan was caged during the day soon after that!

:D :D :D

clara4457
05-12-2003, 11:09 PM
This is why I love this site - I did not know about the peroxide mix - what a great bit of information.

shais_mom
05-12-2003, 11:19 PM
You can also give them a tsp or 2 of Salt. That is what I have used on Keegan.

marysmerrycats
05-13-2003, 01:31 AM
ebby says..."dogs! hmmph! thats was my favorite toy! he ATE my favorite toy, the idiot!"(ebby looks very indignant!)
of course I am not saying that your dog is an idiot, just that from the cats point of view, about dogs...
I'm sorry you had such an awful time !

gini
05-13-2003, 01:54 AM
Chris, you make my overflowing toilet sound like a piece of cake (well, not exactly).

Poor you and poor Bob and of course, poor Ebby who has lost her mouse!

After you get them to "bring it up", I love the way they wag their tails and say "what else do you have?"

I hope all settles down soon.

Rascal is on Ebby's side - after all, it was HER mouse.

Pam
05-13-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by ChrisH
I was standing in the field with my hand in his mouth

Oh Chris this sounds just like me with Bella. I can't count how many times I have struck this pose - bent over, hand in dog mouth trying to fish something out! :D If I had $1.00 for each time this has happened I would be quite a wealthy person right now! LOL! Bella likes things like the plastic thing that Bob found. It is just the right shape for gnawing on. She also loves to destroy the plastic squeekers inside her toys. In fact I do believe she thinks it is a timed event to see how fast she can chew through the toy to get to the squeeker. Fortunately she doesn't swallow the squeekers but just gnaws on them a bit.

Yesterday I noticed, as I was getting ready for work and putting on my make-up, that a hoop earring was missing from my ear. I traced my steps back to where I had put my clothes on, assuming it got pulled off as I was dressing. I was right. It was there, but chewed! :eek: Thank God she didn't swallow it because it was very sharp looking. :eek:

The ones I really worry about around here are the cats. Sometimes when I am scooping their boxes I am amazed at the foreign body shapes I find in there. I am not inclined to investigate what it may be, but I know it's not normal and fortunately it all worked its way out! :eek:

Rachel
05-13-2003, 07:07 AM
Oh, Bob, you are a funny boy...I'm just glad this story had a happy ending. For some reason the upchuck solution never occurred to me for swallowing foreign objects. I just thought they would have to work their way through. DUH!

We averted a crises the other day. My husband was in the kitchen (where every dog knows anything that falls on the floor must be something to eat) when the rubber tip from the cane he was using (temporary foot injury) fell off. It was a split second later that Tucker had it in his mouth. And a half-a split second later that I grabbed it out of his mouth. If I had been one millisecond slower, I'm sure it would have been down the tubes. Tucker is not one to chew.

Bella girl, it is not to late to get Mom a new pair of earrings for Mother's Day....you silly girl.

anna_66
05-13-2003, 07:08 AM
What a night you had:eek:

Bob, you shouldn't worry your mum like that!

Logan
05-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Oh Chris, I'm sorry I'm laughing............but I'm only doing it because I know Bob is ok now. :D The syringe is a good idea! I never thought of having one on hand. I've only had to do the peroxide thing once, with Honey, when she ingested six Immodium tablets. Talk about stopping up the plumbing!!! :eek: And we gave her the peroxide with a spoon!! :o

Yesterday's victim (Honey's victim) was a chipmunk! Normally, she just carries the victims around in her mouth, never leaving a mark. Yesteray, she was vicious with it, and cleaning that mess up was worse than any poop scooping job I have ever had!!! YUCK!!!! At least it was outside, and not like Sandra's Star who threw up the whole squirrel in her house!!

ChrisH
05-13-2003, 04:38 PM
It`s sort of nice to know there is more than one or two other nawtee-dawgs like Bob who own humans here on Pet Talk!:D

Pam wrote....I can't count how many times I have struck this pose - bent over, hand in dog mouth trying to fish something out! If I had $1.00 for each time this has happened I would be quite a wealthy person right now! LOL!........She also loves to destroy the plastic squeekers inside her toys. In fact I do believe she thinks it is a timed event to see how fast she can chew through the toy to get to the squeeker. Fortunately she doesn't swallow the squeekers but just gnaws on them a bit. Yeah, Pam, we would be rich wouldn`t we! I can relate to the experience of squeeker toy destruction too, except that Bob did eat the squeekers!:D He`s only allowed Kong toys now!
Cookiebaker wrote .......Malone, too, knows all too well what the peroxide does and turns into a demon dog at the sight of the bottle. So we have to be very discreet and fool him into it, and everytime it gets a little bit harder.
Anna, I`ve been thinking about that. What I think I will try with Bob, and maybe it work for you too, is to every week or so, give him a syringe filled with milk, or some other drink he likes, so that he will associate it with something nice. Just a thought.....maybe a dumb one but a thought nevertheless!:D

shais mom wrote You can also give them a tsp or 2 of Salt. That is what I have used on Keegan.Staci, that sounds even better! Does it work as good? I think I tried it once a long time ago but I can`t remember how it turned out.

marymerrycats wrote .....of course I am not saying that your dog is an idiot, just that from the cats point of view, about dogs... Well, Mary, the cats view could be right, he has to be an idiot dog to be eating the stuff he does! :D

gini wrote After you get them to "bring it up", I love the way they wag their tails and say "what else do you have?" Yeah, gini, another reason for to agree with the cats point of view!:D :D

Rachel wrote........ For some reason the upchuck solution never occurred to me for swallowing foreign objects. I just thought they would have to work their way through. DUH! Rachel, no DUH!, it does most of the time. I don`t always dose Bob, it is just sometimes I feel it is better to be safe than sorry with some of the stuff he swallows.

Logan wrote Oh Chris, I'm sorry I'm laughing............but I'm only doing it because I know Bob is ok now. Logan, don`t be sorry, I was laughing too... later on! I don`t think I would be laughing if I had to clean up what you had to, I am sure that would make me feel ill for days! I am also glad I keep my cat Ebbs indoors, I know I wouldn`t be able to cope with bird kill either!

bnormal wrote A few years back Callihan destroyed one of my television remotes. A week later my wife was out in the back yard cleaning up the "waste" when she saw a "AA" battery laying in a section of the "waste"... Callihan was caged during the day soon after that! bnormal, I just love that Callihan Dog of the Day pic, he is sooo gorgeous!:) And, by the way, how is Mitchell doing?

Thanks for all your responses Pet Talkers! Just to update you, Bob has not eaten any foriegn objects today!:D :D

bnormal
05-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Hi ChrisH, how are you?

Mitch is doing great. He is 10 months old now and weighs in at 90lbs!

His demodex has effected his back area at the moment. It comes and goes.

take care!

:D :D :D

say hi to Bob for us!