PDA

View Full Version : I need help (Gracie)

NoahsMommy
05-07-2003, 09:30 AM
So, we got the humane cage from a rescue organization and set it up with stinky (fish) cat food. I even put the top of it at the entrance to her drain hole so she'd smell it. We set it up at about 7:00 last night.

I just got back and she didn't go into the cage. I left it there, in case she ends up going in there sometime today (prays and crosses fingers).

What do I do if she doesn't go in there????

NoahsMommy
05-07-2003, 10:11 AM
bump :)

K & L
05-07-2003, 10:24 AM
You have to just keep trying. You might try putting the food in the trap daily so she gets use to going in and out to eat, without setting it to trip. Then when it appears she is use to this, set it. Here's a site showing the best type of traps. http://www.animal-care.com/cata06.htm

Also check out this site for pointers on trapping:

http://www.alleycat.org/

Type trapping in the search box and it will bring up some guidelines on trapping.

Good Luck!

moosmom
05-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Noah'sMommy,

Be patient. A couple of questions...Did she eat any of the food in the trap? If not, try smelly sardines. Dribble a little leading to the trap, one tiny piece at the entrance, and a big huge glop of it inside. Make sure that it's in the back where she can't sit on the trip and cause it not to close. It works like a charm!

Also, did you cover the trap with either a tarp, old blanket or sheet? If not, that's another suggestion.

Most important, BE PATIENT. Trapping a feral cat is very time consuming and obviously, doesn't always work on the first try. I've set traps and waited for hours!! Patience is the key. Once she IS trapped, and I have every confidence it will happen, keep the trap covered to keep her calm. When first trapped, she will thrash about and possible scrape her nose. This is very common. Another suggestion is not to leave the trap unattended, and try setting the trap at dusk, as alot of cats are noctournal and look for food at sunset or early evening.

Good luck. You're doing a great thing by trapping her and getting her the help she needs and the love she deserves!!

WORD OF WARNING: Do not try to put the cat into a carrier. Leave her in the trap and take her to the vet. They will know how to handle her (with gloves!!)

NoahsMommy
05-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Thank you both, so much!

The trap I'm using is the standard TRU-CATCH cage that has a leather-type cover so she wont be as scared.

I'll do the sardine thing you mentioned Moosmom. She wont be able to resist those. :)

My husband is building a 9 x 5 (4 ft high) outdoor enclosure for her. I'm really happy. She'll be an "enclosed" kitty as opposed to an outdoor kitty. Once she acclimates and trusts and LIKES humans, we may take her to our Humane Society (or inside). This kind of also means we can foster!! (ssshhhhhh! Don't tell hubby that!!)

We bought a tarp to cover the enclosure from rain (not that we get rain very often, but just in case). I want to leave half of it uncovered so she'll have sun and shade. The entire edge of her cage is ALWAYS in the shade because of the roof above her. I'm so excited to make that a kitty haven, even for a feral or stray. We already bought her some food bowls, a litter box and a hand broom to sweep out the enclosure so it wont scare her. I want to hang a small planter on the wire of the enclosure full of cat grass and fresh catnip she can eat.

I know she needs some cat beds and a scratch post/small tree. I also know she needs somewhere to hide. Wolflady suggested something like a dogloo.

If you have any other ideas, please pass them on. Thank you!! :)

moosmom
05-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Noahsmommy,

You can also use a Rubbermaid 19 gallon storage bin as a hiding place. Just flip it over so the cover is on the bottom. Cut a hole in it so she can get in and out. Line it with newspaper and hay/straw. I've used them many times for feral colonies and they work great! It's alot cheaper than an igloo.

I hope you can fit her into your household! That is wonderful that your hubby is making an outside enclosure for her. She sounds like a great cat and just needs a chance to trust humans again. Please let me know how you make out!

NoahsMommy
05-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Noahsmommy,

You can also use a Rubbermaid 19 gallon storage bin as a hiding place. Just flip it over so the cover is on the bottom. Cut a hole in it so she can get in and out. Line it with newspaper and hay/straw. I've used them many times for feral colonies and they work great! It's alot cheaper than an igloo.

GREAT idea!!! Thanks so much!

moosmom
05-07-2003, 02:08 PM
That's what friends are for! ;)

NoahsMommy
05-07-2003, 11:42 PM
**UPDATE**

I went to see if Gracie went in her trap this evening at about 6:00. The trap was closed and I was thrilled....only to see nothing in there!!!

Somehow, it must have shut, the food wasn't touched but was COVERED in ants!

I removed the food, reset the trap on the other side and put some smelly anchovies in there.

David was returning from his softball game about ten minutes ago and went to check if she went in....not yet.

I sure hope she goes in by tomorrow so we can have her fixed before I start my new job on Monday.

Can I solicit some prayers on this one?? I am a little worried that she knows its a trap now. :(

NoahsMommy
05-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Oh! On a happy note, I got her a small cat tree tonight and a new cat condom!! :)

Miss Meow
05-08-2003, 05:25 PM
If only she knew the wonderful life awaiting her!

Good luck with the trap. Maybe you can leave some food for her a few feet away from the trap, and bring it closer and closer to the trap at each feed. That'll take time though and we all know that she'll wait until 5am Monday to go into it, just to stress out your first day on the new job ;)

moosmom
05-08-2003, 06:52 PM
a new cat condom!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I didn't know they SOLD kitty comdoms? Just kidding!

I've been praying for you and Gracie since you first posted. Please don't give up hope!

NoahsMommy
05-08-2003, 07:37 PM
I'm sorry guys....I learned that term here so I thought you would know. :o :o :o

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid57/p24000f8f2c302f07e7286bc701e080fd/fc6af2ee.jpg

That's Noel in one of the two fluffy, white ones. Her favorite one is the leopard print one....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/p6716f2a57b2a239bb4951aaedf62481b/fd3ff035.jpg

She will lay ANYWHERE you put it! :)

Thanks for the prayers Moosmom. :D

tikeyas_mom
05-08-2003, 09:23 PM
NoahsMommy

is this cat for surely female? or is it male? if it is female, it might have kittens and tahst why it hasnt been visiting lately. farell cats are usually not spayed so ya, it might just be she has babies. make sure you get her spayed and maybe see if she has had kittens befor, by asking the vet during after the operation.
you dont want to leave the kittens out there all alone.

good luck trapping her/him.

moosmom
05-08-2003, 11:43 PM
tikeyas_mom,

If she has babies, you'd be able to see her pink nipples, as she'd be nursing them.

Noahsmommy,

I have 2 of those little beds. My cats love sleeping in them next to the heater duct. I can't get over the resemblance between Noel and my Mollie Rose. I just love torties, don't you??

BTW, don't apologize for using the term "condom". I was only joking! :D

K & L
05-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
**UPDATE**

I went to see if Gracie went in her trap this evening at about 6:00. The trap was closed and I was thrilled....only to see nothing in there!!!

Somehow, it must have shut, the food wasn't touched but was COVERED in ants!

I removed the food, reset the trap on the other side and put some smelly anchovies in there.

David was returning from his softball game about ten minutes ago and went to check if she went in....not yet.

I sure hope she goes in by tomorrow so we can have her fixed before I start my new job on Monday.

Can I solicit some prayers on this one?? I am a little worried that she knows its a trap now. :(

This stuff is great for ants. Doesn't hurt pets etc. but works wonders on the ants. We sprinkle a circle around the food dish when trapping and we never see a ant in the food or around it.

http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?item_id=1301&promo=overture

emily_the_spoiled
05-09-2003, 12:43 PM
I have trapped a couple of the strays in our neighborhood and I found it helpful to cover the trap with an old sheet or blanket and put newspaper on the floor of the cage. That way she won't notice the wire quite as much when she walks in and she might not recognize it as a trap if it is covered.

Good luck and I hope you get her before Monday.