PDA

View Full Version : I am so upset :-(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-30-2003, 10:31 AM
If you remember, my Aunt had gotten a new kitty (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23301&highlight=Hazelle) a little over a month ago. Well, not last weekend, but the weekend before (4/18-4/20) my Mom, my Aunt, me and Terry went to the spa for the weekend (which was wonderful by the way) and my Aunt took Hazelle back to her original owner for the weekend so she wouldn't be home alone all weekend, and to clip her nails since my Aunt couldn't figure out how to do it.

When she got back Sunday night, she immediately went to pick up Hazelle and the original owner (a breeder) told her that it seemed like Hazelle was underweight, and she wanted to keep her for a few days to see if she could get her to eat again. A few days later, my Aunt received an email saying that Hazelle really wasn't eating that well, and the original owner would be taking her to the vet to find out what was wrong. Well, first of all, my Aunt got this email on Wednesday, and this other lady didn't take Hazelle to the vet until Saturday! The vet said Hazelle had a fever of 104 and was anemic. They "did a CBC and a few levels were indicative of something else going on. We decided not to treat her as we would just be prolonging her illness. She is in no pain right now, but as soon as she shows any sign of pain, we will have her put to sleep." This last is a direct quote from the email the original owner sent to my Aunt!

They did no further investigation to find out what was wrong with her and made no attempt to find out anything at all - just this "not to treat" plan, which is completely ridiculous in my opinion! If you click on the link above and read the original story, Hazelle had some sort of virus in her eye which they think was caused by eating Tuna. :rolleyes: Now, I obviously don't have all the details because I only know what my Aunt has told me, and she only knows what this other lady has told her, but I've got a major problem with them thinking she got a virus from eating tuna. This indicates to me that they might really have no idea what they are talking about, and now they are deciding not to treat! I asked my Aunt if they thought whatever is going on with her now had something to do with the original virus, but she had no idea, and has evidently not asked her "friend" for any further info.

I told my Aunt to go get Hazelle, bring her home, take her to a different vet, find out what's really wrong with her and get her healthy again! I really don't have a high opinion of breeders (sorry if any of you are because I know there are always exceptions to the rule) to begin with, and this one is really ticking me off. I feel like going to get Hazelle myself just to get her away from this lady. Unfortunately, she's a 3 hour car trip away so that can't happen. :(

When Hazelle was with my Aunt, she was the only kitty and was lavished with attention. When she is at this other lady's house, she is confined to a bedroom (thank God they at least didn't put her back in the bathroom) because this lady doesn't want Hazelle infecting the other 20-30 cats she has living there. :eek: And I'm sure she receives very little attention as she's locked up in her cell. So I told my Aunt that possibly the reason Hazelle wasn't eating was because of stress. And we've seen on this board how stress can mess with blood levels, so I told her then to go bring Hazelle home. Unfortunately it seems she is in a sort of tough position because this other lady is a friend, and they gave Hazelle to my Aunt, so I think she's feels that they know best and doesn't want to cause waves by questioning their decisions.

My Aunt was all happy about Hazelle and told us all about her while we were at the spa. So they had really bonded during the month they were together, and I am just so sad and upset that this other lady has just really taken control. They offered my Aunt a "healthy, beautiful Birman" as if to say that Hazelle wasn't beautiful just because her one eye was foggy from the virus. :mad: I told my Aunt that if she does decide to get a different kitty, she should get a pound kitty because then she won't be beholden to this other lady and because there are so many out there that are looking for good homes whereas this other lady's cats all have a home (no comment on how good that home is).

Sorry, I had to rant. I am just so upset and :mad: :mad: :mad: about this whole thing. However I do believe that everything happens for a reason. I'm hoping the reason Hazelle was brought into my Aunt's life was so that she would save her from a shortened sorry life in this lady's bedroom. :mad:

K & L
04-30-2003, 10:40 AM
This is NOT right! Hazelle was given to your Aunt and should be given back to her! I would demand her back and then take her to my own vet. Did all this happen when she was staying there? Was there any signs of sickness before?

HayleyRosie
04-30-2003, 10:54 AM
If Hazelle was a gift or not she is still owned by your aunt. I think she should go get her and take her to another vet to get a second opinion. I hope everything works out okay. Please keep us posted. I'll be praying for little Hazelle.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by K & L
Did all this happen when she was staying there? Was there any signs of sickness before?

We were discussing cat food at the spa, and my Aunt was telling me how this other lady was providing her with food - a combination of 4 different kinds of food, which is what she feeds all the cats. My Aunt never said anything about Hazelle not eating, but she did mention that she was a tiny little thing. Well, she's a female and still a kitten (about 8 months old I think) so she would be small. I don't think Birmans are big cats like Maine Coones.

Again, I'm really not sure of all the details, but since my Aunt never mentioned anything, I think the not eating started when the other lady had her - which could very well be because of the stress. I mean, what kitty wouldn't be stressed when you go from being a precious, adored only pet with the run of the house to basically an inmate, stuck in one room with a lot less attention and 20-30 other cats sniffing at the door all the time.

I really hope my Aunt makes the right decision and takes Hazelle back. She said she is going over there tomorrow, so she will definitely have time to read my email telling her to get Hazelle back before she goes.

I'm just so sad and upset about the whole thing. :( :mad: :( :mad:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by HayleyRosie
I'll be praying for little Hazelle.

HayleyRosie, thanks for reminding me! I was so caught up in being upset that I completely forgot about the power of Pet Talk prayer!

Please everybody, send out a prayer or two that my Aunt makes the right decision and takes Hazelle back. Even if it turns out that Hazelle really is sick, at least she will live out her life in a comfortable, loving home rather than stuck in a bedroom all alone. :(

Barbara
04-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Anyway your aunt is the owner and she really should see that she gets Hazelle back. It is your aunt's decision to treat an illness and not the ex-owner's.
I have no idea about Birmans but I know a healthy 3 year old 6 lb Persian BTW.
Good luck for all of you. Fingers and paws crossed here:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Sending prayers that Hazelle is back with your Aunt and on the way to recovery real quick!

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Poor Hazelle...
I will be sure to pray for her!...
I hope your Aunt gets her back.. it sure sounds like she was headed towards a wonderful life...
keep us updated.

Russian Blue
04-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Awww.....the poor little thing!

Like everyone else said, get that cat and get another vet's opinion. And if the kitten is isolated in another room, I'm sure the kitten is getting depressed and making her medical condition worse.

What is this about getting an eye infection from tuna?? I'm no medical expert, but this sounds fishy (pun intended)!

;)

rg_girlca
04-30-2003, 05:24 PM
I agree that your aunt should go and get HER kitty back ASAP.
I pray that your aunt makes the right decision.

slick
04-30-2003, 07:32 PM
To your Aunt: What are you waiting for!!! Go get little Hazelle and take her to another vet! It's just that simple!! Prayers on the way.

batgirl1980
04-30-2003, 08:01 PM
Well, I can't add anything that the others haven't.

Hazelle should go back with to your aunt and then to a vet that actually CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if the the lady even took Hazelle to the vet, or just SAID she did??? Sorry, I just have a distrust of breeders and anyone who can't treat cats right. The way this lady is treating Hazelle is wrong.

I'm praying your aunt will get her back and Hazelle can start getting better!!!

TheAntiPam
04-30-2003, 08:08 PM
I'm praying for Hazelle, your aunt and you - what a trauma for you all! So many people (like that breeder) have such a warped sense of their duty to other creatures. (In my opinion) we're here to be their caretakers, not their exploiters!

