PDA

View Full Version : fishing?

marysmerrycats
05-01-2003, 07:06 PM
what do you think of fishing? it's a popular sport, but, isn't that cruelity to animals? I don't think I could fish anymore now, thinking of the last few minutes of a fish's life, gasping for air!

besides, even if I wantd to, my brothers won't take me fishing anymore because I catch bigger fish! hah, losers! jealous!

Kater
05-01-2003, 07:09 PM
I don't like fishing. I agree that it is cruel.

Uabassoon
05-01-2003, 07:18 PM
I don't like fishing either, but in all honesty how is it different from eating fish? If you go to a restaraunt and order fish it died in the same way. That's why I don't eat fish.

marysmerrycats
05-01-2003, 07:35 PM
I don't like fish... but it is differnet from watching it die! I eat meat but I don't go kill the cows.

marysmerrycats
05-01-2003, 07:36 PM
and I eat potatos but I don't go out and kill them!
I could never kill mr potato head, I might rearrange his face, but never kill him!!!:D :D :D

Uabassoon
05-01-2003, 07:42 PM
I realize that in general people don't go and personally kill a cow themselves everytime they eat a hamburger. But cruelty wise I don't see how someone else killing it makes it any less cruel. If you eat a fish it still had to die, it doesn't matter if you caught it and killed it or someone else did it.

But before I became a vegetarian I did enjoy fishing. In fact sometimes when I go home I still go fishing with my dad because he enjoys it. But I don't exactly fish I just accompany him. But we talk and bond and catch up on things, it's always very nice. Because to me it's really no different then going with my dad to the grocery store to buy a fish that somelse killed.

marysmerrycats
05-01-2003, 08:35 PM
still go fishing with my dad because he enjoys it.
see, where do people draw the line... if you go with him, isn't that condoning it?

it's really no different then going with my dad to the grocery store to buy a fish that somelse killed.
again, condoning?

Uabassoon
I am not meaning to start an argument or critcizing you, but I just wonder, where do we draw the line of what we believe in?
did I make sense?

Uabassoon
05-01-2003, 10:55 PM
Don't worry, I know you aren't starting an arugment with me, just expressing opinons. That's what I like about you. I am a vegetarian because it is right for me personally not because I think everyone else should do it too. I mean I would love it if everyone was a vegetarian, but when it comes down to it, that's not the case. Not sure if that makes any sense or not. People are entitled to their own opinions, and who I am to change them. It's not a matter of me not believing strongly or not strongly it just I have my opinons and everyone else has theirs. I'd never sleep if I tried to change other peoples opinons. So my family aren't vegetarians, that's their choice and their right. So if you want to call condoing I guess you can, I just see it more as letting people do their thing. Especially my family since they put up with all the crazy things I do.

Kater
05-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I realize that in general people don't go and personally kill a cow themselves everytime they eat a hamburger. But cruelty wise I don't see how someone else killing it makes it any less cruel. If you eat a fish it still had to die, it doesn't matter if you caught it and killed it or someone else did it.

I completely agree!!!!

As for "drawing lines" people have to do it where they are comfortable. I am proud of my ethics and am comfortable with where I draw my "lines." As long as people know the facts/reality/truth (key step!) and justify their actions to themselves, that's what's important.

marysmerrycats
05-02-2003, 12:58 AM
Uabassoon
yes, you made alot of sense.:)

Logan
05-02-2003, 08:57 AM
I like to fish! Some of my happiest memories of my childhood are those of the Saturdays I spent in the "swamp", fishing with my father and grandfather. I was their "little fisherman". :) Helen has had some similar experiences with my dad and her dad. What a great, quiet bonding time for kids and their fathers. I completely understand your willingness to go along with your dad, Uabassoon.

I grew up in a family of hunters too. I only hunted once, with my first husband, and mainly went because he wanted me to so I could see our Lab in action. The birds were safe with the two of us hunting. :o Chuck, the Lab, got so tired of waiting that he started retrieving other people's birds! Ha Ha!!

My feelings about fishing and hunting are mixed. I frankly didn't like the bird hunting and was never much help when it came to cleaning the birds or the fish. But I eat meat, including fish. But I also admire people with convictions strong enough to prevent them from doing it. How confusing was that? :o

Pam
05-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Logan

My feelings about fishing and hunting are mixed. I frankly didn't like the bird hunting and was never much help when it came to cleaning the birds or the fish. But I eat meat, including fish. But I also admire people with convictions strong enough to prevent them from doing it. How confusing was that? :o

Not confusing at all Logan! It makes sense to me. :) My son is an avid fisherman but mostly does catch and release. We have no hunters in the family and I have to admit that I have friends who go deer hunting and it would definitely not be something I could take part in. Then again I am hippocritical because I do enjoy a steak now and then. It's so easy to detach yourself when you don't do the killing. Yes, I bet this is as confusing as Logan's answer. :confused: I also admire those of your with convictions to stay away from meat. I guess we might all be healthier too if we did so.

catland
05-02-2003, 11:04 AM
I don't do much fishing, but I do occasionally go to the coast and go crabbing.

