PDA

View Full Version : house training

blonde72461
09-14-2000, 11:08 AM
I would like any ideals
how to house break a poodle?????
I have been told to use the pee pads
and I have been told to take him outside every two hours to the same spot...
Not sure witch way to do this,,never house broken a pet before..Could use any help I can get....Thanks http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
Sherry

dogncatluvr
09-14-2000, 12:37 PM
Do you plan on making "outside" the permanent pee spot eventually? Then don't use the pee pads, take him outside from the beginning. Take him outside first thing in the morning, after every nap, about 20 minutes or so after being fed, and just before bed of course. If the puppy doesn't nap often, take puppy out every 2 hours. Tell him to "go pee" or "go poop" or whatever words you want to use, and then when he goes, praise him for doing it!
If you use the words every time your puppy goes outside you'll eventually train your puppy to"go pee" or "go poop" on command!
Poodles are very smart, too smart sometimes, and they learn very quickly! Good luck!

Xochitl's Mom
09-16-2000, 10:14 AM
The advice from the previous poster is just what I would have said...so I'm just going to share a funny housebreaking story instead.
My best friend was given a puppy as a gift from her boyfriend. After every nap, meal or play session Cindy would take Nadia to the door, sit her down, put on her leash and take her for a potty walk. Nadia is a very smart dog (chow/cocker mix) and soon caught on that if she went and sat by the door she'd get to go for a walk. ;-)
I went to visit Cindy and stayed overnight. Everytime Nadia went to the door, Cindy dutifully got the leash and took her out for a short walk (just down the street for a house or two). Cindy spent more time walking than visiting...it was very funny!
Eventually, Nadia didn't need quite so many walks and now, years later, Nadia is very well housetrained, and she LOVES walks!
:-D Bettina

PS - if this is a small dog, you could always try the new "dog litter" from Purina.

Xochitl's Mom
09-16-2000, 10:15 AM
The advice from the previous poster is just what I would have said...so I'm just going to share a funny housebreaking story instead.
My best friend was given a puppy as a gift from her boyfriend. After every nap, meal or play session Cindy would take Nadia to the door, sit her down, put on her leash and take her for a potty walk. Nadia is a very smart dog (chow/cocker mix) and soon caught on that if she went and sat by the door she'd get to go for a walk. ;-)
I went to visit Cindy and stayed overnight. Everytime Nadia went to the door, Cindy dutifully got the leash and took her out for a short walk (just down the street for a house or two). Cindy spent more time walking than visiting...it was very funny!
Eventually, Nadia didn't need quite so many walks and now, years later, Nadia is very well housetrained, and she LOVES walks!
:-D Bettina

PS - if this is a small dog, you could always try the new "dog litter" from Purina.

Xochitl's Mom
09-16-2000, 10:18 AM
sorry about duplicate posting! first time I hit "submit" I got a message saying things had timed out so I tried again.

:-P Bettina

Pam
09-16-2000, 12:20 PM
I just had to respond to this, being that I have been a poodle lover for many years. I have had 2 toys, 1 miniature and 1 standard and they were all VERY easy to housebreak. They are an extremely intelligent breed. One of my toys was actually housebroken in a weekend!! The only other suggestion I would add to the excellent ones above, is that after meals is an important time to take your pup outside in addition to several other times during the day and the praising is very important! Also if you haven't invested in a crate that is definitely the way to go (for overnight or when you are at work or away). MOST dogs will not soil in the crate and this training helps them "hold it" so to speak. I say "most" because my miniature did once mess in the crate but she was the only one. Lots of luck with your pup and give him/her a big hug for me!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif