PDA

View Full Version : Fire!!

primabella
05-07-2003, 05:10 PM
I was comming home from the dentist with my mom and bor when we smelled this really bad smoke. There was a cloud of it covering the street where we live. My mom freaked and kept saying, "What the hell is going on?" we turned the corner and in front of my house was a red truck. I was like "Mommy..." thinking the fire was at my house. My sister was outside on the leash with Mickey looking so worried. The fire was on the house across the street from us. There were about 6 at least, fire trucks and police just roped off the area. It was so scary. people were videotaping the whole thing and there were crowds of them all gathered around. I don't know what hapepned but I know they were cooking when something exploded. They own a huge black dog and them and the family were all outside--so I'm guessing they're all safe. It was so scary. There are still people outside and we all stink of that toxic smoke. Just thought I'de share what's going on...

moosmom
05-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Primabella,

That was pretty scary not knowing if it was YOUR house that had the fire.

When I was 20, we had a fire in our house. My 80 year old grandfather cleaned out our fireplace after a week long ice storm with no power or electricity. He didn't realize that the embers were still warm and threw them in a garbage can lined with a polyeurathane bag. It exploded in his face after he put the lid on it. He died 3 days later of 3rd degree burns over 80% of his body.

I STILL have dreams about my Dad and I driving up to our street and seeing hoses laid all over the place and our house gutted. They were carrying our Airedale out on a stretcher. The smell is something you never ever forget.

I'm glad it wasn't your house and that everyone is okay.

primabella
05-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Oh wow. I never knew about that. That is so terrible and I'm so sorry about the whole thing. :(:( What a tragic ending.

I remember when my sister and I were really small we were dancing around the kitchen being pains and my mom was trying to carry a bowl of HOT soup to the table. My sister banged into her and the soup spilled all over her arm. She got 2nd degree burns and a large scar. I know its not the same thing but nontheless very scary. My sister is now terrified of fire.

Tweety_Pie
05-07-2003, 07:59 PM
4 years ago my neighbours 5 year old son lit his moms bed on fire. They had 10 wonderful birds (a macaw, a cockatoo, 4 budgies, and 2 finchs, and 2 cockatiels, they all made it out. They had a 6 week old puppy, he was a sheltie, he was upstairs in the mothers room UNDER THE BED! He made it out with 3 degree burns all over him, They also had 9 cats, 2 older ones and 4 kittens. They all made it out. The poor puppy died the day after the fire. He was so burned. It just broke my heart.:( The good news is, all those animals have new homes. But it hurts to think about that day. It makes my stomach turn. :(

kingrattus
05-07-2003, 11:33 PM
I'm sorry about ur grandfather. & the poor puppy :(
& I'm glade everyone & thing got out ok in the other fires mentioned.

I was about 3ish maybe 4. My dad desided to light the wood stove for the first time that year. Well I was attracted to the fire so I sat at the end of the couch watching it. I noticed that the pipe was turning red & I called for dad to look. I didn't really know something was wrong, I just thought it was different & wanted daddy to see. Well thats all I remember of being inside.

I remember being at the old ladys house across the street for a while. & my dad wouldn't let me look outside.

Then I remember being in a car with my grandma for a really long time & then I refused to get out of the car, when we reached a cottege. Then my uncle came to the car & got me out with a large basket blueberries. Then I went fishing on a big boat with people I didn't know. I was the only person who caught fish. & we did other stuff, but I'm not gonna make the story any longer.

This is what my dad told me when I was older:

wood stove caught on fire only. The smoke & the water is what did damage to the house. the wall had to be redone. my grandmother was called because I was freaking out that the house was on fire (I understood too much for my age). My grandmother lives 6 hours away from our place & then drove me another 8 hours to my great uncles cottege to get my mind off the fire. & it worked, I forgot all about the fire, & stayed with my grandma for a week until the house looked like new, except for the wet rugs.. heheh

kingrattus
05-07-2003, 11:41 PM
oh I just remembered about the old people I saved from their burning house.

I was walking a shelter dog & I saw some fire comming out of the chimminy. I looked at it for a min or two & then it dawned on me that I was the only person who knew about it & that the old couple were home! I dragged the dog to the door & started to pound on the door violently until I got an answer, the old man was a bout to yell at me, when I yelled "ur house is on fire!!!"

