PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE!!!! (want your morning laugh???)

NoahsMommy
05-08-2003, 10:15 AM
First, here's a link to what's been going on in Gracie's life and my attempts to catch her: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25967

Last night I went and baited her trap again....lots of yucky sardines.... ;)

This morning I went and checked to see if I caught her and the trap was shut!!! Guess who was in there???? Gracie??? NO!! It was a small grey and white kitty that I've NEVER seen before!!

So, small gray and white (female, we think) kitty is getting spayed and vaccinated right now. I'll need to ask the vet when I pick her up how feral she is.

Can you believe it?????

In the mean time, I'm getting another trap and setting it up tonight with some more stinky herring or sardines. I have to catch her...

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Keep trying!! You are doing such a great thing for these cats! (Your enclosure and all the other stuff you have put together sure sounds like kitty heaven!)

I often catch the "wrong" cat in my trap - my record so for was FOUR - I caught the pregnant stray I was trying for on my fifth attempt!

moosmom
05-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Noahsmommy,

LOL! Keep up the good work! Don't be surprized if you catch a raccoon, possum or skunk. It CAN happen.

What are you going to do with the kitten? :D

NoahsMommy
05-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
What are you going to do with the kitten? :D
I don't think she's a kitten, she's just smaller than Gracie. I'm not sure WHAT to do with her after her 24 hours of resting are up...if she's really feral, I'll have to put her back where I got her, right?

kimlovescats
05-08-2003, 11:27 AM
WOW! That's wonderful what you are doing! If you do catch a possum or skunk though ... be very careful.... could be rabid! I'd have animal control come and pick it up! ;)

jenluckenbach
05-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Sorry Kelly, but you are now responsible for that grey and white cat. Your efforts are noble, but just because it was not the cat you were looking for is no excuse for inapropriate behavior. No cat should be released back into the "wild" without being spayed or neutered first. If she's completely feral she may be released in her familiar area... BUT ONLY AFTER being spayed/ neutered. If she is not feral it is not fair to put her back outside, she'll need to go to a place where they will find her a home.

I picked Lucas up off the street CERTAIN that his owner would come looking. What was I going to do when no one came?! put him back on the street? NOT AN ANIMAL IN MY CARE!!!!

Kater
05-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

So, small gray and white (female, we think) kitty is getting spayed and vaccinated right now. I'll need to ask the vet when I pick her up how feral she is.

Don't worry jenluckenbach, Kelly's got it covered!!! :D:D

zippy-kat
05-08-2003, 03:33 PM
:D Good luck Kelly!

RICHARD
05-08-2003, 03:48 PM
cat condom????????????????????

jenluckenbach
05-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Kater
Don't worry jenluckenbach, Kelly's got it covered!!! :D:D :o :o exteme embarrassment.........maybe I should learn to ACTUALLY read :o :o
can't wait for an update.

batgirl1980
05-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
:o :o exteme embarrassment.........maybe I should learn to ACTUALLY read :o :o
can't wait for an update.

LOL! It's just due too all that baby kitty overload at your house!! ;)

Good luck Kelly! You'll get gracie eventually.. LOL.. Maybe not until after you've gotten every other kitty in the neighborhood too!

NoahsMommy
05-08-2003, 07:56 PM
***UPDATE***

I'm home!!! :)

I just picked up gray/white tabby from the shelter vet. The vet's papers said she's a one-year-old little girl!

I brought her in and paid for her vaccinations and spay and was told to come back between 3 and 5 p.m. I arrived at about 4:15 and the only person in the clinic (or whatever you'd call that) was the animal control officer.

He asked who I was there to pick up and I said, "I'm not sure what she looks like, she's a feral in a trapping cage." He took me to her and lifted the cover so I could see her.

