PDA

View Full Version : let's make this idiot accountable

Nomilynn
05-07-2003, 02:50 AM
Tonight I was watching the news and at the very end there was a really cute story about how some bears in a German zoo have "adopted" a cat. This kitty stays in the pen with the bears and they play and live together nicely. There was some video showing the bears going to pick up the cat by the scruff of the neck, and playing together. After the clip, the regular reporter said how cute the pictures were, and then the sports caster said, "I'm not a cat guy.. I was hoping for some violence to end that story" He wanted the bear to hurt the cat! He was waiting for it like it might be some cheap thrill!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I've written to the news station already, here is what I sent

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing in regards to some comments made by the sports reporter tonight on your 11pm News Hour. At the end of the broadcast, there was a brief story about a cat that has been adopted by some bears in a German zoo. The story was accompanied by some pictures of the bears and the kitty playing and interacting. Ms. Pope commented how cute it was, while the sports reporter (I cannot recall his name; I believe he is only on late at night or when the regular person is unable to come in) disgustingly said how he was “not a cat guy” and that he was “hoping for some violence to end the story,” meaning that he was disappointed that the last picture, where the bear went to pick up the kitty by the scruff of the neck, didn’t show the cat being hurt.

As an avid animal lover and advocate, I found these comments not only totally inappropriate but also tactless and unprofessional. Your news station has covered many stories about animal abuse and neglect, and has always, in my eyes, shown a tender heart toward the welfare of animals. However, your reporter tonight certainly did not express your stations expected caliber. I cannot believe that he would be allowed to get away with such a horrible comment. How dare he go on public TV and announce that it might be entertaining to see a cat get mauled or injured. I don’t really care if he is a “cat guy” or not, but does that give him the right to advocate violence? It absolutely does not. He was completely out of line and I sincerely hope that he takes the audacity he used to express a sick desire to see a cat die on TV and converts it into enough courage to apologize for this glaring mistake.

I will be waiting for your prompt reply in this matter.
Naomi Anderson

Here is the email address: [email protected]

Let's all write in and make this guy eat his words
:mad: :mad: :mad:

HayleyRosie
05-07-2003, 06:25 AM
I agree with every word you sent to the news station. Please let us know if they send you a reply.

Vio&Juni
05-07-2003, 06:55 AM
Naomi, I think your letter was super.
Let us know if they reply.

Kona & Oreo's mom
05-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Your letter was very eloquent. Thank you for taking the time to express your (and all animal lovers') opinion so well. Have you received a reply or seen the reporter apologize?

wolflady
05-07-2003, 11:58 AM
OMG, Naomi, your letter was very well written. I cannot believe that someone would make a comment like that on TV. I agree it's very distasteful and inappropriate. I would have been fuming had I seen that newscast! It's not often you see something positive in the news like this cute story, and he went and ruined it all. :mad:
I'm curious to know if they have responded to you as well. Do keep us posted!
**hugs**

moosmom
05-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Great letter Naomi!! I hope it does some good and they make this IDIOT apologize for his stupid, rude and unnecessary comments.

marysmerrycats
05-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Naomi
that was a very well written letter! I'd like to be updated when you get a reply ok?

I bet yours was not the only letter they received, and I'm sure they got calls too. and how does the idiot not know the station manager or owner might be a cat lover? REALLY stupid on his part. at least, he embarrassed himself and will probably have to apoligize on tv. at most, he may be finding himself in the unemployment line!

he has no class, no brains, no compassion... he is a poster person for the worst part of the human race!
not only did he possibly offend co-workers, and bosses, but he will be getting in hot water over this. I would bet on it!

watch that channels news and see what happens... I know I would want to watch another channel but then you would miss what happens over this.

just like that arnet guy that got fired from all the news sources for what he said.. I would really like t to know WHAT is going on in their heads when they say these things? exactly what do they THINK is going to happen? just like the dumb"chick" singer!

slick
05-07-2003, 12:24 PM
I saw a newscast about that story but can't remember what station it was on and don't recall the comment at the end, but then, I was doing laundry at the time and might have missed it. Thanks for the push Naomi. I'll write as well.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Naomi, well done for taking the time and effort to wite in and complain. I personally think that guy should lose his job, and the station should do something to compensate, perhaps by doing a fund raiser for a local shelter.

BTW the manageress at my shelter says that one of the most important things the man-in-the-street can do is to be eyes ears and voices for these animals - speak up, write to local press etc - we managed to succesfully prosecute an illegal roadside animal vendor here by "hounding" (pardon the pun) the local press and police unti they closed him down!

NoahsMommy
05-07-2003, 01:06 PM
That's discusting! That man is an idiot!

I'll write a letter too Naomi.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-07-2003, 01:10 PM
I'm going to send a letter from my Yahoo ID also - the more people complain, the more action they will have to take.

lbaker
05-07-2003, 01:13 PM
I just sent an email to the station. I signed my name and "Washington DC". That is where I work and from where I sent the email. I thought it might have better name recognition than my small Maryland town would.

marysmerrycats
05-07-2003, 04:18 PM
I will also write a letter.:mad: :mad:

batgirl1980
05-07-2003, 06:51 PM
:mad: :mad:
I'm going to write a letter as well. How DARE he say something like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*grabs the email address you posted and heads off to tell them a thing or two*

kohala
05-07-2003, 08:47 PM
I wonder if this idiot would have some similar comments when child kidnappings and abuse stories are reported? That kind of comment goes beyond being Politically Incorrect; it indicates a very low level of awareness not conducive to "being on the air".

carole
05-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Naomi i have also sent a letter, even though i did not c it obviously, i thought it might do them some good to realize even people on the other side of the world hear of these things and are appalled by them. cheers.
I can send you copy of the letter anytime u want it by email, tryed putting it on here but would not work sorry.:)

krazyaboutkatz
05-07-2003, 11:05 PM
How horrible. :mad: Naomi your letter is very well written and I sure hope that this news anchor loses his job. :mad: Please keep us posted.

marysmerrycats
05-07-2003, 11:29 PM
last week I was talking to someone on the phone about cats, and she said her vet told her that some people use cats to bait pit bulls! I have been sick ever since! I wonder , it sounds like thats the mentality that news idiot has!!