& pointed to his chimminy, he ran into the basement & killed the fire. the fire died real fast & stayed dead. he said thanks & I walked back to the shelter (the house was beside the shelter about 100-200 feet apart) I told the manager the story & decided to put the dog back & take another dog since I had dragged him & more then likely scared him & hurt him as well, but he wasn't my main concern at the time.

Damn I still feel good about it, & its been about 1yr & 5 months since it happened.. it happened the week before xmas.

lovemyshiba
05-08-2003, 08:09 AM
Wow--how scary!!
I would be so frightened if I was driving up the street and saw fire trucks in front of my house. I'm glad everyone is ok, and so sorry to hear of everyone else's stories.

Randi
05-08-2003, 09:23 AM
I'm so sorry about your grandfathter Donna - and the puppy! :( I know what it's like to suffer from burns. My clothes caught fire in my early 20ties and I spent 5 weeks in hospital. I got away with a skin transplant on my arm, but what a shock it was! I took me 3 months to get back to normal.

So be warned! Don't wear clothes which easily burn! Be prepared with fireblankets, fire exstinguisers and latters in case it happens!! And not least important, have a non burnable rucksack or something ready to put your pet into, if you need to get out in a hurry!!

Like this!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/pdf5166515fa22fe1b7d2314b856f8b18/fc60e292.jpg

I've recently asked advice from "our" firefighter, Phred" on this subject and got an excellent "lecture". I'm sure he'll be willing to post any further info on what to do in an emergency situation. :)

A few years ago, we woke up at 5 o'clock in the morning and saw this. :eek:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p1618f41d0a8c36a78f0e670561286b8b/fc3080b1.jpg

It's a 4 story building with lots of flats. About 35 flats had to be evacuated. Everyone got out in time! :)

moosmom
05-08-2003, 11:05 AM
To this day I'm still afraid of fire. I was a volunteer firefighter in Connecticut and somehow putting out a fire DIDN'T scare me. Go figure.

Cinder & Smoke
05-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Fire SAFETY and Survival has 3 main components...

PREVENTION is done before the fire starts -
Inspect you home for fire hazards and eliminate them!

EARLY Warning means WORKING Smoke Detectors or Alarms.
TEST them once a month and replace batteries yearly.

**PLAN** to Escape means you have to develop a *PLAN* that works for you, your home or apartment, and the occupants (adults, SkinKids, and FurKids).

*WE* live in a single story ranch house - 3-4 feet to solid ground from most every window. One half of a window in every room has no screen on it...
I can Hear a Smoke Detector, CLOSE the room door, open that window, grab the FurKids, and do a quick toss to safety. I you live higher up, YOU have to develop a different escape plan.

Please consider calling your local Fire Department and ask them to come to your home or apartment to do a Fire Safety Check, AND to discuss HOW you can safely escape IF a fire breaks out.

YOU need to develop a *PLAN* - and
*PRACTICE* it before an emergency strikes.

Here's a Family Escape Plan that was just developed...

Randi, John, and Fister live on the second floor - (LONG way to *jump*!) I suggested that Randi get a RuckSack so that Fister can be carried (safely) to safety while letting the Hoomin use both hands to either crawl or open doors...

Originally posted by Randi
Be PREpared with SMOKE ALARMS, fireblankets, fire exstinguisers and ladders in case it happens!!
And not least important, have a non burnable rucksack, book bag, or something ready to put your pet into, if you need to get out in a hurry!!

Like this! Fister in his Escape Pod!
Just BEFORE he gets *Zipped* in for security!
FIRE Drill! Let's get OUTTA here!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/pdf5166515fa22fe1b7d2314b856f8b18/fc60e292.jpg

Many folks ask about using TotFinder and PetFinder decals on their homes...
They can be great - *IF* the Tot or Pet is REALLY *IN* the endangered building... But how often is the Tot/Pet inside?? Or is Fido and the SkinKid visiting at GranMaws house the night the home with the RescueMe sign catches fire???