Want to see her too? Her are some pictures I took of her. She's in our garage in her trap for the night...that's what they told me to do. I plan on taking more pictures at 8:00 p.m. when I'm allowed to feed her...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p4910b4e5d4d91c57298c7e51d7c5a113/fc2fc4f4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p4609b118c1b616f2ab6e5a4b460ad4eb/fc2fc502.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p2240433ff14592a500b5efef81bac87f/fc2fc514.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p3c14dacf9b53e7463772cb7d94d21c41/fc2fc520.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pa6cf9b41703b93c8a2104e21a0327c97/fc2fc52d.jpg

Poor little thing. She's very scared. :( When I went in to take these pictures she got scared and tried to get as far away as she could from me. I sat down about four feet from her and talked really softly with her. She settled down a little and her eyes were beginning to close a bit. She isn't mean or violent at all. (yay!)

As you can see, she's a gray and white tabby. She has the white paws, chest and nose. She has a little bit of peach in her fur as well.

So....here's the question of the day....do I release her in 24 hours????

As far as Gracie goes, I set two traps for her before I got "little gray tabby girl" from the vet. I put lots of smelly herring in both traps....hopefully she'll go into one. :)

Soledad
05-08-2003, 08:30 PM
I don't think you should release her, who knows what awaits her out there. She looks so sweet. See if she'll warm up to you.

NoahsMommy
05-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
I don't think you should release her, who knows what awaits her out there. She looks so sweet. See if she'll warm up to you.
If she's feral, she may never warm up to me/us. If I keep this one...at least so I can take her to the Humane Society, what do I do about Gracie?

Gosh, we need a HOUSE!!!! :)

Soledad
05-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but what happens if you get rid of this one and never end up catching Gracie?

tikeyas_mom
05-08-2003, 09:29 PM
what if you DONT catch Gracie? did you ever thing of that? This cat looks like a nice cat. you should keep it for a couple of days let it warm up to you. try to play with her. name her. bring her to a NO kill shelter to find her a home that wants her, if you cant have her and you want to take your chance waiting to see if Gracie comes back.

NoahsMommy
05-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Soledad & Tikeyas_Mom:

Are you familiar with Trap-Neuter-Return? I know you both don't live in the U.S., so you may not understand what is being done.

Please see the link below for lots of information about TNR and feral cats. Usually, ferals that are over 8-10 weeks old cannot be tamed.
Alley Cat Allies (http://www.alleycat.org/resources.html)

Alley Cat Allies is who is helping me with the TNR with Gracie.

Gracie is different in that we think she's a stray, NOT a feral cat. That is why we would be able to keep her outside in our new covered cat enclosure. If you had been following the "Gracie Story" you would have known all about her...

And to answer your question...we will catch Gracie. I am her only food source and I'm sure she's getting pretty hungry right about now. I've done my research, I know what I'm doing.

Kater
05-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
Keep trying!! You are doing such a great thing for these cats! (Your enclosure and all the other stuff you have put together sure sounds like kitty heaven!)

I SECOND THESE SENTIMENTS! :) :)

Can't wait to see pics of "kitty heaven"! :D :D

And to answer your question...we will catch Gracie. I am her only food source and I'm sure she's getting pretty hungry right about now. I've done my research, I know what I'm doing.

I know you will! :) I'm glad to see that you've regained confidence. :D The TNR program is a wonderful concept and the best solution for humanely managing feral cat colonies.

Soledad
05-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Geez...I didn't mean any offense! I was only posing a question. I was not judging you or anything.

No, I do not live in the states RIGHT NOW, but I don't know what that has to do with my knowledge of feral cats. However, I had not been following the Gracie story. :(

NoahsMommy
05-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Geez...I didn't mean any offense! I was only posing a question. I was not judging you or anything.

No, I do not live in the states RIGHT NOW, but I don't know what that has to do with my knowledge of feral cats. However, I had not been following the Gracie story. :(
No offense taken. I was trying to educate...

You had questions, I wanted to provide you with accurate answers...no big deal.

tikeyas_mom
05-08-2003, 10:08 PM
I have been following Gracies story as well, I ment no offence, just asking a WHAT IF?... and it still stands, what if you dont catch her, what if she found a new home? I live in Canada and I quite understand the catch fix and release they do it here to, but I think this kitty might be a nice cat to have, IF it can be tammed.

