PDA

View Full Version : Bonnie (foster) had her babies

jenluckenbach
05-02-2003, 04:46 AM
Bonnie had her babies! She had 5 but 2 were dead. They appear to be 2 tabby's like herself and one blue with possible tabby markings.
Since she has not learned to trust me completely yet, any advice as to when to touch them would be appreciated.
I will do my best when it comes to pictures but I do not have a digital and I don't want to be "In her face" too much.

PayItForward
05-02-2003, 05:20 AM
Congratulations Bonnie on your new kittens. :)

RIP little kittens that didn't make it, you can wait for your mum and littermates on RB. :(

PS. Jen, You need a digital camera with all those beautiful cats. That way we'll end up with more photos.

HayleyRosie
05-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Congratulations on the arrival of your new kittens.

So sorry to hear about the two little ones that were taken to the Rainbow Bridge.

I think that we both need to get a digital camera Jen. I would love to see more pictures of your furbabies.

moosmom
05-02-2003, 06:15 AM
Jen,

Congratulations! The best thing to do is give them about a week. Then start handling them as much as possible to expose them to humans. Always make sure you praise and pet mama. This will gain her trust.

Pictures please!! ;)

IttyBittyKitty
05-02-2003, 06:21 AM
Yay! Bonnie had her little babies - I didn't think she was so close, considering she had a littler of seven. Milo had a littler of seven once, and towards the end she looked like a football on legs. It is sad about the two stillborn babies, but they will have gone straight to RB :)

I agree with Moosmum - leave it about a week or so - long enough for you to establish more trust with mama kitty, and not so long that baby kitties find it difficult to trust humans. Hopefully, unless Mama has any issues, touching them won't be necessary until then anyway. I do know what an amazing feeling it is to touch the tiny babies! Milo had a difficult delivery once and I had to help her deliver with the vet's instructions - handling a kitten that has just been born is totally unforgettable and not something you normally are able to do.

kimlovescats
05-02-2003, 06:59 AM
Congratulations on the new babies..... so sorry that 2 of them didn't make it!:(

Jen, I started touching the babies immediately!!! I didn't pick them up alot and carry them off, but I gently touched them and rearranged them to be sure they were nursing well!!! It is an opportune time to earn mom's trust .... as she is pretty much in a "helpless" situation. Just speak softly and try to pet her gently each time you approach her and babies!

Yes, we WILL be needing pics soon!!! ;)

Pam
05-02-2003, 07:08 AM
Congratulations to Pet Talk's newest foster mommy - Jen! I wish I could see these little sweethearts in person but I know you will somehow get pictures to us. What a sad thing that all of the little siblings didn't make it, but I know that the remaining 3 will thrive with you looking after them and teaching 'mom' how to care for them. What a thrilling thing to be a part of and so rewarding. Congratulations Bonnie - you and your babies are in the best hands and don't pay any attention to your new human who I am sure is going to be hanging around any chance she gets. :)

Barbara
05-02-2003, 07:58 AM
Congratulations to Bonnie and her babies -and I am sorry for the 2 who didn't make it....

Of course we would like pictures but at the moment it is more important that the proud mommy feels herself as undisturbed as can be:) :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-02-2003, 08:18 AM
Congrats on the new arrivals. Sorry about the two who didnt make it - but they are in a wonderful, safe place now.

I have never seen new-born or very young kittens - it must be an amazing experience. Thanks for allowing us to share this with you - looking forward to pics as soon as you are able to get some!

Ally send gentle little Kitty Kisses to the babas!

bluekat
05-02-2003, 08:29 AM
COngratulations on the new babies! and sorry to hear about the ones that went to the Rainbow Bridge:(
I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you on making the mother trust you, I haven't had this experience before. You could try talking softly to the mother, and try to touch her a little. But have lots of patience, when she finally trusts you to pet her, try touching her babies then. Good luck with them!
Please post pics ASAP!!!Can't wait to see them:D :) :D :)

Cataholic
05-02-2003, 09:52 AM
I see the pm I sent you was too late!!! Congrats on the kittens. I would make sure you washed your hands very very well before and after handling any newborns, and I don't think I would do much with them until they have settled into a routine. I would make sure each one seems to be getting enough food, and would seriously consider boosting the food with a baby formula. You have to be careful not to overfeed them, though.

If Bonnie isn't taking to mothering, and that is one reason I would leave them alone for awhile, make sure you are stimulating them for poop/pee purposes. If you touch/interfere too much, I am afraid Bonnie MIGHT abandon them. So, use caution. If you see they are all getting along ok, I would leave them be. I don't think I would photograph her/them...might be too much for her, survival instincts and all might make her choose....

We will just have to wait and see. I would make sure she is doing her thing, and you are just 'at the ready' should she need input. She will need extra food/water, nourishment! Good luck.

ramanth
05-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Congrats to Bonnie and her new babies!

And I'm so sorry to hear that two are now at the RB. :(

RIP sweet babies.

