PDA

View Full Version : Bloody urine!!??

Desert Arabian
05-11-2003, 11:36 AM
I noticed a dark puddle on their purple shelf of the Super Pet cage...that struck me as odd since I don't give them any dark liquids. So, I grabbed a paper towel and wiped it up, it was a dark brown color with some tints of red in it. It looked like the color of dried blood. I smelled it ( :o ), but their was no noticeable smell. What do you think it could be? I checked Peanut, Suzie, and Chloe's "spots" to see if there was any blood discharge...they didn't have any from what I could see, I still have to check the others.

Any advice as to what it could be or what I should do?

p.s. I know this should be in Pet Health..but not to many people go there, that I know of.

Desert Arabian
05-11-2003, 11:38 AM
Oh dear, I just checked Fred, and he has blood on his private part, oh dear, should I call the vet????

shellonabeach
05-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Could it be a urinary tract infection? If so it is treatable with anti-biotics.

Or it could possibly be cystitis (sp?) which again would possibly need anti-biotics and cranberry juice available to drink (as well as his normal water) - this is no joke and is given to guinea pigs with the problem.

Other than that how is Fred in himself?

As it is a Sunday and I think you said you have some anti-biotics perhaps you could start him on them now and take him to the vet tomorrow.

Desert Arabian
05-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Fred seems to be just fine, otherwise, yesterday he was outside for quite a while with his pasl since it was a nice day out. Right now he is playing peek-a-boo with me from behind the pillow. :D

shellonabeach
05-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Forgot to add when guinea pigs have cystitis they squeak when they urinate as it is painful. Please don't laugh but do rats squeak? When I fed my friends for her over a weekend i don't remember hers doing it.

Desert Arabian
05-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Yes, they squeak, I don't know about when they pee (Fred hasn't). Sometimes when I go to pick up Suzie she squeaks.

luckies4me
05-11-2003, 08:48 PM
It could be a penis ring, or just over grooming. My bucks tend to "Overgroom" down there and sometimes they cause themselves to bleed. They usually do this after they eat, and from what I've been told it's normal. However it could be a urinary tract infection or just a nick.

Chinchillas also get penis rings. I am not sure how to go about treating it, but the hair would have to be removed. Let us know how he is doing.

Desert Arabian
05-11-2003, 09:13 PM
I do notice them (Oscar & Fred) paying special attention down below, they do groom there a lot. Peanut goes back to the vet on Tuesday for a check-up, should I mention to my vet about this situation and see what she thinks??

luckies4me
05-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Well it wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)