PDA

View Full Version : unusual story!?!?!?

goldenR.luvr33
02-10-2001, 07:45 PM
Here is a very unusaul story about my Golden Retriever McKenzy. Mckenzy was only about a year old we had been takeing her to dog obiedence and the Teacher noticed that she unsually overweight. She told us that she might have a thyroid problem. Our whole family was devastated even though it wasn't actually a proven fact. We were ecspecialy sad because our Other golden Sage (McKenzys mom. we breed goldens)was sick and had to stay in our kitchen laying down. We had a Vet look at McKenzy and he wasn't exactly sure what was wrong. We bought her special food and kept a constit eye on her only to learn that she was pregnent! She had Only two puppies which were both black One was a girl and a Boy. Enfortunatley the girl died. The male miracle Puppie (we found out about the puppies after of week of being born. McKenzy had hidden them in the basement until one day we followed her down there to play with her.) Came to be know as Hunter and we found out who the father was Coco the black lab across the street! Hunter was so fat because he was the only pup but now hes a beautiful Black lab/ golden r. mix!! He is black with a White diamond on his chest his mommy also has a white diamond. Sage is like a second mom to him because she licks him and and shares her bones and treats with him. Sometimes if hes lucky she'll even play with him!

lhg0962
02-10-2001, 10:44 PM
That was a surprise. I know that puppy was very special. Have you decided to spay the mom? I think that would be a very good idea.
I have two golden retrievers myself, and I had they spayed before their first heat. I wanted no more puppies in this world.
A lab/golden mix is a nice puppy though. I know several adults who came from that mix and are the best adult dogs I have ever know.

goldenR.luvr33
02-11-2001, 01:06 PM
We haven't thought about spaying her yet because we know a few familys that would like one of her puppies as soon as we breed her. Its alot of work though thats why we stopped breeding our other one Sage. Hunter is the nicest dog ever and hes so lean even though we often feed him extra. He can jump over 6 ft. high and when we let him out he can run around the yard for hours and not get tired.

Albea
02-13-2001, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by goldenR.luvr33:
We haven't thought about spaying her yet because we know a few familys that would like one of her puppies as soon as we breed her. Its alot of work though thats why we stopped breeding our other one Sage. Hunter is the nicest dog ever and hes so lean even though we often feed him extra. He can jump over 6 ft. high and when we let him out he can run around the yard for hours and not get tired.

Hi there!
From one Golden lover to another:
I understand you want to breed McKenzy. However, please, please have her spayed as soon after that as possible! Female dogs that have not been spayed are at high risk of developing breast cancer later in life http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif
I did not spay my first Golden, more than 20 years ago,not because I was going to breed her but because I did not want her to go through the pain of surgery. Little did I know that eventually she would have to go through the pain of an operation for breast cancer and chemotherapy. She was 9 years old when she died.
I learned the lesson the hard way. My next two Golden girls were spayed as soon as the vet thought they were old enough, at about 7 months. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif
Check books and ask your vet. They all will tell you that you can have McKenzy with you for a much longer and happier life if she has the operation. Dogs recover very quickly after surgery, maybe because they never feel sorry for themselves http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif
Have fun with all your furry friends and the new puppy!!!

shais_mom
02-13-2001, 12:46 PM
To quote Dog Fancy magazine, Feb 2000 issue:
"An unspayed female dog and her mate, and all their puppies if none are ever nuetered or spayed, add up to:
1 year -- 16 dogs
2 years -- 128 dogs
3 years -- 512 dogs
4 years -- 2,048 dogs
5 years -- 12,288 dogs
6 years -- 67,000 dogs."
Think about that!!! wow! I would never have a dog that wasn't spayed or neutered, I just don't want to deal with the heat and etc.

goldenR.luvr33
02-14-2001, 06:13 PM
Hey Albea!! tahnx for telling me that! i never knew that Goldens were known for breast cancer. It sounds like a good idea to spay Mckenzy. shais_mom i never knew that a dog could produce so many puppies! Im glad that you told me that. This board is so nice to have. Im glad that all of you responded to my post. Thank You! :P

BoxerLover
04-03-2001, 04:39 PM
Gabby, Hunter's exuberance sounds just like Nikki!