I hope all fairs well for you and the rest of the litter. :)

K & L
05-02-2003, 10:51 AM
How exciting!!!! I can't wait to see them!

marysmerrycats
05-02-2003, 11:37 AM
congratulations on the babies! so sad though that 2 were dead, I wonder , does this happen alot in litters? I also wonder , how does the mother react to something like that? I mean, does she sniff/lick them, or act nervous?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Yipee!! More new kittens!! I have no experience at all with newborn kittens, so I wouldn't even think of offering advice. But I think you've got a lot of good suggestions already.

Can't wait for pics. I know you'll do your best to get them to us without scaring momma. :)

Congratulations!!! :D :D

jenluckenbach
05-02-2003, 01:49 PM
OMG :eek:
Bonnie has 4 kittens in with her this afternoon. She had a very large litter for her first time. :eek: Now I have 4 sweeties to look after.
Mommy is doing a very good job so far. :D

Chinadoll
05-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Poor little babies that didn't make it...RIP.

Congrats on the others. The sooner you handle the babies the better. Maybe not picking them up right away, but touching them as long as the momma doesn't seriously freak I think would be ok.

Don't wait too long to interact with them...the older they are, they'll learn distrust of humans from the momma. But I'm sure it will all work out fine.

Ohhhhh...they must be so cute and tiny!

bluekat
05-02-2003, 02:02 PM
OMG, she had one more? ohhhh, I can't wait to see pics!:D
Have you touched the babies yet? Is she starting to trust you?
Good luck with them!:)

Karen
05-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Surprise! 4 healthy kittens, one good Momma, two wary humans and 13 waiting-to-teach-'em-all-stuff foster siblings! Jen, your place is catful! :)

Congratulations sweet Bonniemommy! :)

It is sad that two were stillborn, but poor Bonnie obviously had a rough time on the street during her first weeks on pregnancy, before she got to your house to be fed and spoiled.

batgirl1980
05-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Oh CONGRATS JEN!!!!!!!! I'm so happy she had her babies, and that she had 4 healthy ones!!

You're going to have sooooo much fun with those bundles of joy..

Just let them get settled, keep gaining mommies trust, make sure everything is going ok for her, and prolly in a week start handling them, and you should be ok thatway!

CONGRATS WHOO HOO!!!

Steffi N
05-02-2003, 08:15 PM
I am happy that Bonnie is taking good care of her babies. I wish all of them had made it. I know you will be a wonderful foster mommy. I hope we can see pictures before too long.

kimlovescats
05-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Congratulations on #4. I just had two moms with brand new babies here ... touched them all immediately ... no problems .... moms trusted me completely. You've seen all 7 babies! ;)
Also, don't forget .... Lacie was feral as well.... she didn't abandon her kittens because I touched them. That's what they say about baby birds!!! hahaha :eek:

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-02-2003, 10:36 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
CIGARS ALL AROUND
awwww
I wish we could see them... actually I wish they were living at my house!!!!! ;)
You are so lucky to get to see them grow up!! You are going to have sooo much fun...:D

rosethecopycat
05-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Congratulations.

*dancing* for the newborns

& *songs* for the ones crossing the Rainbow Bridge.

boscibo
05-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Oooh...post pictures please! Sorry to hear about the two that didn't make it. I have only had one cat that had kittens, she had six and one died shortly after birth. Her first litter, too. I still mourn that kitten. Some kittens are too good for this world.

I would love to have a litter of kittens, but I don't think I could handle all that kittenish energy...aww..what am I saying, I didn't think I could handle one kitten (Hanna) and now she's almost a year old. Many, many grey hairs out of that situation.

Are you going to keep them all?

krazyaboutkatz
05-03-2003, 01:59 AM
Congratulations!!!!:D I'm so sorry to hear about the 2 kittens being stillborn. :( I'm so glad that she has 4 healthy kittens. I'm sure you'll do just fine with both mother and babies. I'd also love to see pictures of them. :)

Miss Meow
05-03-2003, 03:17 AM
Congrats Jen! Bonnie made it to your caring home just in time :)

I'm sorry about the two babies who didn't make it. They'll be watching over the four who did.

I can't offer any advice as I've never had kittens in my house, but you have some sage advice from other cat 'aunties' already :) Good luck and I look forward to hearing about their progress.

jenluckenbach
05-03-2003, 05:34 AM
Bonnie is a good mom. Her babies seem healthy. Ans her appetite has sure risen (finally). For a while there I was worried she was not getting enough calories in her system. My first attemt as pictures did not come out too well, but I'm trying. I'll HURRY !!!

jenluckenbach
05-03-2003, 06:12 AM
I hand fed Bonnie some canned food inside her carrier. She will trust VERY soon!:D

K & L
05-03-2003, 07:01 AM
It's such a rewarding feeling when they start trusting you. That's why my husband and I love working with ferals, one no one else seems to bother with them and we like giving them a chance in life, two when they come around the feeling is too hard to describe! Keep up your excellent work!!

PayItForward
05-03-2003, 07:06 AM
Good on you, Bonnie. Learning to trust again. :)

IttyBittyKitty
05-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Wow! What a surprise! Good to hear that Bonnie is eating more - she will trust you soon Jen, after all, you have given her a lovely warm place to raise her little babies. Keep us updated! :)

kimlovescats
05-03-2003, 07:46 PM
See.... progress already! ;)