PDA

View Full Version : False Pregnancy???

Rottieluver45
05-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Thelmer is tearing hair out of her side and stomach! My sister has a class called agriculture and her teacher said that it means she thinks she`s pregnant! Is that true? She was under my bed when I saw her,and there was a HUGE clump of hair!

BTW: I`m keeping Thelmer and I`m getting her spayed next week.

primabella
05-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Your keeping her? Great news! :D

CathyBogart
05-07-2003, 12:36 AM
I am SO glad you decided to keep her!! Rabbits can get false pregnancies, and it is in fact not all that uncommon. Sounds to me like she's trying to make a cozy nest in anticipation of little ones. ^_^

Uabassoon
05-07-2003, 12:40 AM
I'm so happy to hear you are keeping Thelmer!! My dad raises rabbits and I know that right before they have their babies they remove the hair from their chin I think it's called a dulap but I couldn't have it totally wrong. Well anyways they take out the hair and line their nest box with it. So it sounds totally possible that Thelmer is going through a false pregnancy.

RockyRoad
05-07-2003, 06:52 AM
I'm so happy you decided to keep her! {{{Hugs}}}
Yes, rabbits do have false pregnancies. :)

zippy-kat
05-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Yay for Thelmer!

tikeyas_mom
05-07-2003, 10:44 AM
I am sooooo happy you desided to keep Thelmer, she loves you and deserves noone eles.

Rottieluver45
05-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks! I`ve decided to get Thelmer spayed this week!

tikeyas_mom
05-07-2003, 11:46 AM
good for you, she will live longer and be more docile. thats what the vet told me about spaying my rabbit anyways.

wolf_Q
05-07-2003, 10:51 PM
Glad to hear you are getting her spayed. Just curious, what was the reason for the sudden change of heart...deciding to keep her?

tikeyas_mom
05-07-2003, 11:00 PM
ya, i thought that your family didnt like rabbits??? Confused:

PJ's Mom
05-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Rottie's mom here. :)

It isn't that we don't like rabbits. We love Thelmer. She's adorable. She has one problem, though. She bites! :eek: :( She's drawn blood on me twice, and bit my other daugher on the face when she was running around on the floor.

We've been told that spaying her will keep her from biting, growling, making a huge mess in her cage, and not using her litterbox. We've decided to spend the $140 to get it done so Rottie can keep her. :)

I just hope everything we've read about the calming effects of spaying turns out to be true. :o Tomorrow's the big day! :D

zippy-kat
05-08-2003, 11:23 AM
It will make a BIG difference! She might be extra grumpy b/c of the surgery but give it a few weeks. Once she begins to heal, her attitude should change. (Un-spayed/un-neutered bunnies are just hormones on short stubby furred legs! :D )

Good luck Thelmer!

Let us know how it goes! :)

PJ's Mom
05-08-2003, 01:04 PM
I can't wait till I can cuddle with her without having to worry about being bitten :)

My husband's really looking forward to her new attitude, I think. She bit his nipple. :D :D LOL

zippy-kat
05-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
I can't wait till I can cuddle with her without having to worry about being bitten :)

My husband's really looking forward to her new attitude, I think. She bit his nipple. :D :D LOL

LOL :eek: OUCHIE! :eek: LOL

just a question... do you cuddle on her level (ie with her *on* the sofa/floor/bed/etc) or do you hold her? she may not like being held (which might be why she bites). Piper HATES to be held and gets really nippy -- but he's a love bug if you lay beside him.

PJ's Mom
05-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Both times I've been bitten have been on her level, although one of those times I had my hand in her cage which I've heard is a no no.

My daughter was bitten while they were both on the floor. What's funny is that Thelmer appears to be a hit-and-run biter. :o She bites then runs away really fast. :D

PayItForward
05-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Gosh you are a good parent to find that much money for the operation.

Fingers crossed that Thelma relaxs post-op and stops biting :D

Rottieluver45
05-08-2003, 08:59 PM
I`m really nrevous about tomorrow!!! Is she suppose to eat b/4 the sugery??

tikeyas_mom
05-08-2003, 09:11 PM
We've been told that spaying her will keep her from biting, growling, making a huge mess in her cage, and not using her litterbox.

yes it will, I spoke to a vet about that, also she will live longer with a less of a chance of getting cancer.

zippy-kat
05-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Rottieluver45
I`m really nrevous about tomorrow!!! Is she suppose to eat b/4 the sugery??

No, no food prior to surgery. My vet had me take away Piper's food at 10pm the night before. (He was scheduled for 8am the next morning... so no food 10hrs prior to surgery.) You can leave his water though!

(Also, if you aren't picking him up right away, it'd be a good idea to fix a "bunnie bag" ... Piper was allowed to have hay as soon as he woke up.)

Good Luck Lil' Thelmer... I'll be thinking of you all day tomorrow!

Rottieluver45
05-08-2003, 09:21 PM
No food? :o :o

Great. I asked the lady I talked to (I assumed she was a vet tech) and she said to feed her normally. :o

I'm beginning to think I need to take her somewhere else. This person didn't even tell me what time to bring her in. I had to ask. :rolleyes:

zippy-kat
05-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Wellll... if she says you feed her normally you might want to think about using her advice.

It's been my (animal and human) experience that you don't eat before a surgery.... hmm.... I dunno. Could you maybe call the answering service at the vet's and find out?

tikeyas_mom
05-08-2003, 09:43 PM
they charge for calling though

zippy-kat
05-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
they charge for calling though

I've never been charged for calling... only if I take them in.

tikeyas_mom
05-08-2003, 09:59 PM
maybe it is different here is B.C Canada then :confused: because they charge to call to ask for a vets recommondation or advise.

popcornbird
05-08-2003, 10:12 PM
I always call my vet and they never charged a penny. Its just like making any local call. Why in the world would they charge for a little phone call?

Ps. Rottie, I was thrilled to know that you are keeping Thelmer! Great news and great decision! :D Good luck!

kingrattus
05-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Damn. I'm only a few provinces over from BC, I'm in Ontario & I don't pay for vet calls.. the vets never call back.. :mad: & well my pet ends up dying so there is no bill to get it healthy again... evil SF vets.. I hate em with a passion!!!