PDA

View Full Version : Thelmer

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Hi everyone. :)

As most of you know, Thelmer went in for her operation today. We dropped her off at a little after 8:00 this morning, and she should be ready to come home some time between 4:00pm and 6:00pm.

I hope Rottie can concentrate on her school work today. :eek: She's a little nervous, but she's handling it ok.

Please send your good thoughts and prayers to Thelmer and Rottie today. They're going to need them.

:)

GoldenRetrLuver
05-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Im sure they will both be okay! Best wishes and prayers to both!:)

Uabassoon
05-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Good luck Thelmer! I'm sure everything will be ok, and you'll be hopping around again in no time.

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Thanks everyone. :) Rottie logs on from school in the afternoons (even though she's not supposed to) and seeing this will make her feel better. :)

Just curious, but does anyone know if rabbits get any post-op pain medication?

zippy-kat
05-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Rottie ~ You concentrate on your school work... I'm sure your bunners will be ever-so-ready to see you after school. (school? concentrate? easier said than done, huh? ;) )

Thelmer ~ I'm wishing you a quick, speedy recovery sweet one!

tatsxxx11
05-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Wishing you a very speedy and complete recovery, sweet Thelmer:)

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Rottie, I haven't heard anything from the vet and they say no news is good news, right? ;)

I've cleaned out her cage and made a little spot for her to lie down and rest.

I hope she's ok. :o

Look at me, the nervous grandma. :rolleyes: :D

zippy-kat
05-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Hey nervous grandma! I forgot to tell you that Piper (neuter) didn't have any pain meds and for the life of me, I can't remember whether or not Sophie (spay) did. I know (and I'll look at lunch for the dosage per pound) that you can give them orange-flavored baby aspirin.

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks, zippy. :)

I'd hate to think that the poor girl has to go through this without pain medication. :(

slick
05-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Oh boy, so many people need so many prayers today. God's got a lot of work to do.

Don't worry Rottie, things will be OK. Before you know it, Thelmer will be back to her old self again.

zippy-kat
05-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by slick
Before you know it, Thelmer will be back to her old self again.
hee hee... they hope not -- she bites! ;)

Maybe she should undergo hypnotherapy...
"keep your eyes on the carrot... you are getting sleepyyyyy... you will no longer biteeeee...."

Daisylover
05-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Thelmer should not need any pain medication and you don't want to handle her anymore than is absolutely necessary for a week or so. No picking up, leaping, jumping or rough play allowed She should be able to come out of her cage for gentle exercise by Sunday a.m. She'll probably be sleepy when she comes home and she may not eat much today...hard to say, each bunny is different. Monitor how much she eats, her appetite should return to normal tonorrow, and her poop and peeing should go back to normal too. Her gut needs to keep moving so if you feel she may not be eating enough by late tomorrow, I would do the worried mommy thing and call the vet to see what he thinks.

I just got Rottie's email about the anesthetic.....I am so sorry I wasn't able to answer it but it sounds like you have a vet who knows bunnies and that's what is important.

The anesthetic by the way is a gas, isofluorine, comes in a purple cylinder and the regulator should be set at 5 AND NOT CHANGED during the op. Bunnies are great at playing possum and a dose less than 5 can wake them up before the surgery is over.

It sounds like everything went well. Keep us informed of Thelmer's progress...we all are very fond of Rottie and Thelmer.

Rottieluver45
05-09-2003, 12:59 PM
It`s ok Daisy! Yep I`m in school,I`m nervous about Thelmer and stuff but I never concentrate in school anyways,why would I do that?!:D

Dear MOMMY: Did you remove the second leval of her cage? Please do!Thank you dearest mother!

P.S. Still 3 more periods until we pick the Bun up!
Thanks for all the good thoughts everyone!

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks Daisy and zippy, and everyone else who has helped Rottie make this decision. :) I'm glad Thelmer will get to stay. :)

Hi Rottie, I see you. :D

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Rottieluver45
Yep I`m in school, I`m nervous about Thelmer and stuff but I never concentrate in school anyways,why would I do that?!:D

:mad: :eek:

Did you forget I was here daughter? :D

Dear MOMMY: Did you remove the second leval of her cage? Please do!Thank you dearest mother!

I removed the second level. I cleaned out her cage, litterbox and placed a little food in there for her. I also put her soft, green pillowcases in her cage so she can lay down on them.

That rabbit is more spoiled than you are! :eek: :D

zippy-kat
05-09-2003, 01:15 PM
For Sophie, they sent me home with a syringe of Turbutrol to administer 6-8 hours after I got her home.