Here's a link to a VERY well written article that tries to explain why FireFighters have learned to not put a lot of faith in those signs... Window Decals - the FireFighter view... (http://santamonicafire.org/firesafety/childsafe.htm)

I wish someone would invent a mini-smoke alarm that Fido and Kitty could wear on their collar - with a unique sound different from a regular smoke alarm and our Own FireFighter-down alarms that WE wear... Then we'd KNOW there was a pet in distress and could use the sound to *find* him or her!
Maybe some day... ;)

Bottom line ~ Ya Gotta Have a **PLAN**!

/s/ Phred

primabella
05-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Thanks Phred! :) I know my alarm works--sometimes it gets set off when my mom cooks :rolleyes: But we check the batteries annually.

I am so sorry about that puppy. Poor baby :( And all these stories are just scary. Kingrattus, you should be proud for what you did. (It seems you ae anyways! :)) Good job :cool:

I just remembered about this--we were all over at my aunt and uncles' house when the doorbell rang. This old man was there and told them that their grabage can was on fire. The winds were strong and the fire was spreading. Ashes flew into the house. It was scary :eek: My uncle grabbed the hose and just put it out as quick as he could. There are still burn marks on the carpet on their stairs. Thank God that man warned them or else who knows where it could have spread.

Fire is so scary. I remmeber we had to do a lab in science and my friend had to light this match. She got so scared it was gonna catch on fire, she flicked it and then shot it across the room in panic. Luckily, she didn't succeed in making a flame :rolleyes:

Andie
05-08-2003, 03:20 PM
I've had fires on either side of my house.

The first one was probably a couple years ago. I just remember laying on the couch watching TV and listening to Katie bark for about 10 minutes before getting my lazy butt up to bring her in. She was running along the fence barking at something, in hindsight I guess I should have went to look over the fence, after alot of calling I got her to come to me and got her inside. She was still antsy though and was pacing the front room. About 5 mins later I seen a police car pull in the driveway thru the window. When I want to the door the cop yelled that the house next door was on fire and I rushed to find Dad. I still remember looking thru the back door and seeing the flames and feeling the heat. I still believe that it was set on purpose because of the way Katie was acting and the fact that the fire started at a window closest to our fence and the gate of the fence on the other side of ours. I'm no expert but the house was engulfed in 15 mins. , which seems to me like it had something to speed up the process.

The second was a couple months later. I just remember being woke up by something and staring at my ceiling for a couple minutes before realizing that there were lights like from a police car or such going outside. I looked out my window and seen fire trucks at the house on the other side of us. I ran to get Dad and Mom but they were already outside. Our neighbors HUGE shed was on fire. It was sad because there was alot of valuable stuff in there plus the guy's grandson's dirt bike and go cart.

Kerri Greyson
05-08-2003, 04:36 PM
hi,

well, I've never had a Big fire, but here is my story:

My mom and I were making dinner when the fan over the stove blew the paper towels onto a burner that was on! It lit so quick the paper towels were burned to sheds, and it was a new role. My dad couldn't quit laughing when he heard!:)

Randi
05-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
I wish someone would invent a mini-smoke alarm that Fido and Kitty could wear on their collar - with a unique sound, different from a regular smoke alarm and our Own FireFighter-down alarms that WE wear... Then we'd KNOW there was a pet in distress and could use the sound to *find* him or her!
Maybe some day... ;)
WHY didn't anyone think of that before! :eek: It is the best idea ever for saving a pet you don't know are there or not!! Phred, you MUST tell everybody in the "business" - I'm sure it can be done! :)

The picture I posted of the cat in the rucksack is NOT Fister, I borrowed the very appropiate photo from another thread - uhh, I don't remember who it is. :o However, I doubt that we'd get Fister inside one of those. :eek: We'd have to have our garden gloves ready, that's for sure!! And then again, there might just be time to chase him out with hoover. :D

Some peple say that cats can fall/jump out of windows from quite high up without hurting themselves, but I have my doubts about 2nd or third floor! In that case, I'd say the rucksack solution is the best!! And thowing a few mattresses out first they could land on, would probably also help. :)

Some flat's are designed rather unthoughtful - we have a kitchen with a starcase going down to the yard, next to the kitchen is the corridor, leading to the front staircase. But if the fire starts in the kitchen, it will rapidly block both doors.

