PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations???

10-06-2000, 11:49 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations about products for your car that prevent all the dog hair and dirt flying around the car? I know it sounds weird but I have a 2-door car and my dogs ride in the backseat when we travel and when the shake their hair flies all over the car. It becomes a real choke-fest by the time the four-hour drive is over. We don't have an SUV or truck so we can't put them in kennels when we travel which I know would be safer (those pet seat belts are a joke too - my dogs only got tangled up in them... recommendations on that subject would be gladly received too!) so we have no choice but to have them ride in the backseat. They love it and we stop frequently to let them out and get them water. They are great to travel with - just extremely hairy!!! Please send any suggestions my way.. we have a trip coming up in a few days!

Thanks - doggiemom

RachelJ
10-07-2000, 01:54 PM
This is a rough one. I guess I would take a three step approach. Before leaving I would vacuum the car to make sure I got rid of any excess dog hair that was there from before, I would brush and comb the dogs well to get rid of loose hair on them and I would take a light weight twin size bedspread and throw is over the back seat. (This one may be difficut because you need some manner of attaching it, tucking it in or whatever so it covers the seat and back of the seat and so the dogs won't have it on the floor in 2 seconds.) Then when you have a rest stop, you could remove the spread, and shake it out good. (A windy day helps.) I've used the bedspread technique over our couch and it works well, but I know the back seat of a car is a little different. Have fun on your trip.

10-07-2000, 07:34 PM
Thank you very much for your advice. I do cover the seats when we travel but stupidly I have never brushed them before a trip. They shed so much that it always seemed useless. The girls will be getting brushed out very soon and then again before we leave. Too bad one of my girls likes the play "dead bug" when I brush her and she covers herself in more dirt by rolling on the ground. She looks pretty funny but it's sad because she is so timid. I wish I knew what happened to her to make her that way. Thanks again for your help. It's great advice. I'm pulling out all of the blankets and sheets I have right now http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

teena
10-09-2000, 08:15 AM
My theory is: I'm not completely dressed unless I'm covered in dog hair! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Sudilar
10-09-2000, 10:01 AM
Teena,
Ditto...Especially in shedding seasons.
Su

AdoreMyDogs
10-09-2000, 12:40 PM
Hi Doggiemom,

In July I bought a great carseat cover from this company: www.carscapes.com (http://www.carscapes.com)
I am not sure if they have car sizes (I have an SUV) but I suggest you call them up and see. I compared prices and theirs seemed like the highest quality and lowest price car seat cover that I could find. If they don't have any seat covers for a car perhaps you might give them a call and ask them if they know of any companies that have a size for you. I have not taken mine out of my car since I bought it, it looks really good and it prevents me from having to worry about wiping off Graham's dirty feet and wet body before he jumps in. Plus it's real easy to vacuum off. My SUV is a lease so it's something I could not do without!
Hope this helps http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

-Leslie

10-13-2000, 04:55 PM
Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it. And, I do agree, I wouldn't know what to do with my life if it wasn't covered in dog hair!! My trip went well and my 4-month old car has officially been christened by dog hair and puke!! I will check out that website also. Thanks for the suggestion!

sammi
10-13-2000, 08:47 PM
Hi, this is my first time posting. What has finally worked for shedding dog hair for me -is using a VERY fine grain sandpaper. I realize this may sound harsh but have had no problems using on my new couch or van seats etc. it dosen't actually pick up the hair but as you run the paper across the material it collects it all together & is easy to pick up. Hope this helps.