IttyBittyKitty
05-08-2003, 04:31 AM
I just sent this letter .... they will be vilified to see letters coming from as far afield as New Zealand and Australia!!

To Whom it May Concern,

I am writing in relation to a disturbing incident relayed to me by an associate of mine in Canada. I am of the understanding that one of your news reporters disgraced himself, during a story about bears that had befriended a cat, by making inappropriate comments about wanting to "see some violence." Not only is this highly offensive to animal rights activists and animal lovers everywhere, it is a blatant example of unprofessionalism in journalism. Any first-year journalism student will tell you on their first day that a journalist must keep his or her personal biases entirely separate from their reporting duties. Furthermore, as this reporter is no doubt being awarded with an obscene salary, one would come to expect much higher standards of behaviour.

To redeem yourselves, I strongly suggest a public apology, and that you get involved with the "Find the Kensington Cat" case and help the campaign to find the owner of the mutilated cat from the Toronto area. For more information, visit www.findmatt.org or e-mail Katie Woodward at [email protected].

Tamara Rose Walker,
ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST
Brisbane, Australia

The more letters the better I say!!

carole
05-09-2003, 04:45 PM
kewl letter, YOU GO GIRL YOU GO. but seriously this is what we need to do , send heaps of letters, and get our point across, i wonder if we will get emailed back, somehow doubt it, but we will let you know if we do, yes the further a field these letters come the better, just seen an article on the tv, that in belguim,brussels to be exact they are rounding up all the stray cats and dogs and killing them and using their fur for toys, clothes etc, this is an outrage, its been banned in usa they say, so now its time to get the same done in europe, i guess we all need to do something about this inhumane trade as well, i wonder how many pets get caught up in this as well, makes me fume, what do you all think?:mad: :mad: :(

kohala
05-09-2003, 10:30 PM
I sent my email just now, as I had time to think about my words:

"The comment reportedly made by your evening sportscaster about "hoping to see some violence" when the clip was shown of the bear and kitten bonding goes beyond being Politically Incorrect; it indicates a very low level of awareness, not conducive to "being on the air". I gather you are being inundated by emails from those of us who enjoy sharing the planet with beings other than just human. I live in San Diego, California currently, where we saw closure to a brutal child kidnapping, toture and murder case, a young girl named Danielle VanDam. It is much more readily acknowledged these days that cruelty and abuse towards animals is often a precursor to the same behavior towards humans, children especially.

"It should suffice that abuse of animals or the desire for it should stand on it's own as a despicable behavior and/or attitude. I wonder if your sportscaster would have some similar comments when children are shown at the local zoo? Or maybe when child kidnappings or animal abuse stories are reported? Too many people watch television these days and sadly get their ideas there, so it is incumbant upon any newscaster to be conscious of what he or she says, and how it is said.

"To preserve freedom of speech, which we hold dear here as I believe (from what my Canadian mother told me) you do as well, we must be responsible in what we say when it is being broadcast to a diverse populace."

I hope you get a response, Naomi, and please do let us know. Was this allright?

IttyBittyKitty
05-10-2003, 03:14 AM
Brilliant Letter, Kohala, very well written! We are definitely an eloquent bunch in this forum - the more lucid and intelligent a letter or e-mail of protest sounds, the more likely it will be taken seriously :)

I hope something positive comes of this.

Carole - I suggest we raise that issue with PETA or any other animal organisation you can think of. They rely on us to be their eyes and ears for animal abuse out there. What do you think? If you are willing, how about we get a few Pet Talkers together to research what we can find of the matter and put it to them?????

Nomilynn
05-16-2003, 08:44 PM
I still have not heard anything. Did anyone else get a reply? I think I might write again... it's really annoying! :mad:

kohala
05-17-2003, 12:21 AM
Would love to hear of any reaction to follow-up - Keep us posted, please!

IttyBittyKitty
05-17-2003, 02:32 AM
I hope we see something soon!!

carole
05-17-2003, 02:37 AM
Sorry no reply either, hmm looks like we were ignored, and i DONT like that one little bit:mad:

IttyBittyKitty
05-17-2003, 02:40 AM
That is just so rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carole
05-17-2003, 02:51 AM
Well folks time for more action, lets bombard them with more emails, can u post the email address again plz, and tell them we DONT like being IGNORED. Anyone up for that.

IttyBittyKitty
05-17-2003, 02:54 AM
Sounds like a plan! I wish I had one of them e-mail flood thingeys!

Cataholic
05-17-2003, 10:00 PM
I emailed a letter of digust, too. Lets keep up with the letter campaign. Don't give up, and thank you for bringing this to our attention!!!!

Nomilynn
05-17-2003, 11:49 PM
The email is still available in my first post in this thread. I re-sent my letter again, stating that if they didn't want to respond to me maybe some other news stations would. I still have heard nothing, but it's also a holiday weekend up here so perhaps this department will not be open until Tuesday. I sent it really late last night, so I don't expect anything until next week. I will let you know!

wolfsoul
05-18-2003, 03:04 AM
The addy won't work for me :( I'll try agian later...Stupid guy should be ashamed of himself :mad: