PDA

View Full Version : do you agree with reckless breeding?

tikeyas_mom
04-30-2003, 03:48 PM
reckless meaning the only resons they breed are ....

1. income,

2. careless about housing different sexes seperatly,

3. just want to because they feel like it,

4. interested in the hole factor of raising rodent babys,

5. bordom, with nothing better to do.

6. just because you have a male and a female availible,

do you agree with these resons to breed? I DONT!!!! :mad: there are so many unwanted pets in the world today that why would anyone want to breed, when really they are just adding to the population.

GoldenRetrLuver
04-30-2003, 03:50 PM
i dont agree with those reasons either!:mad:

Desert Arabian
04-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Yes, I do believe in it. :rolleyes: YEAH RIGHT! And if anyone does say yes must be drunk!

bluekat
04-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Of course not! In order to breed, I think you have to love animals and breeding, and not care about the money, etc.

jenluckenbach
04-30-2003, 06:48 PM
I'd like to add one other type of reckless breeding......simply not neutering!!!!!!!!!!

I realize that this might pertain more to cats/dogs than rodents, but let me site an examle that crossed my path just this week:

A lovely white cat came into the grooming shop for a bath because he had run away from home and was gone for a while and got filthy....................HE WASN"T NEUTERED!!!!!!!! so what do YOU think he's been doing????????????Getting every female in a 50 mile radius pregnant, that's what he's been doing!!!!!!!!

Could this have been prevented?????????????
YES!!!!!!!!!If he'd have been neutered in the first place.:mad:

tikeyas_mom
04-30-2003, 07:10 PM
AGREED!!!!

wolfsoul
04-30-2003, 10:41 PM
I'm confused. the poll asks if we agree with breeding rodents. I don't agree with recklessly breeding them, but I agree with breeding them. There are many places that breed them wonderfully :)

wolf_Q
04-30-2003, 11:15 PM
Hmmmmmm........what about if somebody has 2 gerbils, is not sure on the sex, but houses them together anyway....doesn't separate the cage or get 2 different cages ("no income") and sees them mating and doesn't try to stop it. Sounds like reckless (and preventable) breeding to me.

tikeyas_mom
05-01-2003, 12:03 AM
this is simply for reckless breeding.

Hmmmmmm........what about if somebody has 2 gerbils, is not sure on the sex, but houses them together anyway....doesn't separate the cage or get 2 different cages ("no income") and sees them mating and doesn't try to stop it. Sounds like reckless (and preventable) breeding to me.

yes I admit me not being prepared with another cage and stoping them breeding was reckless. And I am mad at my self for that. I also admit that I bred my hamsters recklessly even though I did research and had 2 extra cages I didnt know there genetic background. I am glad you pointed that out wolf_Q..

I dont think that all breeding should stop, just if you have no real reason to do it then why??

CathyBogart
05-03-2003, 02:06 AM
Most people should not be allowed to breed any sort of animal in my opinion. There are many many rodents in need of homes.....

Another thing that bugs me is when people bring a new animal into their home without properly quarantining. A proper quarantine is at another house, for at least two weeks. I have seen several people who brought home a new animal only to have it get the rest of theirs sick. Oh well, all it would have taken was a quarantine....

primabella
05-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

Agreed.

I also admit that I bred my hamsters recklessly even though I did research and had 2 extra cages I didnt know there genetic background

Why did you breed them in the first place?? :confused:

I don't agree with any kind of reckless breeding. And those who just mate their pets for whatever reasons don't deserve any title but moron. Breeders are people who do wonderful things to help keep a certain breed going.

primabella
05-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Most people should not be allowed to breed any sort of animal in my opinion. There are many many rodents in need of homes.....

Another thing that bugs me is when people bring a new animal into their home without properly quarantining. A proper quarantine is at another house, for at least two weeks. I have seen several people who brought home a new animal only to have it get the rest of theirs sick. Oh well, all it would have taken was a quarantine....

The breeder kept Mickey for 2 weeks and didn't even allow us to go near the pups at the risk of getting them sick. (they weren't vaccinated yet) We were only able to touch him when he went to pick him up at 7 weeks old.

What is quarantine exactly? Is it when you isolate the pet for awhile--or something like that? lol :p

wolfsoul
05-04-2003, 01:35 PM
What is quarantine exactly? Is it when you isolate the pet for awhile--or something like that? lol
Yes, it's when you isolate them for a certain period of time to keep them safe from illness. Like what some people do with a new pet before introducing it to the other pets.

The spca here had to quarantine these poor dogs for pretty much a year because they had giarnia, and that could be given to humans as well. It was so sad :( And most of those dogs ended up having to be put down due to their social nature anyways :(

allanimalswelcome
05-10-2003, 07:44 AM
I certainly don't! I had a bunch of rats when I was younger and believe me the last thing we wanted was another batch of babies. We kept the girls and the boys seperated but we did have a few mishaps. We didn't sell any of the offspring. I think we should have neutured them but our vet didn't offer that service at the time.

~Rachel

gkristian
05-12-2003, 02:06 AM
I don;t agree

IttyBittyKitty
06-02-2003, 03:47 AM
I agree with Jen ... the most "reckless" breeding is allowing Toms to walk around and impregnate every female in the area. The attitude most people take is "well, it can't get pregnant so who cares?" :mad: :mad:

You need a license to drive a car, burn leaves, and operate a forklift. But, you don't need a license to own a pet, or to breed it!!