Where I draw the line is the idea of hunting or fishing for trophys instead of food. If you are feeding yourself or others, and you take the time to learn how to hunt or fish properly so that the creature that you kill for food has as swift a death as possible, then I can be ok with it.

Funny what a generation or two will do. My parents were both raised on farms in the midwest. They saw first hand where their meals came from.

RICHARD
05-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by catland
I don't do much fishing, but I do occasionally go to the coast and go crabbing.

my girlfriend would stay at home and crab---------at me!

the extent of my experience fishing is

one fish
two fish
red fish
blue fish:rolleyes:

Twisterdog
05-07-2003, 11:25 PM
If you eat meat or fish, you are responsible for an animal dying. It doesn't matter if you personally pulled the trigger or baited the hook ... or if you just went through the drive-through at McDonalds.

I have a big problem with people who are critical of those who hunt and fish ... while they are eating a hamburger or a chicken nugget. Hello?!

I'm not saying eating meat or hunting or fishing is wrong or right ... I just HATE hypocracy.

Kater
05-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I have a big problem with people who are critical of those who hunt and fish ... while they are eating a hamburger or a chicken nugget. Hello?!

Yup! No kidding!!

NoahsMommy
05-08-2003, 12:58 AM
Its funny you bring this up Mary, we were just having this conversation in the car last night!

I personally could never see an animal before I ate it. Like at resteraunts where you pick your fish or lobster....nope, couldn't do it. While I know the animal had to die for me, this makes it easier for me to swallow....literaly. ;)

I'm also one of those people who tells herself that my meat comes from the grocery store...some mixture of something the butcher mixes...not real animals. ;)

Fishing is the same as hunting....

marysmerrycats
05-08-2003, 03:28 AM

I don't so much have a problem with people if they eat meat, since I do, but since you can get the meat at the grocery store, then I could never watch it die, like fish and lobster.
I mean just making a sport out of it... thats what I meant.
I don't think I am a hypocrit

JGuitaristR
05-08-2003, 09:38 AM
I believe that fishing is cruel. It's like them pulling us under the water, drowing. They're drowning in the air and I hate to see that. I don't eat fish or meat. I went to a concert about a week ago and PETA was there, I got a sign from them, it's got a cute little pig on it, it says in big, bold letters, "DID YOUR FOOD HAVE A FACE? GO VEGETARIAN." That's posted in my window. I've been a vegetarian for 6 years now, I started when I was 10 for my love of animals and now I'm 16 and still a vegetarian. I love animals too much and to think with every chew, that what I'm eating, what was killed for my survival used to have life. They're not here anymore to enjoy beautiful days outside, like cows grazing in the fields. May sound stupid, but I think about stuff like that. Oh well.

Kater
05-08-2003, 10:24 AM
... I cannot fish without falling a little in self-respect ... always when I have done it I feel it would have been better had I not fished ... with every year I am less a fisherman ... at present I am no fisherman at all.
---Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854.

I thought this would be an appropriate quote to add to the discussion here.

RICHARD
05-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

Fishing is the same as hunting....

you can't shoot an animal with a fishing pole!!!
i found this out a while ago;)

catland
05-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Yet who do we love so dearly for pets but tiny little predators who love the thrill of the hunt.

RICHARD
05-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by catland
Yet who do we love so dearly for pets but tiny little predators who love the thrill of the hunt.

now you got me thinking,

fishing with a rifle and hunting with a fishing pole.....

bear hunting with a fishing pole, yeah, that would make it challenging!!!!:eek:

Uabassoon
05-08-2003, 03:51 PM
bear hunting with a fishing pole, yeah, that would make it challenging

Well it depends, would one actually have to bait and hook the line? or could you throw it like a spear?

RICHARD
05-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Well it depends, would one actually have to bait and hook the line? or could you throw it like a spear?

get close enough to beat him with it....that's the ticket!!!!:eek: :eek:

Twisterdog
05-13-2003, 10:20 PM
FREE TIBET! A $1.99 VALUE!

I think I've said this before ... but Richard, you crack me up! :D

RICHARD
05-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I think I've said this before ... but Richard, you crack me up! :D

in my bizarre world every thing needs to be clarified!!

i have seen this bumper sticker a few times before but it has no...
ah.......solution?....

so, i just finished off the thought.... you see it all the time.
like FREE REFILLS- .49 cent value.....

the saddest part is i entertain myself ALL the time. :rolleyes:

Kfamr
05-28-2003, 03:33 AM
I love to fish. It's fun. I never fish to eat it, i'm not really a fish person. My brother has a little lake behind his house that i'm still dying to fish in.. this fish are always jumping in the water lol. It's also fun to go fishing with my dad cause it's one thing we have in common.:)