Karen
05-08-2003, 10:09 PM

No, I do not live in the states RIGHT NOW, but I don't know what that has to do with my knowledge of feral cats.

I think she just wasn't sure if you'd be familiar with the TNR programs (not the ferals themselves), or if they have them in New Zealand, that's all! TNR (Trap/Neuter/Return - usually done to adult ferals so they can remain free and in their accustomed "territory," but not contribute more to the feral population. Often an ear is notched while they're under, so folks will know "this one's fixed!")

Soledad
05-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Just to clarify, I am an American. I've only been gone for 2.5 years.

FYI - Feral cats here (NZ) meet another fate. They are regarded as pests since they kill off the native bird and plant life, so they are trapped, killed or poisoned. There is not catch and release programme here because ferals pose an extreme biosecurity threat.

But I was aware of the TNR programs. What I was not aware of was that Gracie was a stray. I assumed she was a feral just like this one, which is why I didn't understand why she was choosing between the two.

batgirl1980
05-08-2003, 10:15 PM
oooh shes pretty Kelly!!!

I don't know what to tell you about releasing her. Maybe jen will have good advice, or someone else with experience in this. I'd be afraid of her getting hurt. But since she is spayed, that will help as well. I know you'll do what's best for her!

And I KNOW you'll catch your gracie girl! You're doing a great thing! Keep it up!

tikeyas_mom
05-08-2003, 11:06 PM
There is not catch and release programme here because ferals pose an extreme biosecurity threat.

some places in Austrailia that is common to.

moosmom
05-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Kelly,

You are doing the right thing. There are many feral cats out there who live happy lives in the colonies after being spayed/neutered. I truly believe in the TNR program. There are WAY too many feral cats that can never be placed because they just don't trust humans and never will. It's a fact of life. And the alternative (euthanization) to me, is not an option.

I maintained a feral colony along with other volunteers, going around everyday to make sure they had food, water and shelter. I also worked with 3 feral kittens I trapped in CT. Two of them I found homes for, once I had them fixed. The third one, Grumpy Dave (named after my father) never came around. I was very discouraged because I wanted so badly to find him a good, loving, indoor only home. But it was not meant to be. He is now living a grand life on a farm in upstate Connecticut with other feral cats. I did what was best for him, as I am sure you will do what is best for the grey and white cat. She just may be too feral to socialize. It happens. Please don't let it get you down. Just keep in mind that if you DO bring her to the humane society, they WILL euthanize her because she is not placeable. At least if you release her (I'd wait at least 48 hours after surgery) she will be able to live.

Hang in there, girl! I applaud your efforts 100%.

Soledad,

Feral cats are regarded as pests since they kill off the native bird and plant life, so they are trapped, killed or poisoned.

The only people that regard feral cats as pests are STUPID ones!! Cats don't ask to be feral. They are tossed out like trash by people (I won't say humans as anyone who abandons a cat or kitten in that way aren't human) and expected to fend for themselves.

shais_mom
05-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Well, Kelly
I think you KNOW what you are doing, and I don't doubt your knowledge. You know a heck of alot more than I do!
Kudos to you that you got the grey girl spayed. And I know you will catch Gracie also!
Keep up the faith regardless!!

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 01:01 AM
Thanks guys!! :) You're support really means a lot. :)

Uabassoon
05-09-2003, 02:28 AM
You are doing a great job! Is it possible to keep the grey cat in a garage for a day or so to see if she is feral or not? Sometimes it's hard to tell if a cat is just scared or feral. But even if she is feral at least she is spayed now thanks to your help.

PayItForward
05-09-2003, 04:35 AM
So if new kitty is feral, you'll release her back into her home area.

But if kitty is a stray, could you home two cats in your super cage on the balcony (i.e. When you catch up with Gracie) Or will this one go to a nice no kill shelter to be rehomed ?

I just have visions of these cats, being inside cats no 6 & 7 !!

