PDA

View Full Version : Service Dog Debate

Cheshirekatt
05-04-2003, 05:27 PM
Can you believe the selfishness of these parents?!?

There's a battle brewing in a Portsmouth school over a dog_the classroom.

The dog is there for medical reasons, but many parents don't think the dog should be in the_school at all.

Six-year old Christopher has cerebral palsy, a brain disorder that, in his case, causes seizures. He attends Churchland Primary and Intermediate School with Mr. Hope, his seizure response dog that senses Christopher's oncoming seizures and alerts a nearby parent or teacher.

But many parents of other students at the school say_the dog_must go. Eight-six parents have signed a petition calling for Mr. Hope to be removed from the school of 650 students.

They say the dog aggravates their children's allergies, shaking his body and spreading pet dander all over the school...even in the cafeteria where there's food present. The parents say their children are sneezing more, scratching more, coughing more.

But Mr. Hope will stay, it's the law.

In a letter home to parents, E. Anne Horne, the school's principal wrote:

The service dog is medically necessary. Federal law protects the right of the student to be accompanied by the service dog in public places.

The parents tell WAVY News 10 they may seek legal action to have the dog removed.

Soledad
05-04-2003, 05:38 PM
That is unbelievable. I think a few kids sneezing is a fair price to pay for a kid being saved from a major seizure.

Cheshirekatt
05-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
That is unbelievable. I think a few kids sneezing is a fair price to pay for a kid being saved from a major seizure.

And how on earth do they think they're going to get around the persons with disabilities act? There's a reason for that act. So stupid people like this can't discriminate against disabled persons. Good grief!

moosmom
05-04-2003, 05:54 PM
I have a child with disabilities from a malignant brain tumor and I say THANK GOD for the Americans for Disabilities Act (ADD). If it weren't for those laws, disabled persons would be discriminated in every aspect of life.

The parents that are screaming about having the dog removed have no idea what it's like to have a child with disabilities. And I'll bet you ANYTHING that if it were THEIR child, they'd fight for their rights.

Stupid, stupid people!!!

Soledad
05-04-2003, 06:33 PM
It's so sad that people have become so selfish and amoral that they're willing to go to these lengths.

I can't imagine these parents will get any kind of favorable press.

KYS
05-04-2003, 08:05 PM
I have suffered from allergies all my life.
Was their a child in the class who is so allergic to dogs,
that it puts them in medical danger?
(Children with everyday animal allergies
simply do not touch or go near
the dog and someone can simply vacuum)
I can't even comment on the selfishness
of those parents. :(

Cincy'sMom
05-04-2003, 09:54 PM
With all the allergy medications/air filters available today, I can't believe that is even a legitimate excuse to put someone else's life in danger. Service dogs are amazing animals and have very right to be wherever they are needed.

I have a friend who has horrible allergies to dogs...yet she has two of her own, teaches freestlye and other trianing classes, and ironically, is currently training a service dog...

mugsy
05-04-2003, 10:16 PM
If it's such a crisis have the kid transferred to a different classroom for God's sake...it's not rocket science. I agree it's the law and the stupid parents are going to have to deal with it. I hope they take it to court and end up paying out the nose for court costs as the judge laughs them out of court. How dumb do you have to be?

Nomilynn
05-05-2003, 12:36 PM
That is just so sick. They are complaining about their kids allergies, and how they should be treated - but I guess Cerebral Palsy doens't count as a condition as annoying as allergies???? :mad: What a crock.. I really hope those parents are told to take a hike..

iceyshiver21
05-05-2003, 12:53 PM
I really dislike people that think that just because some students are sneezing they can put anothers life in danger...

RICHARD
05-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
.. I really hope those parents are told to take a hike..

and maybe they'll get their arm stuck under a rock, run out of water then.......

it goes back to people 'wanting the best for their kids'

instead of trying to reason, they look for the 'sue at all costs'/
"my poor child, i want the best for them" mentality to get things done.....

it shows just how stupidly selfish people are these days....ME
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME
ME ME ME

and i bet these parents are the same people who BBQ, drive SUVs
burn trash on the property, use all the chemicals to clean the house, wash the car, Still have asbestos insulation in their homes......

there should be a TFB law, it will be based on common sense and
the penalty for the stupidity will be your pic and a huge headline saying INTOLERANT MORONS OF THE WEEK...

TFB???
TOO F ING BAD

mugsy
05-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Very well said Richard! And we wonder why our kids are so selfish...monkey see monkey do.

