PDA

View Full Version : Meet our newest rescue. Alex- a peach faced lovebird :)

luckies4me
05-08-2003, 11:26 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p906057fc4ed2aba858b95e27714ca003/fc2f7baf.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p3756685a74ad2173b59c5099a26b37b8/fc2f7bf4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p51c07b1993cb37d0bd7150107f82a324/fc2f7c26.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pbe56e1f7cb3d2ddd5400e827ae607603/fc2f7c75.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p11ebda60ee71cdbdb279e899bc1bf536/fc2f7cbe.jpg

kingrattus
05-08-2003, 11:29 PM
awwww.. is his leg broken??

luckies4me
05-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Well as you can see he has a broken leg. He came from a breeder who did not want to pay for him to be treated and wanted to euthanize him. So I took him, he got his legged fixed yesterday and now he is home with me to recover. He needs to keep his splint on for three weeks. He hates the thing and is already picking at it. There is a chance it could not heal properly and we will have to amputate, but hopefully the splint will work. The break is at the very top of his leg.

I can't believe they were going to euthanize him! :mad: I could not let that happen. He's such a sweet bird. He's a little nippy but that is understandable as his leg probably hurts. He loves to have his head scratched and his back petted. :D I know he will be a great birdy once his leg heals and he trusts people. It's very scary for a bird to break it's leg, leave it's home, undergo surgery and than move again. I love him already. :D

He has to be in a tiny cage until he recovers. :( But I did put some thing in there for him. He loves his cuddle nest though. It's the purple thing. ;) I put some rings in there as well. I have to give him water in a dish every 30 minutes to avoid getting his bandage wet. So please send good vibes for Alex to recover soon and not need an amputation.

P.S. I am not sure if it is a boy or girl.....so Alex is what I named him as it could always be Alexis if it needs to be. ;)

Kater
05-08-2003, 11:55 PM
Alex(is) is precious! I hope s/he heals up ASAP! I'm so glad you are giving him/her this chance. I can see how you fell in love so quickly......

Breeders -- is money all that matters to them???? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

luckies4me
05-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Kater

Breeders -- is money all that matters to them???? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well to some, apprently it does. :( I breed rats on a small scale for show/pets and I rarely make a dime off of it. But there are others out there who mass produce etc. who only care about the money. All my rats get vet care when they need it. I know birds cost so much more than rats to breed because we raised cockatiels when I was younger. Heaven forbid something should happen to my moms birds, she would freak out lol. She was so in love with those birdies, it was incredible. :)

Jessica12345
05-09-2003, 04:13 PM
OMG! what a little sweetie!:D well first off, before i start getting sad and mad, congrats on the adorible cute little new addition!:) Alex is beautiful.

aww.... poor baby. how sad it is that he (like you said) broke his leg, left his home, got surgery and than moved again. thats horrible. :( they wanted to EUTHANIZE him? :mad: agh... people. i just cant understand or even imagine how you could do that to a little bird, or any other animal for that matter. :( :(

but the good thing that comes out of it.... is alex gets a wonderful home with you! and hopefully you will have him as a loving companion for many years to come. :)

I wish you luck with everything, and again, congrats!:)

luckies4me
05-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks! :D

I went to the petshop after work and bought him some treats and some millet seed. :) I took him out as soon as I got home as he was making noise. He wanted to get out and flap his wings. He can't have too much exercise as his leg needs to heal, but since his cage is so small I had to let him out to exercise his wings. He didn't nip at me at all. ;) He's already a great birdy.

popcornbird
05-09-2003, 11:02 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! OMG! What a cutie pie! Poor thing! :( But he looks SO cute with that cast! :eek: What a sweetie! Thanks for rescuing this sweetie pie! Hopefully he/she will bring you years of love and joy. :) Hoping his leg heals well and he's back to the spunky and happy birdie he's supposed to be. :D

I can't believe they were going to put him to sleep! :mad::eek::mad: How can people be so evil?!?!? Such a sweet birdie! Good luck lucky and sweet birdie :)

Ps. How old is Alex?

luckies4me
05-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Ps. How old is Alex?

Well, he has the black on his beak still so we are estimating at around 4 months or so. :)

CathyBogart
05-10-2003, 12:43 AM
He's a beautiful birdie! I'm glad you're getting his leg all fixed up. Keep us updated!

luckies4me
05-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Urrgh I have this HUGE cage here and no birdy to put in it! I can't wait until his leg heals. He needs more room, and more toys etc. Isn't it fun to decorate and buy new toys for your pets cages? :D I absolutely love doing that!

Well the millet seed was a hit. He loves it. He woke us up this morning at 6:30 lol and wanted to come out of his cage to play. Of course Houdini would despise me forever if I didn't take him out. She gets that way. She encourages proper socilization lol. She'll give you the dirtiest look. She really cracks me up.

Well I will try and snap a few pics today of Alex again. After he/she is all better we are going to get Alex DNA tested, so that we can know what the sex is. :)