I guess, we'll have to learn climbing down latters - however silly it may look. And will a radiator be strong enough to attach the latter to. :confused:

Well, we don't expect it to happen and I'm a light sleeper, so I'd most likely be the first "smokealarm" to react.

Btw, how is the statstics for pets waking up their humans in case of fire??

moosmom
05-08-2003, 06:45 PM
I wish someone would invent a mini-smoke alarm that Fido and Kitty could wear on their collar - with a unique sound different from a regular smoke alarm and our Own FireFighter-down alarms that WE wear... Then we'd KNOW there was a pet in distress and could use the sound to *find* him or her!

Oh Phreeeeeeed,

I think you have a definite calling. :D The Scottpack alarm is a GREAT idea!!

Randi
05-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Oh Phreeeeeeed, I think you have a definite calling. :D The Scottpack alarm is a GREAT idea!!
Has this alarm already been invented?? If so, why isn't it being used??

I thought of something else. :rolleyes: If there's time to throw a mattress or two out the window - presuming you're 5 - 10 meters up, that would make a softer landing for the cat/dog.

PayItForward
05-15-2003, 11:22 AM
I guess, we'll have to learn climbing down ladders - however silly it may look. And will a radiator be strong enough to attach the ladder to.

We hope to buy one of the following emergency ladders asap.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/parent.asp?pf%5Fid=168584x&dept%5Fid=700&strFindSpec=&Solutions=&code=

moosmom
05-15-2003, 01:37 PM
The alarm is used in Scottpacks, a breathing apparatus that firefighters use to go into burning buildings. When the air gets low, an alarm sounds so the firefighter knows to get out.

Cinder & Smoke
05-15-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Randi
Has this alarm already been invented??

"Pet Smoke Alarm" already invented?

Sadly, NO. But with some good reasons...

SIZE would be a major problem. The typical battery powered Home smoke detector is *way* too big to strap onto Fido's neck belt!

LOCATION would be a factor... Home smoke detectors *work* because they're mounted high up on a wall or ceiling - where the smoke from a fire first builds up. A smoke alarm on Fido - down on the floor - wouldn't *alert* until the room was almost completely filled with deadly smoke... Too late to be of any real value. :(

And then there's the PANIC :eek: Factor - Imagine if *YOU* were wearing a LOUD smoke detector on YOUR neck - and it *went off*!

FireFighters wear two different alarms (although some newer Air-Paks combine them into one unit)...
One detects and alerts to "Low Air" in our breathing air tank; and the other one detects "Lack of Movement" and alerts (LOUDly!) to guide other FireFighters to the non-moving or injured FireFighter.

A Pet-worn smoke alarm might *sound* like a good idea,
but I fear it wouldn't be very practical. :(

/s/ Phred

HoRsELUvR
05-15-2003, 02:41 PM
i know i would be scared if there was a fire at a house near mine.im glad the family was ok tho.

marysmerrycats
05-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Donna
what a horrible, tragic thing to happen to you, to your family! I'm so sorry to hear that.

and also so awful about the poor puppy!

thanks Phred. I bet you and Donna have alot of stories to tell?
I bet fires start for all kinds of crazy reasons?

Like I have posted before, I have had 2 experiences with fire before, one was the moving van that caught on fire because of the idiots SMOKING!! smoking in the truck with all our stuff, we came back from McDonalds and there they were! it was raining, so they didn't want to be outside, well they had no business doing that, and obviously were not careful about putting out the cigarettes! and we were dumb for not telling them to not do that, but we had no idea of that happening!
the second time it was very minor but could have been alot worse. I had a candle burning and forgot to blow it out before I went to bed, and a t-shirt was near by... thank God I had a smoke alarm!

the wood stove story reminded me of at the family cabin many years ago, there is a wood stove. I was alone at the time, and I went to warm myself by it and there was a tack poking out of the carpet , I put my hands out to catch myself, right on the stove, talk about DUMB!! the palms of my hands were burned! I had to rub ice cubes on them for 45 minutes before the burning feeling stopped!