PDA

View Full Version : Best kinds of Collars and Leashes.....

*LabLoverKEB*
08-31-2001, 06:48 PM
I want to know what all of you think are the best kinds of Collars and Leashes. I don't know what kinds are the best! Please post what you think are the best! Thank you!!!! :)

KYS
08-31-2001, 07:46 PM
This is what I use for my dogs,
I am sure others will have their favorites.

Leash: I prefer for odedience work and
daily walks a 6' leather leash.
For play: I use a flexi.

Collars:
Pepper uses a harness.
Rocky: For obedience work I use a choke chain.
For daily walking I use either a choke or
a Gentle leader for walking him.
The Gentle Leader is great for
behavior training.
Sheba: I use a Grey Hound collar made out of nylon for daily walking.

For everyday collars with I.D. I use
either their nylon break away collars for when they are alone, or a nylon snap collar with I.D. :)

Daisy's Mom
08-31-2001, 08:44 PM
Daisy uses a big thick braided leash, and a collar that has her name and our phone number embroidered into it. They both work pretty well.

kobieeli
08-31-2001, 11:42 PM
Both dogs wear buckle-type rolled leather collars so their fur doesn't mat down; their tags are on these. For obedience work we sometimes use nylon slip (choke) collars.

Leashes are 6 foot leather.

Kobie also has a nylon harness to wear when she goes for a run with us on rollerblades--we glide, and she pulls us along like a little sled dog! :eek:

shais_mom
09-01-2001, 12:14 AM
The martingale: greyhound collar is the only way to go for those of us who have dogs with bigger necks than heads.
I don't think I would ever buy a regular collar for a dog especially if its a doberman or rottweiler.
Shai has a 9 foot black leash with a traffic handle that I use when she is a little rambuntious and I need to control her better. And she has a 16 foot flexi leash that she gets to wear when she plays. I wouldn't want a longer one unless I was anchored to a tree, or I would go flying!!!

Dixieland Dancer
09-01-2001, 07:34 AM
I use flat buckle or snap collar for everyday wear (including training). A 6' leather leash is the lead of preference. I can grip it better!

I do not use choke chains anymore. When I first started training over 25 years ago, choke chains were the preferred method of training. It was the correct unwanted behavior and praise theory. Over the years I have been in contact with several differing opinions. There are several differing opinions still out there however more and more professional trainers are going to positive training theories instead of negative. This could be considered the Reward for wanted behavior theory.

While I have used both methods, I find training goes more quickly and more thoroughly when the reward method is used. Therefore, I don't use chokes anymore.

Just put yourself in your dogs paws. How would you like to have someone pulling a choke around your neck just because you didn't understand what they were telling you? Sorry to have gotten off the subject a little.... I just figured I should elaborate why I don't use chokes anymore since it seems so many people still do.