PDA

View Full Version : new cat apprehension

pyrrhic
05-01-2003, 10:40 PM
Hello,
Just recently I have brought my cat to stay with my roomate and myself. She has three cats, one that is 2-3years old and two 1 year old cats (the later from the same litter). Nimue, my cat who is about 3 years old, seems very scared and will hide all the time, with the occasional hiss and growl at any of the other cats. Who also hiss or growl back.
It has been almost a week now and I'm worried that they will not get along. If anyone has any hints or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Tom

PayItForward
05-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk. :)

I have no advice but I'm sure one of the more experienced owners will posted.

PS. We like pictures of pets on this site Hint Hint

BastetsMum
05-02-2003, 04:53 AM
I have no adivce but I am sure the multi cat owners will :)

What does kitty look like? *hint hint*

jenluckenbach
05-02-2003, 06:00 AM
Don't worry. 1 week is a relatively short time. Since he is 1 cat going into the territory of 3 resident cats, he is at the dissadvantage. Make sure he has a safe place that he can go to get away when needed. I always start my new additions (and that is what he is to this house) in a room alone and away from the resident cats. He will have a chance to learn his new environment a little before he needs to meet his new room mates. Then introducing 1 cat at a time to him starting with the one who will be the least threatened and the least threatening to him. Good luck, keep us posted and ask more questions if you need to.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk, Tom. :-) As you can see by Jen's signature, she has introduced many cats, so I would follow her advice for the best results.

1 week is definitely a very short time for them to get used to each other. There has to be an entire re-arrangement of the kitty hierarchy, and that usually takes awhile, so the best advice I can give is to just have patience. I'm sure things will work themselves out....it might just take some time. :)

pyrrhic
05-02-2003, 11:26 AM
Thank you everyone for the encouragement :)

slick
05-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Welcome Tom. You'll find this website very addictive in time. Good advice from Jen. All I can add is, do you have a camera?? We love to see pictures of everyone's furbabies.:D

HayleyRosie
05-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Welcome. Slick said it! This place is very addictive. You will love it here. Pet Talk people are great!

RedHedd
05-08-2003, 02:13 PM
I'm going through this right now. It takes time. First week, completely separate them in their own rooms. Make sure each has their own food, water, litter and bedding. Start getting them used to the other's scents by rubbing a towel on each and swapping the towels or exchanging cat bedding. Second week introduce one to the other -- one in a carrier for safety for about 10-20 minutes a day under your supervision. Third week let them spend about an hour a day under supervision, no carrier. Fourth week, let 'er rip. I'm just in week one, introducing a new male to a female I've only had for two weeks. It's amazing how used to me and territorial she got in that short time. It's stressful, but I can tell they're starting to get used to the fact that there's another kitty in the house. Ah kids!

Amanda
05-08-2003, 02:54 PM
I JUST went through this and I remember how anxious I was...I felt like it was never going to work out and I was completely stressed. I got two new kitties at the same time ---but from different places so same adjustment stuff...and someone told me the same thing other folks are telling you...1) make sure that your kitty has their own safe place the others can't get to (e.g. own room) for a bit and gradually introduce them to each other...a lot of times they will "play" / "explore" each other under the door (sniffing and reaching out etc) which is a nice gradual way for them to get to know each other ... and 2) that it would TAKE TIME...I had the same expectations you did - that it would take a week or two...well, I think it took about a month - 6 weeks before the growling and hissing completely stopped ...(probably about 3 weeks until it even decreased).

Also, I recommend that you spend some extra alone/cuddle time with your kitty to reassure him/her that even though the environment may be different that she/he can trust that your relationship/bond will not be compromised! Mine are doing great but are still working through some of these issues (I've had them now for about 2.5 months) so hang in there and you WILL see progress...PROMISE :)

RedHedd
05-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Ah I'm home now and here's the info AnimalSavers gave me:

1. Separate completely for one week.
2. Second week, introduce the new cat to the old cat for around 10 to 20 minutes while one is in a carrier. (Use Fancy Feast or tuna in the carrier to get the cat to go in, so it doesn't emotionally strain the cat and has a positive association.)
3. Third week, introduce for same period while supervising the cats WITHOUT a carrier.
4. Fourth week, introduce for around 1 hour supervised.
5. 5th week, go for it.
There's more helpful tips online. READ ALL ABOUT IT.
If done willy-nilly, it can create PERMANENT problems and conflicts. Just imagine how you'd feel if someone just moved into your apartment. It might be an angel or perfect soul mate, but you'd be defensive, pissed off, and feel totally invaded. Ditto for cats.

and then she sent me this link: <http://spca.quiknet.com/handou_1.HTM#IntroNewCat>

All very helpful info

pyrrhic
05-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Thank you all once again :-)
We have kept Nimue in our room with ehr own catfood dish and water dish and litterbox. There is still a little tension between the cats, but it has diminished dramatically since week one.
On a side note, I've done a kitty photo shoot and have them scanned. I shall post them shortly :-)