Best of luck with both cats. May you catch Gracie soon and you did a great thing paying for new cats altering etc.

jenluckenbach
05-09-2003, 04:53 AM
I do not know what the feelings are within the TNR programs, is it better to release the cats right away or is it acceptable to release at a later time?

The answer to this would affect my answer to releasing grey in 24 hours. If the grey girl could still adjust to being released AFTER (let's just say) a week, then I would hold on to her to see if there are any signs of starting to calm down......BUT.......if getting them back to her own habitat quickly is important (for reasons I am not sure of because the subject never came up with me) THEN I'd release her quickly.

Please tell me that made sense to someone other than me.:rolleyes:

catmandu
05-09-2003, 09:39 AM
I know that it is not my responsibility , but I always keep the Strays and give thgem a home , where i know that they will be safe and warm. then again that is why there are 14 Cats living here. I could never release them , as I live in a semi industrial area where thier chances arent so good!

Uabassoon
05-09-2003, 09:43 AM
I think if the cat is feral it's better to release it soon. Once the cat is a few months old it won't tame down. And if the cat is feral it will just get stressed out by being held captive. I think TNR are great, because feral cats are not pets. If caught as kittens that's different, Tibby was a feral but she was socialized at a young age. I've known a few people that have kept older ferals as pets and they hide for their entire lives. Now I know that for some cats it's normal to hide, but the people I know with ferals have claimed that they have never even seen it since they brought it home. The feral will only eat when they are not home, then the rest of the time it hides in fear. That's not a good life for a cat, while I don't agree that cats should be outdoors it's a little different with ferals.

I always keep the Strays and give thgem a home

The thing to keep in mind is that a stray is different from a feral. Strays are friendly, sometimes a little nervous or scared at first, but friendly. Ferals have never been handled by humans, they are not cats that have been abandoned by an owner.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-09-2003, 01:21 PM
I am involved with the TNR program at our shelter.

Can someone clarify the following for me:

When is a cat considered "feral" and when is it a stray?

Is a stray a pet that has been lost or abandoned?

The bunch of cats I am currently feeding outside my house were born outside, and have always lived outside, relying on dustbins (and my front porch!!!) for their food. Are they "stray" because they are offspring of lost or abandoned domestic cats, or are they feral because they have always lived in the "wild":confused:

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 01:36 PM
I found this writen by K & L: :) :) :)

A feral cat is silent, will not approach humans, and generally will be seen only from dusk to dawn, unless extraordinarily hungry and foraging for food. A feral cat has adapted to conditions and is likely to appear well groomed. If you put food down for a feral cat, he will wait until you move away from the area before approaching the food.

A stray cat is likely to approach you, although usually not close enough for you to touch him. If you put food down, a stray cat will likely start to eat it right away. A stray cat is often vocal, sometimes talking insistently, and may look disheveled, as if unused to dealing with conditions on the street. A stray cat may be seen at all hours of the day.

K & L
05-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I do not know what the feelings are within the TNR programs, is it better to release the cats right away or is it acceptable to release at a later time?

The answer to this would affect my answer to releasing grey in 24 hours. If the grey girl could still adjust to being released AFTER (let's just say) a week, then I would hold on to her to see if there are any signs of starting to calm down......BUT.......if getting them back to her own habitat quickly is important (for reasons I am not sure of because the subject never came up with me) THEN I'd release her quickly.

Please tell me that made sense to someone other than me.:rolleyes:

Our TNR programs release back where trapped only if the cat is feral and only if someone is going to feed and provide water in the area. If you try and tame, then you need to have a home ready for placement. If the cat doesn't tame and you've kept it in your area, then it may remain there after release. Always make sure you provide food & water wherever you release.

Here's our 10 commandments of trapping:

The Ten Commandments of Trapping Feral Cats

1. Always have a plan in place before trapping. Do you have surgery appointments set for the following day? Who is funding the surgery? If a rescue organization is funding, has the veterinary clinic received proper authorization from the rescue organization? What will you do with any kittens trapped that are too small for surgery?
2. Never release a cat until you know with absolute certainty that the cat is spayed or neutered. If you are uncertain that the cat is spayed or neutered, take the cat to the vet even if it is not a cat you were trying to catch. If you catch a kitten too small for surgery, find a place to foster the kitten until it can have its surgery.
3. Use only traps or feral carriers for catching, containing, and transporting feral cats. Never put a feral cat in a tame cat carrier (plastic, cardboard, etc.) Never deliver a feral cat to a veterinary clinic unless it is in a trap or feral carrier (no plastic carriers or wire cages). Veterinary clinics may reject feral cats in tame containers.
4. Traps containing cats must be covered at all times. Trapped cats are scared to death. Being covered offers them a bit of security. If a cat pulls the trap cover into the trap, put another cover over the trap.
5. Make sure traps are out of dangerous elements like sun and rain so kitties won’t roast or freeze.
6. Always check to make sure the back door of the trap is securely latched.
7. Never leave a trap unsupervised in an unsecured area. Traps can be stolen and trapped cats can be released or worse. Any unsupervised trapping must be done in a secured area like a fenced back yard.
8. If you leave a trap unsupervised (in a secured area only!) cover it in case it catches a kitty. Tuck the trap cover edges under the trap so the cover won’t blow away.
9. Use wet stinky bait such as tuna or mackerel. Bonita fish flakes (available at Oriental food stores) sprinkled on top of the bait are very enticing to kitties.
10. During bug season, sprinkle a cat-safe bug deterrent on the ground under and around the bait area of the trap so kitty won’t be consumed by ants. The most effective safe powder is Ortho Bug Be Gone Multi-Purpose Garden Dust. Sevin Dust 5% can also be used. Diatomaceous earth (food-grade, please – available from some natural food stores and environmentally conscious pet-care supply companies) can also be used, but there are conflicting reports about its effectiveness.

wolflady
05-09-2003, 03:57 PM
What a cute girl she is!! Awwww....poor thing. She does look scared. You are such a sweetheart to be looking after these cats and doing all you can for their welfare. This little girl just stumbled into this situation on accident, and she is very lucky. Hopefully Gracie will come around too!:)

I have worked with the TNR program, and K&L is absolutely right. I was helping out a local no-kill cat rescue called Town Cats, here in my local area. They are highly involved in the maintenance of the feral populations. We have feeding stations at each colony location. I was in charge of 2 such colonies. I would put food and fresh water at the station every morning, and if I saw a new cat, I documented it and then we'd set up a trap. If the cat was young enough to be tamed, Town Cats would keep the cat. However, most of them are not tameable, so they would be fixed then released. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just fix them and release them back to their familiar territory, or outside your home as long as there is food and water available.

As far as releasing after surgery, our vet said to wait at least 24 - 48 hours, so running the risk of infection wouldn't be as great for the ferals.

Kelly, you are such a sweetheart! Good luck with both girls! Maybe if you go out each day and spend some time with this little grey girl, you may be able to gain her trust. We'll talk about this more later! :D
Love you!
:)
Karen

Russian Blue
05-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Kelly, it's wonderful what you are doing and that cage that you built is great!

I'm sure Gracie will eventually make it into the cage. As someone else mentioned, you may catch all the stray and ferals in the process. How much money do you have??? ;) It may end up being an expensive process!

One cat always leads to another.........

I'm currently doing background research for a stray pet advocacy website. We are trying to create a website that is a one stop shop for worldwide resources on TNR, feral information, shelters, legislative issues etc.

So if you need any more resources PM me!

;)

moosmom
05-09-2003, 05:41 PM
Uabassoon,

Ferals have never been handled by humans, they are not cats that have been abandoned by an owner

Not so! Feral cats can be totally wild (born to feral mothers), or they can be cats that have been dumped by their owners, forced to fend for themselves.

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 08:06 PM
I set two traps last night with herring. When I went to check them out at 6:30 this morning, one trap was closed, but no kitty, food un-touched. The other trap was un-touched.

We drove back over there at about 2:00 to check and both traps had not been touched. :(

As far as little white/gray kitty goes. I wonder what she is. When I called the vet at the shelter I was very rudely talked to....the woman was a real witch. I wont go into that THAT story. I had called to speak with the vet to determine if little kitty is a stray or feral.

I'm having second thoughts about her being totally feral. She is scared in her trap, and runs to the other side when I feed her. But, when I talk to her, she gets calm and just lays down.

David and I decided to let her use Gracie's apartment until we can catch her. We want to see if she's able to calm down and be adoptable.

While I was out there in the enclosure feeding her in her trap, she started meowing at Noel, it was really cute. :)

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 08:23 PM
The vet DID NOT tip her ear.....interesting, huh?

The woman I've been working with said the vet would do it, like he does to all ferals.

Isn't that strange??

Kater
05-09-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm so confused about why the traps are getting tripped without catching anything!
I've never heard of that!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cinder & Smoke
05-09-2003, 08:52 PM
The vet DID NOT tip her ear...
interesting, huh?

Quite possibly YOU impressed the Vet that Lil Grey was destined for a *home* :)
rather than be released in the wild as a feral.

The Vet might feel that permanently marking Lil Grey as a feral, with the tipped ear, might not be the "right" thing to do. If she does become someone's (read *your*) PET, she shouldn't be marked as a feral. If she ever gets lost in the future, folks seeing the feral/tipped ear might not attempt to catch and return her to her home/condo.

Hope Gracie doesn't mind sharing the new condo! :p

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Uh oh....my hubby wants to name her.....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p2121341f69bdd58b18838ed93a7b2212/fc2e5358.jpg

Any suggestions? He likes cutesy names....he wants to name her "Boots". :)

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Kater
I'm so confused about why the traps are getting tripped without catching anything!
I've never heard of that!! :confused: :confused: :confused:
I haven't either. When it happened the first time, I was really worried she'd never go in. I called Carol (the woman suppling me the cages) and she said not to worry, anything could have closed it.

Wierd, huh?

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Quite possibly YOU impressed the Vet that Lil Grey was destined for a *home* :)
rather than be released in the wild as a feral.

The Vet might feel that permanently marking Lil Grey as a feral, with the tipped ear, might not be the "right" thing to do. If she does become someone's (read *your*) PET, she shouldn't be marked as a feral. If she ever gets lost in the future, folks seeing the feral/tipped ear might not attempt to catch and return her to her home/condo.

Hope Gracie doesn't mind sharing the new condo! :p

I actually didn't talk to the vet. The only thing I said to anyone there was that she was a feral I wanted spayed and vaccinated. I DID say that if she was already pregnant NOT to spay her, that I would take her home and find home for the possible kittens.

Hmmm.....

Hope she likes her new enclosure!! ;)

Cinder & Smoke
05-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Uh oh....
my hubby wants to name her...

...he wants to name her "Boots". :)

And you wonderd "why" the Vet dint *tip* her ear!!!? :rolleyes:

Boots sez "Anudder Boots!?? :eek:

"Socks" ?
"Tippy" ? (as in Tippy-Toes) :p

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Cute names!! :) I told David that name was already taken! ;)

This is what she's doing right now, please excuse the dirty windows....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p0f338dcdfdf0330fd714fa4a1f29ea82/fc2e4a42.jpg

Cinder & Smoke
05-09-2003, 09:41 PM
This is what she's doing right now...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p0f338dcdfdf0330fd714fa4a1f29ea82/fc2e4a42.jpg

Contemplating a *break-IN*! :D

batgirl1980
05-09-2003, 09:45 PM
awwwwwww look at that face! no wonder david wants to name her! ;) She's so pretty Kelly!

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 10:44 PM
OK...her new name is Maggie. :)

Cinder & Smoke
05-09-2003, 11:00 PM
SmokeMutt sez...

Wow! Wuz dat *FAST*! :cool:

Took me a lil longur that Wun Day to get dopted :p

...Anna LOT longur ta get a Name!

Happie New Home :), Miz Maggie!!
Yur gonna like it here!

