PDA

View Full Version : did u know this................i did not

carole
05-03-2003, 03:21 PM
I was watching this programme the other night, on Istanbul, a place i never imagined i would want to visit, how wrong can u be, what a fabulous place it is, lots of shopping yeah, very cheap and the people there seem to really enjoy life, but the main thing that really attracted me was the fact they LOVE CATS, yes there are lots of strays running around, BUT they are all WELL LOOKED AFTER by the people, they love cats because mohammad did, i guess thats a religous belief , but hey how neat, just thought for those who did not know i would pass on that little fact.

moosmom
05-03-2003, 07:11 PM
If only people from the United States would take the hint from countries like New Zealand, Saudi Arabia and Pakastan!

HoRsELUvR
05-03-2003, 07:22 PM
that would be neat to have som many cats around if they were well cared for.

kimlovescats
05-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Very interesting... thanks for the info!

cheetahgirl
05-03-2003, 11:57 PM
Oh my yes. We have got too many cats here and we love them too too much. :) I don't have cat of my own, but in my backyard, everyday, 7-8 cats come. We buy cat food and also chicken and boil it and give to them everyday. I play with them, very friendly stray cats. Last year we had mother cat give birth in our yard. She had litter of 6. She took very good care for them and they grew in front of us. Every now and then they come back, but not everyday. We love the cats here so much. Whenever we go out, maybe we are greeted by 10-20 cats. If we go for long walk, even more. If we go to restaurant, in the outdoor chairs, cats come and we feed them. Indoor in high class restaurants, they are not allowed, but many times you will find one or two sneak in. :D No one shoos them out. We don't spay/neuter cats here because everyone cares for them. They are not negligted animals, hungry on the streets. They are very friendly, loving, and well fed. This is in big cities in rich/mid-class areas, but I don't know of poorer areas where even people are so poor and don't have much to eat or live on. :(

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-04-2003, 02:16 AM
It is a very nice sentiment that the strays in the Middle East are so well looked after, but through my involvement with the BSPCA in Bahrain I unfortunately see the other side of the story. Whilst there ARE a large number of people who care for, feed, and assist spay-and-release programms (I am one of them) there are also a large number of people who regard the stray cats as a nuisance.

There is a large amount of cruelty here (Just this Thursday I saw a beautuful cat with three gorgeous kittens at our shelter - some youths had got hold of her and poked one of her eyes out. They were busy with the second one when a kind soul put himself in danger to rescue her. Amazingly she trusts the humans at the shelter, and will purr loudly and allow you to stroke her).

I wish I could say this is an isolated incident but it is not. There is a large amount of neglect due to ignorance, but also a large amount of deliberate cruelty. If a person is convicted of animal cruelty, the maximum sentence is 3 months OR a fine equal to approx $53 US. This is NOT a deterrant!!

Also there is a mentality that pets are disposable - a puppy or kitten is CUTE - when it grows up and the kids are no longer interested, it can be abandoned at the side of the road (the lucky ones are brought to the shelter).

I recently stopped behind a station wagon which had pulled off the road next to some waste ground. (I dont know why - I just felt compelled to stop). A man climbed out with a cardboard box turned it upsdie down, and started shaking it. I asked him what he had - he said "stupid cat - makes scratches - you go away now". At this point a scrawny looking kitten fell out of the box and ran under his car. I offered to buy the cat from him - offering him whatever money I had on me. At this point three other men climbed out the car and made it very clear that I should mind my own business! I saw the kitten run into a pile of old car tyres, and I circled the block until the men had gone, then went back to look for the cat, but I couldn't find it.

I am NOT saying this applies to everyone, nor is everyone cruel to animals, but unfortunately, the four words which I head EVERY day pretty much sum up the attitude here "IT'S ONLY AN ANIMAL".

It's up to those of us who love animals to do whatever we can, and try not to be overwhelmed by the size of the problem..... if you "only" make a difference to one animal, you have done more than most people!

05-04-2003, 03:15 AM
You are so right, Carole! We visited Istanbul afew years ago, and we lOVED it there!! People are so friendly there, always willing to help when the notice you arelooking for something! There are so many beautiful places to see; and, of course, lots of cats, he he;)
if any of you ever consider to go there too, do like us: book a hotel in the centre of the old town, not in the new touristic neighbourhood! It is MUCH cheaper, AND within walking distance of all the important sites, like the Aya Sofia! :D

http://www.istanbulcityguide.com/pictures/images/ayasofya1_b.jpg

rosethecopycat
05-04-2003, 08:10 AM
I've been to Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Cyprus, Oman, Yemen, etc.
And from what I saw cats are surviving but are not 'cared for' as we know it. They have no Vet care or stable nutrition. (I know that's not the case for every cat)

I fed many a hungry cat and was powerless to do anything more than giving them a square meal. (My job had time restraints)

I still think about those cats and it has really spurred me to help cats where I'm at, through fostering.

moosmom
05-04-2003, 08:23 AM
I offered to buy the cat from him

I wouldn't have been so nice :mad: :mad: I would've threatened to call the authorities.

there is a mentality that pets are disposable

SO true! It disgusts me!

