PDA

View Full Version : service dog at work today

lovemyshiba
05-09-2003, 04:30 PM
As some of you know, I work in a restaurant. Today, around 1 pm, when our lunch crowd began to leave, 3 people and a dog came in for lunch. One man was in a wheelchair, and the dog is his. This dog was a service dog for him. He was a beautiful black lab, his name is Marvin. He just laid on the floor and at ice cubes the whole time. I know these dogs are trained so well, but I couldn't believe it--all that food going past him--I even swept right near his paws, and he didn't do anything.
He was so beautiful, and it was all I could do to resist petting him and giving him a big hug.

Cookiebaker
05-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Aww Marvin sounds so sweet!!! I know what you mean about them seeming irrisistable!! ;)

Cheshirekatt
05-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Awwwwww! It's so hard not to touch them, huh? What a good boy. :D

tatsxxx11
05-09-2003, 07:20 PM
The work these dogs do is amazing! Each and every one of them is a hero in my book! And it's so hard to resist giving them a hug and kiss! Marvin, you're a hero!!:)

KYS
05-09-2003, 08:10 PM
I also love seeing a service dog.
I agree, everyone is a hero. :)

Kater
05-09-2003, 09:10 PM
I always smile when I see a service dog. :)

kingrattus
05-09-2003, 11:36 PM
I learned my lesson the hard way not to trust the owner of a service dog. I was quite young. maybe 8yrs tops. I didn't know much about service dogs, but I knew u had to ask to pet a strange dog. I was in the local mall & asked the lady if I could pet her dog, she said sure, & when I was about to touch him he lundged at me and just missed my skin. I wasn't the only small kid that dog tried to attack, he went after a toddler & after people who were just walking by. I sent a huge complaint to the mall, about the dog trying to attack people for no reason & the owner doing nothing at all except pet the horrible dog.

needless to say the dog was removed & banned from the mall for being too agressive towards everyone.

I'm not too sure how that dog passed its course. I have helped blind people find a door by guiding their hand & their dog did nothing to me.

Cheshirekatt
05-09-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by kingrattus
I learned my lesson the hard way not to trust the owner of a service dog. I was quite young. maybe 8yrs tops. I didn't know much about service dogs, but I knew u had to ask to pet a strange dog. I was in the local mall & asked the lady if I could pet her dog, she said sure, & when I was about to touch him he lundged at me and just missed my skin. I wasn't the only small kid that dog tried to attack, he went after a toddler & after people who were just walking by. I sent a huge complaint to the mall, about the dog trying to attack people for no reason & the owner doing nothing at all except pet the horrible dog.

needless to say the dog was removed & banned from the mall for being too agressive towards everyone.

I'm not too sure how that dog passed its course. I have helped blind people find a door by guiding their hand & their dog did nothing to me.

I'll bet it wasn't a real service dog. There are people who will procure a service dog vest illegally and use that to take their pet dogs with them everywhere they go. There is a huge fine if you get caught. Not to mention it's just a terribly crappy thing to do.

babolaypo65
05-10-2003, 11:37 AM
I agree. It probably wasn't a legit service dog. They go through very rigorous training, and would never have been certified if they had aggression issues.

Just to clarify: the reason you don't pet them isn't because they might be mean, it's because they are working and are required to be focused on their owner. Even if the dog is lying quietly on the floor next to his owner (or asleep) they are working.

If a service dog has his vest off (or in the case of a guide dog for a blind person, if he has his harness off), then you may appropriately ask if you can pet or say hello to the dog.

anna_66
05-10-2003, 11:45 AM
I've also seen quite a few service dogs at my work, I just don't know how they are so behaved with all that food around...it just amazes me!

kingrattus
05-10-2003, 05:53 PM
then why do the owners say yes u can pet their dog? or say its ok u can pet him.

maybe its different in canada?

Cheshirekatt
05-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by kingrattus
then why do the owners say yes u can pet their dog? or say its ok u can pet him.

maybe its different in canada?

That's another reason why I thought it wasn't a real service dog.

But yes......it may be different in Canada. :)

kingrattus
05-10-2003, 06:04 PM
I see this blind guy on the bus & at school & he tells people its ok to pet the dog.. the dog just ignors them..

my dad use to own a guid dog, it was a gift from the school for blind children. he use to work there. my dad said if the owner says u can pet the dog, u only pet the dogs head & u don't talk to it, just pet.