PJ's Mom, I'm going to PM you some more info as soon as I find it....

Karen
05-09-2003, 01:21 PM
They didn't send any pain medicaation home with Miss Hoppy, and she recovered just fine, and pretty quickly, too.

She did better with that than with her broken leg, when that happened. She kept standing on the cast and rebreaking it, went through many changes of cast, and at the end, the vet said she might hop with a limp, but she doesn't! :)

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 01:26 PM
She broke her leg? How awful. Poor baby. :(

I'm glad she healed completely, though. :)

Logan
05-09-2003, 01:40 PM
I'm just catching up on all of Thelmer's news today. First of all a big "Hurray" that she's going to stay with you guys! She is so cute and I know you love her to pieces. Maybe with her new plumbing, she'll be an even nicer bunny. I don't know if bunnies are like dogs and cats, but it may take a little while for those hormones to settle down, so don't expect miracles right away.

Hope she does great today. I know you will be happy to have her at home.

By the way, PJ's Mom, it's nice to have you back! I have missed seeing PJ, who reminds me so much of my RB Cocker, Kaycee.

Logan :)

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Hi Logan! Long time no see. :) I hope you and all your "kids" are doing well. :)

I'll try to get more pictures of Peej up as soon as we get moved. :) Right now, I'm hard pressed to find a camera. ;)

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 03:54 PM
It's time to go pick up Thelmer now. :)

Rottieluver45
05-09-2003, 05:43 PM
We have thelmer at home now!! She`s doing really good so far! Do you think she might tear out her stitches? The Vet tech said that they will eventually dissolve!Her pillow case is really wet from where she had her underside on it!

PJ's Mom
05-09-2003, 07:03 PM
I have to say that while the operation was a success, I hope that this place treats animals better than they treat people. :mad:

When I made the appointment, no one told me if I needed to stop feeding her before the operation, or even what time the appointment was. I had to ask specific questions that most doctors offices tell you up front. When I went to pick her up, I had to ask about special post op care because they took my money, handed Thelmer to me and that was it. :eek:

It made me really wish that Peej and Bailey's vet took buns.

jenluckenbach
05-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Well, I am further behind than I thought!!!!!! Congratulations to Thelmer on a successful spay operation. And a HUGE hip hip hooray that she get to stay with you! (But not to look a "gift horse in the mouth" so to speak, what changed your minds?)

zippy-kat
05-09-2003, 08:41 PM
Glad to hear everything went A-OK!!

:D :D :D

popcornbird
05-09-2003, 11:04 PM
OMG! How did I miss this thread? :eek:

I'm so glad to hear Thelmer gets to stay with you and that her operation went well. :) Keep us updated! :D

Karen
05-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Rottieluver45
We have thelmer at home now!! She`s doing really good so far! Do you think she might tear out her stitches?

Miss Hoppy didn't, but every bunny is different. I'd guess that she won't want to be "poking at" the sore area for now.

Miss Hoppy did, however, eat some of her plaster cast when she had the broken leg ... bleaaaagh! Oooh, gonna start a new thread to tell her latest new treat ...

luckies4me
05-09-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom

When I made the appointment, no one told me if I needed to stop feeding her before the operation, or even what time the appointment was. .

Aren't rabbits the same as rats, that they cannot vomit as they do not have the muscles that would allow them to do so? At our clinic we recommend that the bun not be fed beforehand as it can upset their stomach, but it is not necessary like cats and dogs, as they can vomit and aspixiate (sp?) if they are fed the night before or the morning of the surgery.

Glad to hear the surgery was a success and that Thelmer gets to stay! :D

PJ's Mom
05-10-2003, 12:39 PM
I guess they are the same as rats. They told us she could eat, so we fed her. Everything was ok. :)

Trouble is now, we can't get her to eat much, and she hasn't gone potty since she's been home. Should we worry about her?

Logan
05-12-2003, 08:01 AM
How's Thelmer doing today? I hope she is getting back to normal! :)

Daisylover
05-12-2003, 10:34 AM
If she isn't eating or pooping I'd call the vet ASAP, she should be by now! Don't delay.

Rottieluver45
05-12-2003, 11:43 AM
She`s eating regularly but I think she ripped out a stitch.

PayItForward
05-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Thelmer I hope you get well soon. :)

PJ's Mom
05-12-2003, 02:25 PM
She growled at me. She's fine. :rolleyes:

:D

zippy-kat
05-12-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
She growled at me. She's fine. :rolleyes:

:D

:D :D :D

(don't they sound funny when they growl? like little piggies!)