:D

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 11:49 PM
Well....according to hubby, we can't "KEEP" Maggie. Our mission is to get her "people friendly" and then find her a home.

We'll see. ;)

Soledad
05-10-2003, 12:59 AM
The only people that regard feral cats as pests are STUPID ones!!

Not really. If NZ let feral cats go, there would be MAJOR ecological and financial problems. Species would die out, species that only exist in NZ.

The cats didn't ask to be feral, but that doesn't mean they should be left to it. NZ can't take it.

krazyaboutkatz
05-10-2003, 01:52 AM
Kelly, I'm just now reading this thread and I think that you're doing a wonderful job. :) I sure hope that Maggie can become used to people so she can be rehomed and that you're able to catch Gracie too. :) My new cat Cirrus is what I'd call semi-feral in that he was born to feral cats but became used to people as a young kitten. He and his brother were adopted by a woman who became so allergic that she wasn't able to pick them up or touch them. He and his brother were then returned at the age of about 5 months or so. A lady was working with him everyday and he became used to her and would let her pet him.

I adopted him when he was 8 months old and as of tomorrow I've had him for 2 months. He loves me to pet him and scratch his back and to be brushed too. He and Sunny are best friends too. His brother was also adopted and is doing very well. This just goes to show you that some cats can become more domesticated and learn to trust people. :)

jenluckenbach
05-10-2003, 06:02 AM
If she is laying out in the middle of her room (vs. hiding in or under something) I believe she has a VERY good chance of becoming not only tame, but loving!

kimlovescats
05-10-2003, 09:23 AM
My thoughts exactly, Jen! Maggie is destined for a loving home... thanks to you and hubby!!!:D

NoahsMommy
05-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Update - Saturday

1 cage closed, empty
1 cage closed, bunny

:D :D :D

Kater
05-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Bunny????????

WEEEEIRD :confused:

and I thought bunnies were vegetarian! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
05-11-2003, 01:57 AM
I guess Gracie is too smart to be caught in a cage.

NoahsMommy
05-11-2003, 02:25 AM
We saw Gracie when we went to check the traps. She almost ran right out in front of out car and was running for cover. Poor girl. She is obviously too smart for our traps right now...and I think I know why.

The gaurd approached us and told us that he's seen Gracie before, but also a blackish cat as well. I'm wondering if she's missing cat #3, which would be Maggie and is being careful?

We're going to lay off the trapping for a few more weeks. I"m just going to get up early and fill her bowls in the morning before work and try again later.

Kate, the bun didn't eat the fish....but I thought the same thing too!! I wonder why it even went in there?? Silly bunners. :)

jenluckenbach
05-11-2003, 05:17 AM
A BUN-BUN? better than a skunk !:eek:

K & L
05-11-2003, 08:59 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p234e6341a866bc766de2cd2f7d8281c1/fc2c1930.jpg

If you've tried everything with a regular trap, feeding for about a week without setting the trip mechanism, tying a chicken leg to the back top of the trap, leaving the trap out so she gets use to seeing it, etc. then here's what we've done. My husband built a drop trap and we caught many of our hard - to - catch cats this way. Our last mom cat we had been trying for over a year. Every time she would see us drive in the park with a trap, she was gone. We finally put the drop trap in the park, braced it up so it wouldn't fall, and left it there for a couple weeks always putting food under it and forcing the cats to have to feed there. Of course this is in an area where the public is not allowed so we could do it this way. Then after 2 weeks of doing this, we set the stick with a string, sat in our car where she couldn't see us, waited till she went in to eat, and pulled the string! We had her! Sometimes trapping takes numerous times, it also takes a lot of patience. Just keep trying and eventually you will get her. Don't give up. You need to get her use to seeing the traps and seeing she can eat out of them without any danger to her. If you have any questions you can always PM me!

moosmom
05-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Kelly,

How's Maggie doing? Is she warming up yet?

I think you're wise to give trapping Gracie a break. Cats forget after a while so maybe it's best to wait a couple of weeks. It gives you guys a break too.

Call me if you want to talk!