PDA

View Full Version : does anyone show their dog?

kai
05-04-2003, 12:42 PM
I just saw this LONNNNGG marathon on tv about dogs and their owners going to shows and getting points and stuff...Does anyone here do that? I was just curious to find out a bit more about this stuff...

Crikit
05-04-2003, 01:15 PM
I don't, I have no interest in it. I'd much rather do agility with the dogs. But apparently Tama is a Canadian Champion, I think he got it when he was still a pup.

kai
05-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Yea...I'd much rather do agility but after watching the marathon, I realized that it was really competitive..and I just love competetive stuff. If I do get into showing dogs, it probably won't be with Kai because his ears would probably be a fault. Kai's still wonderful anyways =]

*LabLoverKEB*
05-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Yes, I am going to show a very, very close friend's beautiful English Springer Spaniel, Bella.

Karen
05-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Dixieland Dancer shows her Goldens, you could PM her questions! :) My cousin's daughter is beginning to show their Golden Retriever, Sandy, too.

There's a wonderful book, http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0446678058.01._PE30_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg Going for the Blue by Roger Caras, that anyone who wants to get into showing their dogs should read. It may be in your local library, or it's on Amazon.com here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446678058/qid=1052076244/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-2488317-8988850)

*LabLoverKEB*
05-04-2003, 08:00 PM
I edited my above post, I do not yet show her, she is way to young, she is still as bouncy as can be, and I still do not compleatley understand anything that goes one in the show dog world! Can anyone give me a few good sites, that give good info, about the rules, and what you do in the ring? Thanks!:) ;)

gkristian
05-05-2003, 01:53 AM
I wouldn't mind showing Foxy but he is a bit too big. He is 5 or 6cm bigger then a normal male Sheltie

lute
05-05-2003, 01:38 PM
i don't but when i'm old enough i hope to show some dogs. i first have to get a registered dog. i want to show huskies or malamutes.

my friend shows her yorkies,and another friend of mine shows her huskies and just had a litter of pups. so cute. they are too much for me to buy one though. $500. they have 12 champions in their bloodline.

oodlesofpoodles
05-05-2003, 04:43 PM
You can go to www.akc.org they have great info on starting to show dogs. As for you younger ones. They have a great Jr. Showmanship program. There are many things that you can show a dog in Confromation, Obe. Agility, Field events , Flyball etc. All can be very competative. Expect a lot of work and training in all showing. Also check your phone book to see if you have a local kennel club in your area. You can also go to Jack Onofrio dog shows on the internet and see if there is an upcoming show in your area and make plans to go. Showing dogs in any event can be fun and awarding. Good luck to both of you.

I show my dog in confromation. But the father to my dog is an agility champion and holds six titles.

Aspen and Misty
05-05-2003, 05:54 PM
I don't show any pf my dogs. But Teddy was a show dog, untill we found out he was "imperfect" and had to come to live with us :D best thign that ever happened to us! And he is where I get my love for Shelite's and he is why I want to breed them, I love my Teddy bear. :D

Ash