My roomie at school was just talking about that today. My student teacher showed my careers class Wizard of Oz and gave them a worksheet about handling hardships, conflict resolution, etc and they complained that they didn't want to watch the movie. Rachel said, they are so incredibly ungrateful. She used the example of the kid that gets a candy bar from the teacher and says they don't like that kind give me somthing else.

RICHARD
05-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
My student teacher showed my careers class Wizard of Oz and gave them a worksheet about handling hardships, conflict resolution, etc and they complained that they didn't want to watch the movie.

But offer them a movie like austin powers and they'll step all over themselves to see it..

I'd say 'uffda' all them time in front of my GF, the GF picked it up and when her grandkids heard this and thought, 'if grandma says it.......'

the girls went home-my GF was called later and lambasted for 'teaching' the GKs 'dirty words'!!!! Yet those same kids were allowed to watch the austin powers movie.......those kids could QUOTE LINES FROM THE MOVIE -- not the benign stuff either..

later we were baby sitting at the daughter's house and the kid went to turn on the telly, she wanted to watch that same movie-when i told my GF that i was not comfortable with the kids watching the movie i was told it was, "o.k., their mom lets them watch it..."

(i like racy humor but i just didn't care for that movie)...the adult humor in that movie is o.k. for adults - but for 5-6 year old kids?!?!?!?!

UFFDA!! my GF was upset about being raked over the coals for that-apparently a teacher heard the child say that and reported it to the mom, who went ballistic.....

At my GF's funeral the priest was telling stories and he brought up the fact that 'uffda' is not a curse word and the fact that the daughter made a HUGE deal out of it.....

after the service i wanted to walk up to the daughter and ask her about 'uffda' and the fact that her daughter could quote every penis joke from that austin powers movie.
--------------------------------------
those same sneezing kids are the ones riding bikes w/o helmets,
skating w/o pads, go swimming w/o supervision and left to wander the streets until 11:00 p.m. They are probably pissed off that THEY can't take their pets to school (typical 'kid envy') and
despise the attention/treatment that the disabled child gets....

the kid goes home and starts to complain to their parents, knowing the a-holes will trip overthemselves to make sure that
their kids are 'safe'..

Soledad
05-06-2003, 03:54 AM
Uffda being considered a curse word while allowing your 5 year old watch Austin Powers!! Great consistency of logic. Sheesh. :eek: :rolleyes:

catland
05-06-2003, 12:52 PM
I grew up hearing "Uffda" all the time from my mom. I don't say it outloud, but have occasionally muttered an "uffda" under my breath.

Do those people even know the Brittish definition of "shag" from "The Spy Who Shagged Me" movie? Hint: it starts with an FU.....

Anyone who allows their 5 year old to watch something like Austin Powers (which I actually thought was kind of funny but not appropriate for a child) should have their mouth washed out with soap!

RICHARD
05-06-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by catland

Do those people even know the Brittish definition of "shag" from "The Spy Who Shagged Me" movie? Hint: it starts with an FU.....

FUNICULAR??????

:D

catland
05-06-2003, 04:44 PM
very FUnny.:D

(only two more days until Thursday)

tatsxxx11
05-06-2003, 05:50 PM
Having Scandinavian parents, I grew up with hearing my mother mutter "Uffda" all day long!:D Curse word???????? NOT! Every Scandianavian gift shop has coffee mugs, napkins, dish towels, etc. with Uffda! printed on them. Please!

As for those wicked, selfish, thoughless parents.....You're right Richard! "It's all about me, all the time, every day, in every way......ME, ME, ME!!" I'm sure some sort of arrangements could be made so that the child and the dog and the "allergic" kids could be accomodated! Grrr!:mad:

RICHARD
05-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11

As for those wicked, selfish, thoughless parents.....You're right Richard! "It's all about me, all the time, every day, in every way......ME, ME, ME!

Another horror/dumb parent story.

cross my heart!!!! true story!!!!

a co-worker was recently divorced and was having problems with her daughter (she always told me her daugher was 'her best friend and buddy...')
the 13 year old daughter was caught smoking, ditched school, ran away from home, caught stealing, took the mom's jewelry, took her car, lit the storage area of the apartment building where
they were living on fire-causing them to be evicted..

after a few months of silence, she called me to say 'hi' and chat...we spoke for a few minutes and then told me that she
had bought the same kind of truck that I owned..
I asked her if she planned on going camping in it and she said, 'No, i bought it so i can transport the dirt bike i am buying my daughter...i want to get her into something she likes so she won't be in so much trouble....'

