PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about Tabby Cats?

rizzy
05-05-2003, 08:05 PM
We will be getting a tabby cat. What are they like? I have no expirence with tabbys. With cats yes. Tabbys No. I would really appreciate what information you have to share about tabbys. What are they like with dogs? Are they Friendly? Are they CUTE? (well of course they are cute these are just some suggestion questions)

ANYTHING YOU HAVE WILL BE HELPFUL!
THANX!!:D

rizzy
05-05-2003, 08:12 PM
WHAT ABOUT THERE SIZE? are they big? how big are they? Do they shed much? what are they like in the house and with kids and a dog?

Karen
05-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Tabby is just a coloring description, so a tabby can be any size, any length of fur ... any background ...

There aren't a lot of generalizations one can make! I've known bossy tabbies and shy ones, big ones and small ones, sweet ones, and one nicknamed "killer" ...

BastetsMum
05-05-2003, 09:53 PM
The only tabby's I have known *they are a kitty colouration btw* have been rather outgoing, feral, insane, handsome, kissable, hyperactive, playful, cautious, protective ... you name it ...

They haven't got any real traits other than they are a *mutt* breed in the nicest possible sense of the term :D

By the way , when you get your tabby we would like pics PLEASE!

Cheshirekatt
05-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Tabby is just a coloring description, so a tabby can be any size, any length of fur ... any background ...

There aren't a lot of generalizations one can make! I've known bossy tabbies and shy ones, big ones and small ones, sweet ones, and one nicknamed "killer" ...

LOL I knew one nicknamed "godzilla"! Orange tabbies are my fav.

jenluckenbach
05-06-2003, 05:40 AM
Yes, Tabby just means a type of marking. It is not even a color. For example you need to add a color to their description........orange tabby, silver tabby etc. Therefore they do not have traits of their own. They can be ANYTHING!!! But, yes, they are cute.;)

Pam
05-06-2003, 06:03 AM
It may just be coincidence, but many of the orange tabbies that I have seen (and Trevor is definitely included here) seem to be a little larger than a normal cat. That might be because orange tabbies are usually males. Just a thought...

kath00
05-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Tabby cats are like the average mutts.

Some of them are very big and impressive ; these are usually males and the other cats must learn to respect them... :eek:

Others are just little and cute; usually, they are females and they aren't very people-oriented but are very gentle with their owner. ;)

rizzy
05-06-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by BastetsMum
The only tabby's I have known *they are a kitty colouration btw* have been rather outgoing, feral, insane, handsome, kissable, hyperactive, playful, cautious, protective ... you name it ...

They haven't got any real traits other than they are a *mutt* breed in the nicest possible sense of the term :D

By the way , when you get your tabby we would like pics PLEASE!

Oh yes definately! The tabby we are getting is not old enough to leave its mother yet so I dont know how long it will be exactly. It is my friends cats kitten. So I will see it before I actually get to take it home. Thanks for all the information. Is there any on shedding? I need all I can get to prepare for my new baby.

Randy_K
05-06-2003, 11:13 PM
Look into hairball control dry food and Petromalt or other similar product. Tabbies shed their soft winter undercoat at springtime which is a considerable amount of hair (you could build another cat out of it!). Let your cat spend as much time as you can with it's mother as they are better prepared for life and happier all around as opposed to taking it away too early. Mango left his mom at 16 weeks and was quite ready to take over a new home. He's a well adjusted, gentle, happy little guy.

Uabassoon
05-07-2003, 12:45 AM
LOL I knew one nicknamed "godzilla"! Orange tabbies are my fav

My orange tabby Corkscrew is nicknamed King Cork after King Kong.

LiL LaUrA 2189
05-07-2003, 04:26 PM
i have a diluted patch tabby and an orange tabby. they are both very cute! zoe is shedding A LOT right now, but that's just because it is spring. sophie and zoe are very friendly and lovable. Sophie is still small but Zoe is a pretty good size. Check out some of their pictures.

http://www.geocities.com/lilboardergurly/laurascats.html

ChrisH
05-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Funnily enough.... I am about to begin a thread about black coat colour in cats and in the book I am looking at it says this about Tabbys.

There are several variations on the `classic` tabby coat pattern. There may be thin dark lines, sometimes breaking into spots or dashes to create a striped `tiger` effect. There are five types of tabbies: the Mackerel Tabby, the Blotched Tabby, the Spotted Tabby, the Ticked Tabby and the Patched Tabby. The range of colours is enormous and includes black, grey, white, brown, red, cream, silver, fawn and chestnut.
And I found this interesting too.

HOW THE TABBY GOT ITS NAME
`Tabby` cats are so called because their mottled coat pattern resembles a type of silk fabric with a watered pattern of the same name. The word `tabby` is derived from the Al-Attabiya quarter of Bagdad where tabby was originally woven.

Christine

In_love_with_cats
07-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Every tabby has a different personality. My tabby, he is declawed, he is very strange boy. He is aggressive because of being declawed. Not all tabbies are big but the males tend to be big. Mines loves to play especially at night time when we are going to bed. The tabbie that I had to have put down wasn't very nice to other people. She use to hiss at them if they came close to her but she love her family. I hope that help you but now it really up to you.

Randy_K
08-04-2003, 09:02 PM
I kind of doubt that declawing has made your cat aggressive. I know a number of declawed cats and they all seem not to even know. They paw away at the couch or a speaker grille like they have claws.

Male cats tend to be larger than the females from the same litter (there’s a lot of genetic variables) and the males get jowly as they get older so even if they are the same size as a female, you can tell the male just by his face.

Personality has a lot to do with upbringing, genetics and a lot of other variables just like human children.

NoahsMommy
08-04-2003, 10:10 PM
We have two tabbies.

Noah, a maine coon/tabby mix orangie. He's a HUGE cat wieghing in at 20 lbs of pure cat...not fat. He is a huge love bug, but doesn't really like people. I've always heard that short haired, male orange tabbies are laid back. After meeting Gini's Rascal, I would agree. :) Here is a picture of my Noah:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid57/pf19d8ee4855267bc622878bbe25fc33b/fc6e0681.jpg

Hermione is a black/tan tabby and is 16 weeks old. :) She's a little character; loves to play and is a huge cuddler. You can see her in my signature.

Each cat is different though. We'd love to see your newby when you get him/her. :D

rizzy
08-04-2003, 10:15 PM
Everyone, there wont be any pics coming anymore because the kitten we were supposed to get passed away. I am really sorry. Thanks for all the Information though. It is really helpful and useful. Its nice to know, especially if I get a tabby some time.

Sorry and Thank you.

jazzcat
08-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Rizzy - I'm so sorry. I'm glad you have Lucky to help you through.