PDA

View Full Version : Column re. Pet Loss

AmberLee
05-07-2003, 12:03 AM
I stumbled across this column that was posted online by the Buffalo, New York daily newspaper. It's authored by a priest and a rabbi and they explore different perspectives on current issues. This week's hit close to home and I really liked it, and thought you might, also.

Q: I had to put my precious cat to rest. After months of nursing him through cancer, trying to give him pills and praying for his recovery, the time came to give him peace. I miss him so much but feel a little guilty mourning an animal when so many people are suffering greater losses. Some people say I will see my pet again. What do you think?
- E., via e-mail

A: Only another pet lover can comprehend the depth of sadness and true grief occasioned by the death of a beloved animal. As pet lovers, we understand. You need not feel guilty about your pain.

Moses proved himself to be a good shepherd of people by first being a good shepherd of his father-in-law, Jethro's, flocks. Jesus taught that a good shepherd knows his sheep and his sheep know him. We believe that what applies to sheep definitely applies to cats, dogs and all the critters we share our lives with, protect, feed and love. Nothing that expands your love is ever to be regretted. One reason the world is so wounded is because its love of animals is so spare and weak. May God comfort you in your loss, and may you soon find a new pet to love and shepherd through this world.

Monsignor Tom Hartman and Rabbi Marc Gellman are happy to try to answer your religious, personal or ethical questions. Contact the God Squad, c/o Telecare, 1200 Glenn Curtiss Blvd., Uniondale, N.Y. 11553 or e-mail [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>.

jenluckenbach
05-07-2003, 06:09 AM
very nice and reassuring

Logan
05-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Thank you for sharing that, Pauline.