A DIRT BIKE!!

i guess she picked up on my confusion and told me that she 'wanted her daughter to have all the things that i didn't have when i was a kid....'

when you can't keep your kids under control, give them expensive toys, clothes, money........buy their love!!

god, i am sorry i didn't know about this when i was growing up!
i should have a car, motorcycle and a house for all the hassles i gave my parents......my sibs beat me to it!!!!;)

back to the original thread......

i hope the parents do go to court over the dog in class, the judge grants an order to keep the dog in class, and the parents go thru a protracted court fight costing them a bunch of money, so much that they end up dropping the whole case.

sorry, i'm mad!

uffda!

Soledad
05-06-2003, 06:58 PM
That whole "my child is my friend" and "I want them to have the things I didn't" school of parenting is just plain SCARY. My mother and father have made it quite clear that they are not our buddies. Even as adults, we know to treat them with respect.

mugsy
05-06-2003, 07:51 PM
Ahh yes, Soledad, but I'll bet your parents had some semblance of sanity too. You wouldn't believe what parents will say for their kid or what they will say at a conference and then turn around and do just the opposite when they get home.

Richard....you stole my outcome...BRAT!!:p :p

KYS
05-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Richard that is amazing. :(

Soledad, that is how we were brought up too, but
even one of my 3 sisters has that buddy syndrome.
She has blinders when it comes to her "own" kids.
What about the parents who never let their kids take responsibility for their actions and the parents always bail them
out!
It's funny how each of the generations seem to change, at
least in my family.

Soledad
05-06-2003, 10:12 PM
I remember that my mom and I went out with one of my mother's friends and her daughter for lunch. The other mother was going on about how great it was to have a daughter, because it was like having a built in girlfriend. When we left, my mother and I got into the car and she said "I love you, Diana, and we have a special bond, but you are not my friend. You are my daughter and I am your mother, we are not equals."

I think it's one of the smartest things she's ever done.:)

GoldenRetrLuver
05-06-2003, 10:32 PM
That is unbelievable what some people would say!:mad: That poor kid has a disability and finnaly gets some "special help" from a service dog, and parents argue that the dog should leave! I bet they wouldnt be saying that if it ws their own kid.....:mad:

yorkster
05-06-2003, 11:11 PM
one word: UNBELIEVABLE!!! :mad:
no, make that 2 words: UNBELIEVABLE AND SELFISH! :confused: :(

CathyBogart
05-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Those parents are a bunch of stupid selfish morons! Almost no-one is so allergic to a small amount of dog dander that it should affect schoolwork, and if they are then that is a serious medical situation that would be solved by moving the allergic child to another class.

A friend of mine has Cerebral Palsy, and if anyone ever treated him that badly I would rip them to shreds. The poor boy has a hard enough time already, I wish there was a way that all of those parents could be in his shoes for a week.

Logan
05-07-2003, 08:06 AM
I remember that my mom and I went out with one of my mother's friends and her daughter for lunch. The other mother was going on about how great it was to have a daughter, because it was like having a built in girlfriend. When we left, my mother and I got into the car and she said "I love you, Diana, and we have a special bond, but you are not my friend. You are my daughter and I am your mother, we are not equals."

I think it's one of the smartest things she's ever done.:)

When I went through my divorce, my daughter was two years old. My wise aunt told me at that time that it would be easy for me to become "friends" with my daughter since we would be alone, but she warned me to always remember that I am her mother first. It has been good advice, just like what your mother believes. :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-07-2003, 09:20 AM
How appalling! The nerve of those parents! They honestly think they can take legal action and have the dog removed? Hope the talk to a lawyer first!!

RICHARD
05-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by yorkster

no, make that 2 words: UNBELIEVABLE AND SELFISH! :confused: :(

2?????;)

yorkster
05-07-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
2?????;)

Okay, 3 words :confused:

yorkster
05-07-2003, 03:06 PM
That whole "my child is my friend" and "I want them to have the things I didn't" school of parenting is just plain SCARY. My mother and father have made it quite clear that they are not our buddies. Even as adults, we know to treat them with respect.

Here too.
When I was growing-up, my sisters and I thought our parents were soooooooo mean because we had all these 'rules' and they made us work hard around the house, yard, etc.
Our friends had more freedom and less work to do.........always.

