PDA

View Full Version : I Am So Furious!!

moosmom
05-05-2003, 06:43 PM
I don't even know where to begin. When I moved here from CT, I hired a moving company, Regal Van Lines, Ltd. (I don't care if I post the name or not because they are under investigation by the DOT for fraud and unethical business practices), via movers.com. Not only did they rip me off by holding my stuff hostage by demanding $1200 more than what we agreed on, but they never gave me a booklet on my rights as a consumer, nor did they offer me extra insurance in case stuff got damaged. And they didn't weigh the truck before they arrived, 4 hours late, I might add.

The move was a friggin nightmare. The total cost was $3,208. Damages to my stuff is almost $2,000. I called the moving company to find out the name of their liability insurance. They gave me the wrong name! It was only after an investigator from the DOT called me to get my statement that I got the correct name and address of the insurance agent. I kept impeccable records, documenting everything from conversations with the owner who agreed to a total price of $1,958.00 (the estimate was for $1,250). I sent all sorts of documentation to the insurance company, only to have a release sent to me for $117.60!!! It took 3 weeks for my stuff to arrive. The damages were so bad (They broke my kitchen set, broke heirlooms and lost all SORTS of things). Now I have to file a small claims suit to recoup any money and damages. I filed a complaint with the DOT and the BBB out of New York. I was told by the investigator that they have done business under 5 different names!! When I called to find out the last name of the owner, and tried to resolve it on my own, the hung up on me!!

Word of warning...NEVER look for a mover online. That's what the investigator told me.

Sorry this is so long, but I don't ever want anyone to experience what I went through. As the investigator told me, use a reputable company, someone that will come and do a walk-through estimate.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
05-05-2003, 07:07 PM
W:eek:W! My mawmerz iz in wut she cawlz "shawk" Persunallee, I think dat doz moover menn shud pay fer everthin dat gawt damijed. Dats weally rood! My mawmerz sez she iz sow sorriez dat all dat happenz to ya, cuz yer such uh nise purrson! My mawmerz wishes yew da best uv luckers and I giv ya lotz of kisserz and tale waggerz.

~AbbyDawg~

Former User
05-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by moosmom

Word of warning...NEVER look for a mover online. That's what the investigator told me.

I'm sorry to hear your move was a disaster (if I may use that word), but don't blame other moving companies for it, but the one you used. We just moved last friday and had absolutely NO problems at all, move was fast, the people friendly and the whole move wasn't so big deal I had expacted. And, we found the moving company online! If you had a bad experience with a company you found online it doesn't mean they are all the same!
I'm sorry if I sound like I'm jumping on your face with this, but I'm not. Just wanted to defend our movers as they didn't do anything wrong.

marysmerrycats
05-06-2003, 02:49 AM
Oh Donna
so sorry this happend to you. my brother had alot of trouble with crooked movers years ago... and(another fire topic) when I moved from Fresno Ca to San Diego, the moving van caught fire! I lost everything.

I hope things work out for you!

popcornbird
05-06-2003, 02:58 AM
Oh my! That's awful! I'm so sorry that it happened to you, although that doesn't mean all movers are bad.

When we moved 3 years ago, we got a mover to move our stuff. They were EXCELLENT! We would have spent at least 2 - 3 days to do what they did in 2 hours. Nothing was broken, everything was perfect, and the price was great too. Again, I'm so sorry that you happened to get bad movers. :(

anna_66
05-06-2003, 08:25 AM
When I was young & we moved from Nebraska to North Dakota, the movers weren't quite that bad, but there were alot of broken things and one of them was even wearing my dads cowboy hat:eek: What nerve! Guess you just never know.
I hope you can recoupe some of you losses.

05-06-2003, 08:48 AM
In 1983, we moved a major part of our stuff overseas to live in St.Louis (Missouri) for 2 years. Only one thing went wrong: our stuff arrived 1 month after we moved in there... . But for the rest, we were very happy with the service, and NOTHING was broken!
Sorry to hear you had so much problems...

Russian Blue
05-06-2003, 09:08 AM
What a nightmare, I'm sorry this happened to you!

Recently, there have been a huge number of horror stories about moving companies doing 'bad business' and taking people to the cleaners. In Ontario, there are a number of moving companies that have changed addresses and changed their names to avoid getting caught.

We moved a year ago, and the best way to find a moving company, if you have this option, is to ask friends, family, coworkers for their recommendations.

We are currently renovating our house and we have to sign contracts with many different contractors. It's really hard to know who will be honest and do a good job when you don't have a recommendation.

:(

ramanth
05-06-2003, 09:53 AM
$117.60!?!?!? arrrgghhh!!!!

(You told me all about this situation on the phone)

I do hope you get the rightful amount of money you deserve!

moosmom
05-06-2003, 10:02 AM
Casper & Kitty,

Nah, I didn't take offense at all and I know there are ALOT of reputable movers online. I didn't mean to insinurate all movers online are crooked.

Russian Blue,

I saw something on either Dateline or Nightline about crooked movers. When I first saw it I thought "nothing like that can ever happen to me!" Wrong!! I guess I'll live and learn. But they picked the wrong person to piss off. I'm sure once the judge sees that they're being invesitaged, it'll turn out in my favor. The problem is, will I be able to collect the money? I'm preparing myself for the fact that I might not. :mad:

Ramanth,

That release was a slap in the face. That's what really angered me. When I tried to call the insurance company, they don't accept phone calls, only via mail. They're probably just as crooked as the movers.

The one thing I've learned from this whole experience is to get recommendations and do my homework. Not that I'll be moving again anytime soon :rolleyes:.

Dakota's Mommy
05-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Wow, what a nightmare! I'm so sorry that you went through that! I hope I never have to do with something like that when I move again!

wolflady
05-06-2003, 11:51 AM
OMG! Donna! What a nightmare! I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. Moving is usually a really big (and hopefully) exciting change in life, and it shouldn't be all mucked up by terrible service.
Thanks for posting your story. My parents are moving back to Indiana from California very soon, so hopefully things will be better for them! I'll be sure to have them read this thread first! :eek: I sure hope you get compensated for everything!

**hugs**

iceyshiver21
05-06-2003, 01:03 PM
WOW!! I would be SOO mad!! UGH!! That would be horrible, its good that your getting the word out.

ChrisH
05-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Donna, how terrible! I am so sorry that you had to go through all that!
Praying and hoping that justice is done and you get compensated for everything.