PDA

View Full Version : Do cats dream?

Kirsten
05-10-2003, 01:22 PM
We all know it often looks like that, and I have read several articles that all say they do, but have you ever wondered what they dream?

What do you think does a cat dream look like? Do they dream of other cats, people or places they know? Do their dreams help them to cope with experiences they've made during the day (like "human" dreams do)? Or do they only have these "hunting dreams" or dreams of food? Could it be they even have nightmares?

I would sooooo like to know what my cat sees in her sleep! :)

Kirsten

AmberLee
05-10-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure, but am fairly certain Cassy dreams of food/eating... at least sometimes.

05-10-2003, 02:48 PM
I just askad Inka, but all she says is "meow mow moowow!"

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

LOL!

I am convinced that my cats have dreams! Maya often sqeeks in her sleep (birdies??) and I saw Inka open her claws and then lick her lips....(mice??)

ScantyNebula
05-10-2003, 02:52 PM
In a book:

Question: "I'm told that my teeth sometimes chatter, my feet paddle, and my eyelids flutter while I'm sleeping. What's happening?"

Answer:

"That is cat dreaming. And cats do it alot. Only when a cat is completely relaxed will he fall into a deep sleep. Electrical activity in the brain changes and the excitement begins. "

"Cats are very intelligent animals, and their brains are constantly taking in tremendous amounts of information. One of the possible reasons for dreaming is that it is the cats way of reclassifying or even getting rid of the build up of unnecessary data in the brain. "

book: 101 questions your cat would ask its vet if your cat could talk. Author: Dr. Bruce Fogle

sounds interesting..

ScantyNebula
05-10-2003, 02:54 PM
i think they dream about about the things they normally do everyday... he's probably dreaming about himself sleeping or something lol :D

marysmerrycats
05-10-2003, 04:54 PM
I posted something similar to this a while back... another good question is, do they remember their dreams, and do they think it really happend?

Kirsten
05-10-2003, 04:55 PM
lut, I don't understand Inka's language either, but Luna says Inka has said she's dreaming of mice... :)

SN, that's an interesting quote from that book! I have another book by Bruce Fogle and he seems to know a lot about cats!

My Katz seemed to have nightmares btw. Often she would quiver and she was crying in her sleep, especially when she got older.

And Luna is sometimes sighing when she's sleeping, she's making the cutest noises, it's really sweet! :)

Kirsten

Kirsten
05-10-2003, 04:58 PM
I posted something similar to this a while back... another good question is, do they remember their dreams, and do they think it really happend?

I'm sorry, Mary, I missed that one! :o

That's a good question indeed. You mean, IF the remember their dreams, do they realize it was a dream or do they think it was real?

Wouldn't it be great if we could be our cat for one day? That would be the answer of so many of our questions! *sigh*

Kirsten

marysmerrycats
05-10-2003, 09:12 PM
what difference does it make, do they or if they do...LOL
I actually did mean, do they not if.:)

Felicia's Mom
05-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Beau dreams, he moves his leg and paws, and chatters his teeth. He also has his eye partly open when he is dreaming, but
you can tell he is asleep.

AmberLee
05-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Lady Olivia d'Flufferuni has just stopped by for a cuddle and a bit of girl talk. She frequently dreams of ... Tattxxx11's Oliver and catnip. Sometimes together, sometimes separately.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Ally twitches her little feet, wrinkles her nose and wiggles her ears. She won't tell me what it is all about but I have two guesses:

1. She is chasing all the birdies she sees on Cat TV
2. She is dreaming about Bach tickling her tummy:rolleyes: