PDA

View Full Version : What could Boo be?

Soledad
05-07-2003, 04:09 AM
Ever since I got Boo, I've wondered what sort of mix he was. He obviously has some tabby, but the more I learned about cats, the more oriental his behaviour seemed to be.

Maybe you cat experts could let me know if this is just average cat stuff, or if Boo might have some other breeds in him.

- strongly bonded to one member of the family
- constantly meows
- comes when called
- very involved in everything you do, shadow kitty
- often naughty, getting into EVERYTHING
- loves attention, being pet, being held

Uabassoon
05-07-2003, 04:17 AM
To me it just sounds like regular cat behavior, but I could be wrong. Tabby is also a marking and not a breed. Tabbies come in all different sizes and colors and even different breeds. But either way Boo is very cute... and I'm still waiting for more pictures of that cute little face :D :D

Pam
05-07-2003, 05:45 AM
I am no cat expert, but Boo sounds just like my Andy, with all of the traits you mention. Andy is just a plain old everyday white kitty (not a trace of oriental that I can see), and the only other trait that Andy has that you don't mention is hiding when someone comes to the door. :rolleyes:

Cataholic
05-07-2003, 09:45 AM
I think he probably does have some oriental type breed in him...but, I also think he is just incredibly bonded to you......maybe if I saw, say, 48 pictures of him I could tell you with certainty, what type of kitty he is..:D

gini
05-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Soledad, I think you need to ask what YOUR BREED is......:D :D

Boo does all of those things because of YOU.

I have had a white cat, a black cat, a calico cat and now an orange tabby - and all of my cats have acted just as you describe Boo.

I think that a happy and well loved cat wants to be with his/her human every minute.

Kater
05-07-2003, 01:53 PM
From the pictures I've seen Boo's body type seems to be different from most of domestic shorthair mixes I’ve encountered. I have difficulty putting my finger on exactly how he's different. This could be attributed to the fact that you got him in New Zealand and their domestic shorthairs have different body types than American domestic shorthairs. (makes sense)

As for your guess of oriental, his body type seems too stocky for that. Now Boo, don't take my comment the wrong way, you are such a handsome kitty just as you are!!! :) :) :)

When I think of Orientals I think of...
- sleek, svelte design
- tall, slender legs
- angular head
- large flaring ears
- almond shaped eyes

But as a mix Boo would obviously not display all of these characteristics. Physically I don't see any of these when I look at pictures of Boo. However, pictures don't tell all, so perhaps you would argue that he does embody some of these traits.

Hmmm....on second thought he does sort of have the angular head thing going on as well as the almond shaped eyes. Do you agree, Soledad?

There's a map of my whole thought process! :D hehe, I think I'll leave it as is! ;)

Kirsten
05-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Do you have a pic of him?

From what you told us, the constant meowing could come from Siamese genes. And I read about Servals/Savannahs that they act like a dog (comes when called, follow "their" humans constantly), so he might have parts of these breeds inside of him.

Kirsten

Soledad
05-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Yes, Boo is stocky. He is quite short. Sam calls him the Danny Devito of cats. Which I think is not quite fair. First off, Boo is not THAT fat and he's very pretty. See?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid37/pfe6534dc6e98dc9250cb92e742fd314c/fd196121.jpg

People do comment on his eyes quite a bit, and they do seem more almondy than others. I guess the reason why I asked is that there are some oriental mixes that are stocky like Boo with these behaviours (like Snowshoe siamese).

He's so great, though. I love everything about him and wish he could have a breed of his own.:D

krazyaboutkatz
05-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Boo's very handsome no matter what breed he is. :D

Miss Meow
05-08-2003, 05:36 PM
He may have Burmese blood in him. Your description of Boo's behaviour sounds just like Pickles' traits, and Burmese are generally shorter and stockier than other orientals.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/pdb22a2d227477b53d47dabb368093e7d/fd0345a2.jpg

May be some English shorthair as well.

Soledad
05-08-2003, 05:54 PM
That makes sense, Nicole, as Burmese are VERY popular in NZ.

catmandu
08-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Some Cats are hungry for affection , which is why some of my Cats follow me around ans some are qieter and more aloof! The Siamese are friendly , but it is Michael , And Juke Joint Joseph , both strays that are the most demonstrive! And Diane , who is my flame point Siamese. The Siamese are a little cliqish. And spend thier time in a ball. Please see below! Catmandu