Meanwhile, I'm also doing some wishful thinking - if only we could have a PetTalk Rescue Squad - storm in and right the wrongs of the animal world! I bet we'd have a great bunch of volunteers - and we'd look great in our PTRS uniforms!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-01-2003, 01:36 PM
I have no update yet. My Aunt said she was going to this other ladies house for a visit today, and would let me know what transpired when she got back home. Since this other lady is a friend of hers, she feels that asking for Hazelle back or taking in a shelter kitty would be insulting to her friend. Ok, so I can see how taking in a shelter kitty would be insulting, but I don't get how asking for Hazelle back would be. :confused:

From what little she says about their arrangement with Hazelle, it sounds like maybe she was more fostering her than keeping her. The other lady was still going to pay all vet bills and provide Hazelle with all her food, so she basically wouldn't cost my Aunt anything, and the other people would still be in control. :mad:

So the good news is she (my Aunt) doesn't hate me for speaking my mind, and she will let me know how it all turns out, and I will in turn let you know.

She keeps insisting that the other lady cares deeply for her cats, and since I've never met her I guess I have to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she still irks me in her actions with Hazelle.

And AntiPam, I want to be on your newly founded PTRS! :D

NoahsMommy
05-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Poor things. :( I think the only thing we can do is pray for sweet Hazell. It sounds like this lady is going to do what she wants with her, not whats best for her. :( :( :(

The power of Pet Talk prayer is amazing. I just know God can help.

NoahsMommy
05-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by TheAntiPam
Meanwhile, I'm also doing some wishful thinking - if only we could have a PetTalk Rescue Squad - storm in and right the wrongs of the animal world! I bet we'd have a great bunch of volunteers - and we'd look great in our PTRS uniforms!
oh, oh, oh!! I want to be a PTRS!!!!!!!!!!

PayItForward
05-01-2003, 02:25 PM
What a horrible situation. :(

I hope young Hazelle gets good medical care and a good home (Hopefully with your aunt)

Please keep everyone posted.

catland
05-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Your aunt needs to do some serious manipulation of this woman!:mad:

One possible idea - have your Aunt say to the breeder "you've taken such wonderful care of Hazel - but you have so many other kitties to take care of that I can take her home for her final days so that you don't have the stress and worry of her infecting any of your other precious kitties"

then she should get that kitty the h**l out of there and to another vet!

(prayers on the way!)

Cincy'sMom
05-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Hoping and praying this works out for your aunt. That is awful that someone else would decided to put her cat to sleep without even asking her! I don't care if sheis the breeder ornot, it is no longer her cat!

I want to join the PTRS too!!!

batgirl1980
05-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by TheAntiPam

oooooh me too me too!!!!! PTRS TO THE RESCUE!!!! :D :D :D

Cheshirekatt
05-01-2003, 09:26 PM
It sounds to me like you aunts friend may have knowingly set your aunt up with a sick cat. It kinda sounds like she didn't want this particular cat in her cattery because she knew she was sick and contagious. Do you think it might be FIP? Sort of sounds like it.

krazyaboutkatz
05-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Debbie, I sure hope that your aunt will be able to get her cat back and that poor little Hazel will be okay. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
It sounds to me like you aunts friend may have knowingly set your aunt up with a sick cat. It kinda sounds like she didn't want this particular cat in her cattery because she knew she was sick and contagious. Do you think it might be FIP? Sort of sounds like it.

I'm beginning to think this lady knew a lot more than she told my Aunt. All my Aunt knew was that Hazelle had some sort of virus in her eye (supposedly from eating Tuna :rolleyes:) and her eye was cloudy because of it, and the lady wanted to keep her away from the rest so she wouldn't spread the virus. The lady also offered to provide all Hazelle's food and pay for any vet bills. The "pay for any vet bills" indicates to me that she knew there was more going on with Hazelle than she told my Aunt. Which is kind of cruel knowing my Aunt would get attached to her. It would have been a completely different story had my Aunt known she was dealing with a sick kitty and something like this might happen.

I think this lady knows she's dealing with a novice cat owner, and also a novice cat owner that trusts her judgement implicitly when it comes to cats since they are friends.

I know this lady knows that my Aunt grew very attached to Hazelle in the short month that she had her, so - to give her the benefit of the doubt :rolleyes: - maybe she was trying to spare my Aunt some dreadful details.

I still haven't heard anything. My Aunt was to go over there yesterday, so I'll have to wait for an email. I'll be sure and let you all know as soon as I know.

It's just a really sad, sad situation. :(