Within a year of moving out on my own, I was very glad that they had been that way. :)
And the scary part: I realised that I would do the same thing with my kids (someday)- something I had always said I wouldn't do! :eek:

RICHARD
05-07-2003, 03:25 PM

idle curiosity.....

since your parents cracked the whip and that made you more
prepared for being on your own, how did your 'less worked' friends turn out?

yorkster
05-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
idle curiosity.....

since your parents cracked the whip and that made you more
prepared for being on your own, how did your 'less worked' friends turn out?

Well, there is only one that I am still friends with, and she turned out fine. She had a rough several years though before turning her life around.

There are 2 others that I don't really see too often anymore. One of them married a control freak and is pretty unhappy. The other is not too responsible- doesn't hold a job for too long. :(

RICHARD
05-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Well, there is only one that I am still friends with, and she turned out fine. She had a rough several years though before turning her life around.

There are 2 others that I don't really see too often anymore. One of them married a control freak and is pretty unhappy. The other is not too responsible- doesn't hold a job for too long. :(

one of my 'underworked' friends worked in an 'adult novelty'
factory......

kinda funny putting that on a resume, eh????

lol!!

marysmerrycats
05-08-2003, 03:52 AM
well I think of course the kid has the right to have his dog there, just a like blind person or whatever reason they need the dogs help. I don't know how the parents could complain, unless the dog is not groomed well, bath etc. I would not object to the dog being in the classroom, or in the cafeteria either, but I don't think I would like the idea of it shaking its fur all over in the cafeteria. some people are extremely allergic to dogs, to where they can get an asthma attack brought on from allergies.

but I don't think that would be the case for most the kids, and the ones that had a serious allergy should be moved to another class. I would do that rather than complain about the dog, and i would let people know thats why the kid was moved to another class, not because i don't like dogs...

mugsy
05-12-2003, 10:58 AM
I couldn't take it any more. I emailed the superintendant of the school district and told him that I supported the child being able to keep the dog at school. Those stupid parents made me angry.

Cincy'sMom
05-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Good for you Molly!!!

Logan
05-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Good for you, Molly. Sometime that is the only way!!!! I'm glad you spoke your peace. :)

mugsy
05-12-2003, 02:44 PM
The super just emailed me and here's his response....

Thanks for your input, i believe we have resolved the issue -- the dog stays!

YEAH!!!!

KYS
05-13-2003, 07:02 AM
posted by mugsy: The super just emailed me and here's his response....
Thanks for your input, i believe we have resolved the issue -- the dog stays!

Ditto YEAH!!!! from me too.
That is great news. :D

RICHARD
05-13-2003, 11:13 AM
another victory for the common man!

Cincy'sMom
05-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Yeah for the dog!!!! Thanks for the update Molly!

marysmerrycats
05-15-2003, 11:21 AM
:) :) :)

carole
05-24-2003, 06:52 AM
Well glad this one got resolved, i was with you on this one mary, and was hoping they had heard of the word COMPROMISE, because the well being of everyone needed to be considered, glad it got sorted /

IttyBittyKitty
05-26-2003, 07:06 AM
Yay for the doggy and his special owner! Good on you!

:)

Here too.
When I was growing-up, my sisters and I thought our parents were soooooooo mean because we had all these 'rules' and they made us work hard around the house, yard, etc.

Within a year of moving out on my own, I was very glad that they had been that way. :)
And the scary part: I realised that I would do the same thing with my kids (someday)- something I had always said I wouldn't do! :eek:

Amen to that!!! My mother struck an unusual compromise with rearing me. I was always mature for my years, so in many ways, we interacted more like sisters than mother and daughter. On the other hand, however, Mum also ensured that I respected her as a parent and she raised me to be the best possible person I can be. She certainly expected us to do our share of the housework! When I left home, she refused to coddle me, setting me free into the Big Scary World - and I am ever thankful for it.

I could ramble on for years about how great a parent she was, but it would probably bore you all!

yorkster
05-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by IttyBittyKitty

Amen to that!!! My mother struck an unusual compromise with rearing me. I was always mature for my years, so in many ways, we interacted more like sisters than mother and daughter. On the other hand, however, Mum also ensured that I respected her as a parent and she raised me to be the best possible person I can be. She certainly expected us to do our share of the housework! When I left home, she refused to coddle me, setting me free into the Big Scary World - and I am ever thankful for it.

I could ramble on for years about how great a parent she was, but it would probably bore you all!

that's a great compliment to your Mom!
there are so many people that can not say that.