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by rosethecopycat
I've been to Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Cyprus, Oman, Yemen, etc.
And from what I saw cats are surviving but are not 'cared for' as we know it. They have no Vet care or stable nutrition. (I know that's not the case for every cat)

I fed many a hungry cat and was powerless to do anything more than giving them a square meal. (My job had time restraints)

I still think about those cats and it has really spurred me to help cats where I'm at, through fostering.

I think you have obviously spent enough time in these countries to realise the enormity of the problem!

carole
05-04-2003, 07:21 PM
i was rather saddened to read your thread rosethecopycat, i guess you cant always believe everything u read or hear about, that thought obviously entered my head, yes maybe they are fed well, but what about flea treatment, vet care etc, i guess if they arent going hungry and people in general are kind to them in these cat loving countries, it is better than nothing at all. as from what ally wrote this is not always the case, gosh its shocking to think people can be so cruel, what is wrong with their mentality, that they cant understand an animal can feel pain just as we do.
I was feeling sick reading what u wrote, these thoughts are hard to push aside , i just cant imagine the suffering, i dont even want to.
Its the same with the suffering to humans especially children going on , its sickens me so, have you people heard about the young camel jockeys in bangladesh, this is indeed disgusting, if only we could do something to stop it all, all the CRUELTY in the world...............:(

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-05-2003, 02:49 AM
Carole, you are right about both children and animals suffering........ I am sorry if my post upset you, but my concern is that, if people do not know there is a problem, they will not contribute towards a solution. (Even if not financially then at least with positive thoughts and prayers for those people who face the cruelty daily, and try to help).

I know that the cruelty I describe in my post does not refer to everyone. I spent my first 6 months in Bahrain in blissfull ignorance - then I got Ally, and became involved with the BSPCA, and my whole perspective on things changed. In South Africa I supported children's charities (I still do, through debit orders from my account, even though I haven't lived there for nearly 3 years), but when I realised the size of the "animal problem" I made a decision to support an animal charity whilst I am here, and try to make a difference.

Again I am REALLY sorry if I upset anyone with my post - it's a subject that I feel very strongly about - and maybe I get carried away sometimes!????:(

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-05-2003, 06:37 AM
I don't really want to get involved in a socio-economic debate, but my opinion is as follows:

- Whilst it IS true that Bahrain is an "oil-rich" country, my experience is that this merely makes the gap between the HAVES and the HAVE NOTS so much bigger.

- I agree that there are millions of people living in abject poverty (yes, in Bahrain too). I will always do what I can to help, HOWEVER I will never accept that poverty in itself excuses in any way cruelty to any other living being.

- I guess what I am trying to say is if a person CAN'T help, or WON'T help, then at the very least they should not make the problem worse by doing harm.

- Cruelty to animals and children is rampant the world over. Look at the recent exposures of Child Slavery in Camel racing - the camel owners are amongt the elite in these countries, and certainly cannot use either poverty or ignorance as an excuse.

Popcornbird - I fully agree with you that where there is human suffering, animals come second. However each one of us makes a personal choice with regards to which charities we choose to support. I buy clothes, food and craft items from roadside sellers, and then donate the items back to our shelters charity shop, so I am able to help both. I am grateful every day that myself and my family can afford a safe clean place to live, clean water and good medical care. I am also grateful that I am healthy and educated, because this enables me to work and earn a salary, a part of which I choose spend on animal welfare.:)

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

carole
05-05-2003, 05:56 PM
You both make some very valid points, and i agree about the human suffering, i have just recently been watching another documentary on the camel jockeys, its appalling.
We need to try our best to stamp out all cruelty, but how we go about it i dont know.
They say education is the way to go, i wonder, maybe that will help those who do what they do out of sheer ignorance.
Dont worry about upsetting me with your thread, i chose to read it, and although i find it emotionally hard to take, one cannot just pretend it does not exist and sit on ones chuff and do nothing about it.
GOOD ON YOU allymommy for doing your best, thats all you can do,you both have vast experience in these countries so speak with knowledge, it wont go away if we ignore it, I TOTALLY AGREE.

IttyBittyKitty
05-06-2003, 07:31 AM
...Your thread was upsetting, but that is the harsh reality of life. Most of the humans out there are lowlife scum, and then there are those who deliberately hurt the innocent (animals, children, the mentally impaired, etc). It is a disgusting way to exist, and I think its only going to get worse with parents being too lazy or too afraid to properly discipline their children. Our future innocents will pray victim to this lackadaisical attitude towards education. All we can do is teach our own children, and those around us, to properly respect all animals, people and property. If many years of effort saves one kitten, puppy or child from cruelty then it's worth it.