PDA

View Full Version : Working with animals

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 06:55 PM
I'm wondering if any of you work with animals for a living, and if so, how did you get into the field you're in.

After we move next month, I have to start looking for a job, and I've decided that I would love to get a job working with animals. Sometimes they're so much easier to deal with than people! ;)
Trouble is, I've never worked with any animals other than my own. :(

Help. :)

jenluckenbach
05-09-2003, 07:14 PM
I am a pet groomer. Have been for 18 years. Truth is, I graduated form college with a B.S. in animal science, but decided that I wanted to groom dogs. (and cats). I actually started working at a shelter and then moved to the grooming shop that did the shelter's pets for adoption. What can I say, it's what I know and thrive at. But it is HARD! Don't let anyone fool you. And when you work with pets, you "work" with people too. And sometimes THAT is the hardest part. I wish you luck in your search and if you'd like to ask any questions, feel free to PM me.

shellonabeach
05-09-2003, 07:28 PM
jenluckenbach,

I am in the UK and in 2 weeks time will finish my degree in BSc Animal Science!!!

Ideally I would like to get a job involving animal behaviour, I am taking a part-time course in rodentology starting in September whilst working.

Realistically I think I will get any job I can and keep the animals as my "hobby" ie continuing to take difficult rodents and devoting all my spare time to them.

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 08:48 PM
A degree in Animal Science, huh? :(

I too thought about starting at the shelter, but I think the shelters are run by the city, and I'd have to become a city employee to work there. Also, I don't know if I could work at a shelter that wasn't no-kill. That would be way too hard, I think. :(

I haven't worked in 5 years and when I did, I was a substitute teacher. That's a far cry from doing what I really want to do.

moosmom
05-09-2003, 11:13 PM
I have always wanted to work with animals. I was in animal rescue in CT for 7 years. I love working with animals more than people. I've applied to the Humane Society and I'm waiting to hear. I'm a volunteer with the Dearborn Animal Shelter and I love it!

Good luck!

Rocky'smomma
05-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by shellonabeach
jenluckenbach,

I am in the UK and in 2 weeks time will finish my degree in BSc Animal Science!!!

Ideally I would like to get a job involving animal behaviour, I am taking a part-time course in rodentology starting in September whilst working.

Realistically I think I will get any job I can and keep the animals as my "hobby" ie continuing to take difficult rodents and devoting all my spare time to them.

What experience is required to be a pet groomer? I applied at PetSmart to do this, but I have no experience...do they train or would they just not hire me because of nonexperiece ya think? I think it seems to be a neat field to try out

shellonabeach
05-10-2003, 10:19 AM
A degree in Animal Science, huh?

"Animal Science" does sound a little bad doesn't it.

Here it is nothing like animal experimentation, far from it. It is a course about nutrition, physiology and behaviour of animals.

Unfortunately as I am a vegetarian the nutrition and physiology parts have been aimed at animal production - meat and animal products. However what we have learnt say diet forumlation can be applied to any animal, horses, cats, dogs etc.

I chose modules which focused on the behaviour aspect and for my dissertation designed and peformed an experiment on horses behaviour and how their stabled behaviour could be enriched.

Many people use this as a step to get into vet school if they didn;t get the grades to get in after school.

Kerri Greyson
05-10-2003, 11:10 AM
is another Zooligy(SP) name for Animal Science??? cause that is one of my sisters courses she is taking while taking nursing??

jenluckenbach
05-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Rocky'smomma
What experience is required to be a pet groomer? I applied at PetSmart to do this, but I have no experience...do they train or would they just not hire me because of nonexperiece ya think? I think it seems to be a neat field to try out
There are 2 ways to go about getting into grooming. 1 is to go to dog grooming school. 2 is to work at a place that they will train you. I never went to school.