PDA

View Full Version : Need Retriever Help!

GoldenRetrLuver
05-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Today, while i was on the computer, i heard this shrill scream! I ran outside to check what it was, and Daisy was carring a bird in her mouth! The poor bird was screaming and finnaly, after me chasing after her, she dropped the bird! The bird looked okay, but its still in my backyard, and wont fly away, im worried Daisy might have hurt it.....it may have just been her retriever instinct, but im not sure....has this ever happened to anyone? or is there any advice?

THANX!:)

wolfsoul
05-07-2003, 09:23 PM
I think it's just a dog being a dog ;)

I wouldn't quite call it retriever instinct. They weren't bred to hunt the game, only retrieve it, and she sounded pretty reluctant to give up her treasure! ;)

Timber loves to chase birds, but she's never caught one so far! She doesn't have the patience...just goes all gun-hoe and chases after it like crazy. She also barks at them when they fly above her :rolleyes:

Leather doesn't even bother lol. She's just like, whatever :p

GoldenRetrLuver
05-07-2003, 09:28 PM
LOL, okie thanx for your input!:)

Karen
05-07-2003, 09:50 PM
There's probably not much you can do about her instinct to hunt, just hope slow-moving birds learn to stay away from your yard! Is the bird gone now?

kingrattus
05-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Max has caught a bird before. It was a brown sparrow (I think thats what there called, nickname chickadie, sp)... He trotted a round for a bit with it, spit it on the ground, put him paw on it, licked it a few times & then stepped back & let it fly away. I have never seen max harm any birds, but he has learned which birds to chase away from the old lady's feeder. He'll chase the huge crows, pidegons (sp), & black birds. He'll also chase cats away from the feeders. Max has always loved to watch birds, he'll lay on the deck about 15 feet from the feeder & watch the birds eat, chirp, fight & hop around.

GoldenRetrLuver
05-07-2003, 10:06 PM
I checked and the bird appears to be gone! But, who knows...it could be hidding! I hope its ok....Thanx for all your help! :)

Albea
05-08-2003, 07:08 AM
None of my Goldens ever got a bird, but Natasha, my first one, cornered one against the fence without touching it. The poor bird was paralized with fear, never hurt. This is the same dog that caught a field mouse in the backyard and deposited at my feet, like a great present.:rolleyes:

Logan
05-08-2003, 07:31 AM
I have certainly had this happen with my Golden Retriever, Honey, many times. Unfortunately, the birds weren't so lucky because she mouthed them to death. :( One thing I did when I realized that she had this ability, was to remove anything from my backyard that might encourage the birds to hang out there, including the feeder and the bird bath. As much as I enjoyed sitting on my patio and watching the birds, I was setting them up by doing it. Don't know if you have any of that in your yard, but if you do, you might want to move it out.

Logan (Retriever Lover)

GoldenRetrLuver
05-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Ok, thats an idea. Thanx for all your help!:)