PDA

View Full Version : Taking care of a cat !

kath00
05-07-2003, 06:42 PM
I'm 15 years old and I've already owned 2 rabbits and a bird. :)

Am I able to take care of a cat ? :rolleyes:

I heard that a cat, when compared with dog, is very easy to take care of.

Soledad
05-07-2003, 07:09 PM
I had dogs before Boo, and I was expecting cat owning to be a cinch. It was definitely more work than I expected, but much less care than a dog. But, Boo is very needy.;)

jenluckenbach
05-07-2003, 07:12 PM
I voted easy, but it will depend on the particular cat. I say easy because while there is feeding, cleaning the litter boxes and time for interaction, you need not walk it, and it will be OK when left alone during the day. There will be some grooming requirement so short-hair would be easier. But many dogs would require a lot more attention in this manner. But some cats are more needy than others and also some are less healthy than others. These types may not fall in the easy catagory. And of course, it depends on your idea of easy.

krazyaboutkatz
05-07-2003, 11:31 PM
I agree that taking care of a cat is much easier than taking care of a dog. If you are a mature 15 year old then you shouldn't have any problem. Although most people consider cats to be very independent animals, they still require daily interaction with people such as petting, playing, talking to them, and holding or cuddling them. Some cats may require more of this than others and some will only let you do this on their terms. I voted that it's quite important to take care of them. They need fresh food and plenty of fresh water everyday and clean litterboxes too.

kath00
05-08-2003, 06:27 AM
Thanks for helping me in my reflexion :rolleyes:

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-08-2003, 06:36 AM
One thing to bear in mind - with ANY animal - is that you need to make quality time available to interact and play with them, especially if you are away at work or school for a large part of the day.

What I will say is that Ally is my first cat (In South Africa I always had two dogs), and I have been suprised and very touched by how much cats give back - they are loyal and loving, sensitive to your feelings, a great comfort when you are sick or upset - they really fill a space in your heart!

julijul
05-08-2003, 02:00 PM
The decision to own and animal - any animal - is a very important one, and many factors must be considered. Yes, time wise, I find taking care of cats is pretty easy. I quite like having my 2 cats to take care of - but, it is NOT just feeding (my two HAVE to be fed a special diet twice a day) and scooping a litter box; it's also cleaning up after them when they make messes (like missing the litter box, having accidents, vomiting, ect.). The other thing to consider is can you AFFORD to take care of a cat - pay for vet bills, good quality food, toys, ect.? And the final thing to consider, are you prepared to commit to a cat for THE CAT'S lifetime? Which can be 12-20 years!!!! Many people think pets are disposable, they like having them around as long as it's convenient for them - but as sooon as it stops being convenient, off to the pound it goes!

These are things I had to consider when I decided to have a pet in my life. I've had Jonah and Finn just over a year now (I got them just before my 24th birthday), they are my first *official* pets as I entered adulthood. But I had to think about their future as well as my own - which means that wherever I go, they will come with!! It's harder to find housing which accomodates pets, I had to take this into consideration. I also had to think about that someday (I hope!!!) when I *do* get married and maybe have children, my cats will STILL be a part of my life!! God willing, my babies will still be in my life when I'm in my late 30's early 40's!! This is something one must think about and be prepared for when deciding to add an animal in their life.

Sure, feeding and scooping are easy - but it's a commitment you need to be prepared to make for the long term!!!