PDA

View Full Version : to get a female or male

a1lie
10-31-2000, 05:29 AM
hi...i currently have a male boxer at home n is planning to get a bullmastiff...but dunno whether it's better to get another male (would they fight) or to get a female....any suggestions?

Rottie
10-31-2000, 10:53 AM
I think it depends on how dominant your current dog is and how dominant the dog you plan on getting is.

I have a submissive female and a dominant male, they get along fine.

Sudilar
10-31-2000, 01:49 PM
I have a male and female GSD. They are both neutered. They get along fine.
Su

carrie
10-31-2000, 05:09 PM
Hi,
Rottie has really hit the nail on the head - it depends on how dominant each dog is. It also depends on how much time you are going to spend teaching and enforcing the rule that shows of dominance are not allowed. To do this you have to be able to pick up on very subtle behaviours. In very broad terms it is most likely for two entire males to fight, then two bitches and lastly one of each sex. This does not mean that all same gender pairs will have problems by any means, but if they are to be left for long periods on their own it is worth keeping in mind. I have had many, many dogs that when mixed with the right companion have kenneled and housed well with the same sex.

Actually that's not very helpful at all, is it? Sorry!

[This message has been edited by carrie (edited October 31, 2000).]

ktreva52
11-12-2000, 10:14 PM
Whew, you like 'em big, don't you? Are these show animals? If not, neutering will be some help, for either sex, but you will have to make sure you show as much attention to the "old" dog as you do the new. They are just as subject to "sibling rivalry" as humans.
You don't mention the Boxer's personality, but I would suggest that you introduce them in a neutral area like a park or some such so that the Boxer's territorial defensive feelings don't kick in. When I have introduced new additions to the "pack", I frequently use a wire crate to house the newer one in when the older one is out and then crate the older one at times to let the new one out to roam and play. It allows them to get the smell of each other and you to observe behavior so you can respond in a positive manner when the older dog acts nice around the newer dog. You will not want to respond too much to aggressive behavior from the older dog unless it endangers the younger. You want to reinforce the good behavior not the bad and negative reinforcement can be stronger than positive if you're not careful. They will have to determine their places in the "pack" for themselves.
My personal preference is female dogs for the most part as they, generally, are more even tempered, but not always. My two eldest females would sometimes get into it for pack dominance and we'd have to dump water on them to get them to stop. Just a caution.

ownerof3dogs
11-13-2000, 02:34 PM
I think everyone is right when they say it depends on how aggressive each dog is. But also when ever you have two dogs you should be careful when they are eating dinner and chewing their bones because threy might get possesive of the items.
Thats how my two males usally get into a fight. or if they start playing too ruff. We usally have a fight once every two months. they usally have a couple punchers each. but it doesn't bother them that much. they make up and become best friends again!

strawberry_puff13
11-19-2000, 12:46 PM
A female is definetly better, they're generally less agressive, wander less, more companionable to the owner, and if used as a watch dog, they're great. Females defend they home and owners, not territory like males will!
Lara